Reception strength and dropped call......

Last response: in Network Providers
August 10, 2004 3:06:56 AM

I borrowed someone's phone to test reception at my house. The phone
was an old (2 years) LG flip phone. All way up to my house, full
strength. Inside my house, I was at 1-2 bars. Within 30 seconds, I
had a dropped call.

Will newer phones have better signal/sound quality than old LG phones?
I thought I read once that old LG phones were pretty good, which is my
concern. Currently have AT&T (TDMA) and have decent reception of 2-3
bars at house on a Nokia phone.

Any recommendations or opinions greatly appreciated.

-Clayton
Anonymous
August 10, 2004 2:10:03 PM

Teddeli <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

> Actually, Verizon (landline) and Verizon wireless are two different
> companies.

He is aware of that. Don't bother him with facts :)

August 10, 2004 10:34:19 PM

I have the 6000 and cannot make a call without dropping it in my
house. My wife's Samsung works fine no matter where she is in the
house.

On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 23:06:56 GMT, Dooler <doolc@comcast.net> wrote:

>I borrowed someone's phone to test reception at my house. The phone
>was an old (2 years) LG flip phone. All way up to my house, full
>strength. Inside my house, I was at 1-2 bars. Within 30 seconds, I
>had a dropped call.
>
>Will newer phones have better signal/sound quality than old LG phones?
>I thought I read once that old LG phones were pretty good, which is my
>concern. Currently have AT&T (TDMA) and have decent reception of 2-3
>bars at house on a Nokia phone.
>
>Any recommendations or opinions greatly appreciated.
>
>-Clayton
August 11, 2004 2:28:15 AM

Dooler <doolc@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<le0gh0hvbjme5bsj7n1ndkjkdtvuc5gm3p@4ax.com>...

> Will newer phones have better signal/sound quality than old LG phones?
> I thought I read once that old LG phones were pretty good, which is my
> concern. Currently have AT&T (TDMA) and have decent reception of 2-3
> bars at house on a Nokia phone.

Signal bars are an unreliable way to judge a handset's ability to make
calls, especially in fringe areas. Sometimes I can make calls with no
bars in a fringe digital signal area. Often the phone has four bars
and is unable to complete a call. Different phones measure signal
strength in various ways.

Often, the limiting factor in completing a call, is the handset's lack
of power to reach back to the tower.
Generally, I've found longer antennas to work better in fringe areas.
The fixed stub types seem to have the worst fringe performance. The
Nokias has some of the best fringe performance. I have a Nokia 3585i
(Non-color 3589i version) and the digital performance is truly
outstanding, but choose to live with an older audiovox 9500 (excellent
RF) due to a prefered UI and phone book qualities etc. The Audiovox
has a huge antenna while the Nokia, as far as I can tell, after
disassembly and testing, only seems to use the internal antenna,
despite having a retractable antenna as well.
There is a new, non Verizon model Nokia that users a reporting works,
mostly on Verizon and has good RF performance. Forgot the model
number.

There are comparitive RF ratings posted from time to time, by
users/dealers with access to many models.

Generally, stay away from fixed stub antenna phones. The newer
Audiovoxs seem to be poor fringe performers. I was just helping a kid
while camping on a lake to get a signal. It's was pretty good testing
place for everyone's Verizon handsets. There were clear winners and
losers. The phones with the worst performance needed to get very close
to the nearby lake, to take advantage of what seems like a boost (or
lack of dissapation) of the cellular signal bouncing off the water.
The other way to get a signal out in the woods is to get higher up the
hill.

It's a hassle, but hooking up a directional type Yagi antenna was a
succesful method to boost the signal with out having to go up the hill
or down to the water, provided the handset has the capacity to use an
external antenna adapter. Trees or foilage block signal so a clear
line of sight to the local tower is very important.

Finding the code to access the hidden sub menus in a handset and then
learning to read the RX/TX (input/output power values) displayed on
the DEBUG screen is a more accurate way to view what going on with the
phones power levels. There are certain points like around -100db
(received signal) strength, where my phone could still make a call.
-106db, for instance, is a very poor received signal and no calls are
possible. External antennas are an option, but require decent a good
antenna, setting it up and then being tethered by a connecting wire.
External antennas don't perform miracles, but a directional type Yagi
and low loss connecting wire, made for drop free calling, from a
location where calls where marginal at best. Most of the antennas on
cars are simply to get keep the metal shell of the car from degrading
the receive signal. Not much of a boost, although there are some that
can, and the usual "spring" type don't require aiming, and can receve
a signal from any tower within range.

In short, some of the newer phones seem to have better digital
reception, than older models, but the use of stub antennas seems to
reduce fringe performance. Besides the Nokias, I haven't seen reports
of any super performing handsets (there could be some out). There are
definitely some sub performers, but most users won't see dramatic
differences unless they get into fringe type situations.

What counts is the ability to complete and hold a call, despite what
any signal meter or debug screen displays. Side by side tests, with
various phones, while making a number of test calls is the most
telling comparison method. Unactivated phones can still call 611 for
call completion testing.

-
David
Anonymous
August 11, 2004 3:03:33 AM

On 8/10/04 10:14 AM, in article dslhh0hf4ocoa7ccu8a3f1fuauofipo2nb@4ax.com,
"Teddeli" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

> Actually, Verizon (landline) and Verizon wireless are two different
> companies.

Actually, Verizon Wireless is a partnership of Verizon and Vodafone. Not
wholly Veirzon, but still part of the same family of companies with a lot of
ties to Verizon...

" Headquartered in Bedminster, NJ, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of
Verizon Communications (NYSE:VZ) and Vodafone (NYSE and LSE: VOD)."
Anonymous
August 11, 2004 4:59:10 PM

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 23:03:33 -0400, Sneaker Freak
<sneakerfreak@covad.net> wrote:

>On 8/10/04 10:14 AM, in article dslhh0hf4ocoa7ccu8a3f1fuauofipo2nb@4ax.com,
>"Teddeli" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
>

>> Actually, Verizon (landline) and Verizon wireless are two different
>> companies.
>
>Actually, Verizon Wireless is a partnership of Verizon and Vodafone. Not
>wholly Veirzon, but still part of the same family of companies with a lot of
>ties to Verizon...
>
>" Headquartered in Bedminster, NJ, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of
>Verizon Communications (NYSE:VZ) and Vodafone (NYSE and LSE: VOD)."

What you say may be true but there is absolutely no connection between
my Verizon landline and Verizonwireless billing, customer service, or
repair issues.
August 11, 2004 4:59:11 PM

Teddeli wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 23:03:33 -0400, Sneaker Freak
> <sneakerfreak@covad.net> wrote:
>

>>On 8/10/04 10:14 AM, in article dslhh0hf4ocoa7ccu8a3f1fuauofipo2nb@4ax.com,
>>"Teddeli" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
>>

>>>Actually, Verizon (landline) and Verizon wireless are two different
>>>companies.
>>
>>Actually, Verizon Wireless is a partnership of Verizon and Vodafone. Not
>>wholly Veirzon, but still part of the same family of companies with a lot of
>>ties to Verizon...
>>
>>" Headquartered in Bedminster, NJ, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of
>>Verizon Communications (NYSE:VZ) and Vodafone (NYSE and LSE: VOD)."
>>

> What you say may be true but there is absolutely no connection between
> my Verizon landline and Verizonwireless billing, customer service, or
> repair issues.

It certainly looks like the billing is connected; check out the
following information from http://www.vzmultimedia.com/onebill/

"Spending too much time paying bills every month? At Verizon Wireless
and Verizon local, we've combined our billing process to help you
simplify your life...and make progress every day!

With ONE-BILL services from Verizon, you can pay for all of your Verizon
local, Verizon Wireless, and Long Distance* calls on ONE bill with ONE
check at ONE time."
Anonymous
August 11, 2004 4:59:12 PM

Tom <tom@cox.net> wrote:

> "Spending too much time paying bills every month? At Verizon Wireless
> and Verizon local, we've combined our billing process to help you
> simplify your life...and make progress every day!
>
> With ONE-BILL services from Verizon, you can pay for all of your Verizon
> local, Verizon Wireless, and Long Distance* calls on ONE bill with ONE
> check at ONE time."

This means little. Communications providers and other companies, third-parties
that have not relation whatsoever to Verizon, can pay Verizon and the other
ILECS to have their services billed on peoples' phone bills. There is a
relationship between VZ and VZW, but this doesn't prove that that relationship
exists.

August 11, 2004 7:41:28 PM

"Teddeli" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message

> What you say may be true but there is absolutely no connection between
> my Verizon landline and Verizonwireless billing, customer service, or
> repair issues.

I get both my VW and regular Verizon bills all on the same bill... So I
would say that they ARE connected eh?

--
God Bless America!

Bob the Printer

Our web pages are located at:
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/bdolson/
Anonymous
August 11, 2004 7:41:29 PM

Bob the Printer wrote:
> "Teddeli" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>
>> What you say may be true but there is absolutely no connection
>> between my Verizon landline and Verizonwireless billing, customer
>> service, or repair issues.
>
> I get both my VW and regular Verizon bills all on the same bill... So
> I would say that they ARE connected eh?

Well... I get my LD billing on my Local wireline bill and I pick
my LD service. I guess it's a matter of degree?

-Quick
Anonymous
August 11, 2004 7:41:30 PM

Quick <quick7135-news@nospamyahoo.com> wrote:

>> I get both my VW and regular Verizon bills all on the same bill... So
>> I would say that they ARE connected eh?
>
> Well... I get my LD billing on my Local wireline bill and I pick
> my LD service. I guess it's a matter of degree?

As I mentioned before, just about any service provider can contract with
the telephone companies to bill their services on the customer's phone bill,
so Bob's assertion means very little.

August 11, 2004 8:44:19 PM

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 09:10:53 -0400, Tom <tom@cox.net> wrote:

>Teddeli wrote:
>> On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 23:03:33 -0400, Sneaker Freak
>> <sneakerfreak@covad.net> wrote:

>>>Actually, Verizon Wireless is a partnership of Verizon and Vodafone. Not
>>>wholly Veirzon, but still part of the same family of companies with a lot of
>>>ties to Verizon...
>>>
>>>" Headquartered in Bedminster, NJ, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of
>>>Verizon Communications (NYSE:VZ) and Vodafone (NYSE and LSE: VOD)."
>>>

>> What you say may be true but there is absolutely no connection between
>> my Verizon landline and Verizonwireless billing, customer service, or
>> repair issues.
>
>It certainly looks like the billing is connected; check out the
>following information from http://www.vzmultimedia.com/onebill/
>
>"Spending too much time paying bills every month? At Verizon Wireless
>and Verizon local, we've combined our billing process to help you
>simplify your life...and make progress every day!
>
>With ONE-BILL services from Verizon, you can pay for all of your Verizon
>local, Verizon Wireless, and Long Distance* calls on ONE bill with ONE
>check at ONE time."

I do not subscribe to that feature.
I do not have Verizon Long Distance either.

I receive two separate bills.

If there is a problem with my landline I must call Verizon.

For cell phone issues I deal with Verizonwireless.
For me one has absolutely nothing to do with the other.

As for the Onebill you refer to you might pay one bill but the
services are not the same. My wife has a Macy's Visa card. Does that
mean Macy's and Visa are the same company?

If you have a specific store credit card you receive a bill from a
credit card company that administers the account. One has nothing to
do with the other except billing.
Anonymous
August 11, 2004 9:22:29 PM

Here in Wichita, KS the electric company has been billing for the gas
company.
They are two separate companies.
Now they are each going to send out their own bills.
I guess they will became UNCONNECTED when this happens!

sjsobol@JustThe.net
> PGP Key available from your friendly local key server (0xE3AE35ED)
> Apple Valley, California Nothing scares me anymore. I have three kids.
August 11, 2004 9:59:06 PM

Steven J Sobol wrote:
> Tom <tom@cox.net> wrote:
>

>>"Spending too much time paying bills every month? At Verizon Wireless
>>and Verizon local, we've combined our billing process to help you
>>simplify your life...and make progress every day!
>>
>>With ONE-BILL services from Verizon, you can pay for all of your Verizon
>>local, Verizon Wireless, and Long Distance* calls on ONE bill with ONE
>>check at ONE time."
>

> This means little. Communications providers and other companies, third-parties
> that have not relation whatsoever to Verizon, can pay Verizon and the other
> ILECS to have their services billed on peoples' phone bills. There is a
> relationship between VZ and VZW, but this doesn't prove that that relationship
> exists.

OK.
August 11, 2004 10:00:26 PM

Teddeli wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 09:10:53 -0400, Tom <tom@cox.net> wrote:
>

>>Teddeli wrote:

>>>What you say may be true but there is absolutely no connection between
>>>my Verizon landline and Verizonwireless billing, customer service, or
>>>repair issues.
>>
>>It certainly looks like the billing is connected; check out the
>>following information from http://www.vzmultimedia.com/onebill/
>>
>>"Spending too much time paying bills every month? At Verizon Wireless
>>and Verizon local, we've combined our billing process to help you
>>simplify your life...and make progress every day!
>>
>>With ONE-BILL services from Verizon, you can pay for all of your Verizon
>>local, Verizon Wireless, and Long Distance* calls on ONE bill with ONE
>>check at ONE time."
>

> I do not subscribe to that feature.
> I do not have Verizon Long Distance either.
>
> I receive two separate bills.
>
> If there is a problem with my landline I must call Verizon.
>
> For cell phone issues I deal with Verizonwireless.
> For me one has absolutely nothing to do with the other.
>
> As for the Onebill you refer to you might pay one bill but the
> services are not the same. My wife has a Macy's Visa card. Does that
> mean Macy's and Visa are the same company?
>
> If you have a specific store credit card you receive a bill from a
> credit card company that administers the account. One has nothing to
> do with the other except billing.
OK.
Anonymous
August 12, 2004 2:42:03 AM

On 8/11/04 8:59 AM, in article mr5kh0linuj8dggtihghh7sukbacdf209o@4ax.com,
"Teddeli" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 23:03:33 -0400, Sneaker Freak
> <sneakerfreak@covad.net> wrote:
>
>> On 8/10/04 10:14 AM, in article dslhh0hf4ocoa7ccu8a3f1fuauofipo2nb@4ax.com,
>> "Teddeli" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
>>

>>> Actually, Verizon (landline) and Verizon wireless are two different
>>> companies.
>>
>> Actually, Verizon Wireless is a partnership of Verizon and Vodafone. Not
>> wholly Veirzon, but still part of the same family of companies with a lot of
>> ties to Verizon...
>>
>> " Headquartered in Bedminster, NJ, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of
>> Verizon Communications (NYSE:VZ) and Vodafone (NYSE and LSE: VOD)."
>>
> What you say may be true but there is absolutely no connection between
> my Verizon landline and Verizonwireless billing, customer service, or
> repair issues.

It is true. Click on www.verizonwireless.com and then About... Right there.
Anonymous
August 12, 2004 5:09:51 AM

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 15:41:28 -0400, "Bob the Printer"
<bdolson@comcast.net> wrote:

>"Teddeli" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>
>> What you say may be true but there is absolutely no connection between
>> my Verizon landline and Verizonwireless billing, customer service, or
>> repair issues.
>
>I get both my VW and regular Verizon bills all on the same bill... So I
>would say that they ARE connected eh?

Next time you have a problem with your Verizonwireless phone or bill,
call Verizon. Let us know what happens.
Anonymous
August 12, 2004 5:09:52 AM

Teddeli <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

> Next time you have a problem with your Verizonwireless phone or bill,
> call Verizon. Let us know what happens.

Just to make things interesting, there are Verizon Plus stores in this
area where you can buy landline phones, fax machines, etc. You can order
changes to your landline service, pay your landline/DSL bill and order DSL.

....And, of course, you can pay your Verizon Wireless bill (but only if you
have your VZW statement) and they sell VZW service and phones.

Confusing, eh? I don't know if the Verizon Plus stores are considered
corporate stores - my guess is, probably not, they're probably authorized
retail agents and not technically "VZW corporate" stores.

August 12, 2004 5:14:14 PM

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 22:42:03 -0400, Sneaker Freak
<sneakerfreak@covad.net> wrote:

>On 8/11/04 8:59 AM, in article mr5kh0linuj8dggtihghh7sukbacdf209o@4ax.com,
>"Teddeli" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 23:03:33 -0400, Sneaker Freak
>> <sneakerfreak@covad.net> wrote:

>>> Actually, Verizon Wireless is a partnership of Verizon and Vodafone. Not
>>> wholly Veirzon, but still part of the same family of companies with a lot of
>>> ties to Verizon...
>>>
>>> " Headquartered in Bedminster, NJ, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of
>>> Verizon Communications (NYSE:VZ) and Vodafone (NYSE and LSE: VOD)."
>>>
>> What you say may be true but there is absolutely no connection between
>> my Verizon landline and Verizonwireless billing, customer service, or
>> repair issues.
>
>It is true. Click on www.verizonwireless.com and then About... Right there.

I'm sure that Verizon and Verizon wireless are a joint venture, which
according to definition is two parties sharing profit and risk.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/topics/joint_ventures.html

However on the consumer level there is no connection between the two.
Although there exists an option to pay for both services with one
payment, consumers deal with each company separately on service and
billing issues.
!