Computer won't Power On

Sieon

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2004
The motherboard I am using is an ELITEGROUP N2U400-A. I am using a Athlon XP, Barton 2600+ processor. When I first built this computer I used a different case, I put it together in that case and it worked with (Seemingly) no problem. I later decided to use a different case and it will not power up. No fans will start, the power supply won't start, no noises, nothing. I've tried removing all excess components and the problem persisted. Please reply with anything you might feel would be helpful.

(I do not have a voltometer, so I can't test the power supply. The case was purchased new, so hopefully it is not faulty.)

Sieon

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2004
I think the motherboard might, somehow, have gotten shot during the transfer. Any input at all would be appreciated.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
LOL, you have to pull it back out and remove the mounting pin (aka standoff) that's not lined up with a mounting hole, the board's shorted. To verify what I'm saying, pull the board out and try firing it up with CPU/RAM/Video/Power only, while it's lying on a phone book. You can jump the power switch connector with a screwdriver (momentary contact, just like hitting a power button).

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Sieon

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2004
I actually couldn't use any standoffs, otherwise the board wouldn't have been able to align with the io ports in the rear. I will try taking it out of the case, however.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Hehe, you have to use standoffs, else the entire board will contact the entire mounting plate and short out. Now, some cases have stamped in mounting points (built in, as opposed to screw in, standoffs). And if a built-in standoff is in the wrong position, your only mounting options are to flatten it, tape it, or flatten AND tape it, to prevent it from contacting circuits on the back of the board.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Sieon

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2004
I'm tired right now, but I will definately check it out later. I really appreciate the advice. I will post the results I get, whatever they may be.