What does everyone think about this?

cyberjock

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2004
I currently have a dual processor Xeon 2.8Ghz with 400Mhz FSB. I have done alot of reading about dual processor configurations, and the biggest problem is that the chips share the bus, so that is the most limiting component quite often. I had been thinking about getting a new motherboard and chips with a 533 FSB, but I didn't think it would be worth the money(2 chips, motherboard, and new ram gets expensive). Well, since the 800Mhz chips are out I've really had my mouth watering over a pair of those running, but I've also read all about the AMD 64bit chips running dual processor with hypertransport technology. I am a big Intel user, and I realllllly wouldn't want to go AMD, but it seems i'm caught between a rock and a hard place when it comes to building a computer for bragging rights.
So, assuming I am going with Intel technology once again, when would be a good time to really consider upgrading? I've read that the NTX(no execution code) is supposed to be implemented some time in the near future, but when is it supposed to be implemented if anyone knows. I've also read somewhere that Intel is going to be releasing a new socket for xeons(MIGHT have been P4s, or might have been both). Does anyone know when/if intel has told us when a new xeon socket is coming out? I'd hate to put a bunch of money on this stuff and find out my socket is gonna be canned in 3 months. And, last but not least, is there anything special I should wait for in terms of new specs being added to xeons? I know there's supposed to be a technology called DBS on xeons some time soon, but nobody seems to know when. Anyone have any good idea on anything to do with this chip and it's future?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Hmm, the Opteron competes against both the Xeon AND the Itanium, think of it as getting an Itanium competitave CPU at a Xeon price!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>