Unable to keep surround sound speaker setup for DOOM 3 sin..

In order to have surround sound in DOOM 3, I have to put my speaker
setup to Surround Sound Speakers. Ever since I got a new Sound Blaster
Audigy 2 card and telling it I have 4.1 speaker setup (old Klipsch
ProMedia v2-400 speakers), each Windows XP reboot resets my speaker
setup back to Quadraphonic speakers (4 speakers which is true for my
4.1 setup).

Is there a way to lock this down or make DOOM 3 ignore the surround
sound speaker requirement? This is a bit annoying. I didn't have this
problem with my old SB Live due to the old drivers. Audigy 2's drivers
are different.

Thank you in advance. :)
--
"Oh, look what Kyle got me, it's a red Mega... Ants in the pants? Ants
in the pants?! Ants in the Pants?!! ..." --Eric Cartman in South Park's
| |o o| | E-mail: philpi@earthlink.netANT or ANTant@zimage.com
\ _ / Nuke ANT from e-mail address if your e-mail was returned.
( )

On 9/25/2004 6:41 PM ANTant@zimage.com brightened our day with:

>In order to have surround sound in DOOM 3, I have to put my speaker
>setup to Surround Sound Speakers. Ever since I got a new Sound Blaster
>Audigy 2 card and telling it I have 4.1 speaker setup (old Klipsch
>ProMedia v2-400 speakers), each Windows XP reboot resets my speaker
>setup back to Quadraphonic speakers (4 speakers which is true for my
>4.1 setup).
>
>Is there a way to lock this down or make DOOM 3 ignore the surround
>sound speaker requirement? This is a bit annoying. I didn't have this
>problem with my old SB Live due to the old drivers. Audigy 2's drivers
>are different.
>
>Thank you in advance. :)

Enabling surround sound changes this cvar so try changing in your
autoexec.cfg it so it's correct
seta s_numberOfSpeakers "6"
is what mine is set at with 5 speaker system.
Disable CTHelper from startup programs.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\"....CTHelper.exe"
I don't really know this for sure, but I read somewhere that
CTHelper.exe syncs the Audigy Surround Mixer speaker settings with the CP.

I think changing, seta s_numberOfSpeakers, to 5 would be the first thing
I'd try. If you run surround setup without a center channel speaker
you'll miss hearing a ton of stuff.

--
"...forged but accurate."

Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
www.inglostadt.com

Inglo <ioo@??.¿¿¿> wrote:
> On 9/25/2004 6:41 PM ANTant@zimage.com brightened our day with:

> >In order to have surround sound in DOOM 3, I have to put my speaker
> >setup to Surround Sound Speakers. Ever since I got a new Sound Blaster
> >Audigy 2 card and telling it I have 4.1 speaker setup (old Klipsch
> >ProMedia v2-400 speakers), each Windows XP reboot resets my speaker
> >setup back to Quadraphonic speakers (4 speakers which is true for my
> >4.1 setup).
> >
> >Is there a way to lock this down or make DOOM 3 ignore the surround
> >sound speaker requirement? This is a bit annoying. I didn't have this
> >problem with my old SB Live due to the old drivers. Audigy 2's drivers
> >are different.
> >
> >Thank you in advance. :)
> >

> Enabling surround sound changes this cvar so try changing in your
> autoexec.cfg it so it's correct
> seta s_numberOfSpeakers "6"
> is what mine is set at with 5 speaker system.
> Disable CTHelper from startup programs.
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\"....CTHelper.exe"
> I don't really know this for sure, but I read somewhere that
> CTHelper.exe syncs the Audigy Surround Mixer speaker settings with the CP.

> I think changing, seta s_numberOfSpeakers, to 5 would be the first thing
> I'd try. If you run surround setup without a center channel speaker
> you'll miss hearing a ton of stuff.

What type of stuff without the center channel speaker?
--

On 9/25/2004 8:03 PM ANTant@zimage.com brightened our day with:

>>I think changing, seta s_numberOfSpeakers, to 5 would be the first thing
>>I'd try. If you run surround setup without a center channel speaker
>>you'll miss hearing a ton of stuff.
>>

>What type of stuff without the center channel speaker?

I really didn't explain myself very well there.
What I meant to say was since you have a 4.1 speaker system try
seta s_numberOfSpeakers "5"
I have a 5.1 speaker system and it's set at
seta s_numberOfSpeakers "6"
That would seem to make sense and would be worth a shot.

If you use 5.1 and don't have a center speaker, things like dialog will
be muted (because you're usually facing the person you're talking to),
any sound that should be coming right at you, you'll still hear but it
will be split into the two front speakers at reduced volume. I used to
have a 4.1 system + audigy and I tried faking 5.1, something was
definitely missing in games. In the case of dialog, you're looking
right at someone who's talking, it's very soft and hard to hear, turn
the mouse to the right a bit so your character's looking that way, all
of a sudden everything's loud and clear through the left speaker.

Another thing that's real important, don't have any EAX presets selected
in the Audigy EAX control panel, that will screw things up.

A lot of what I'm saying isn't just Doom 3, it applies to other games as
well.

--
"...forged but accurate."

Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
www.inglostadt.com

Inglo <ioo@??.¿¿¿> wrote:
> On 9/25/2004 8:03 PM ANTant@zimage.com brightened our day with:

> >>I think changing, seta s_numberOfSpeakers, to 5 would be the first thing
> >>I'd try. If you run surround setup without a center channel speaker
> >>you'll miss hearing a ton of stuff.
> >>

> >What type of stuff without the center channel speaker?
> >

> I really didn't explain myself very well there.
> What I meant to say was since you have a 4.1 speaker system try
> seta s_numberOfSpeakers "5"
> I have a 5.1 speaker system and it's set at
> seta s_numberOfSpeakers "6"
> That would seem to make sense and would be worth a shot.

> If you use 5.1 and don't have a center speaker, things like dialog will
> be muted (because you're usually facing the person you're talking to),
> any sound that should be coming right at you, you'll still hear but it
> will be split into the two front speakers at reduced volume. I used to
> have a 4.1 system + audigy and I tried faking 5.1, something was
> definitely missing in games. In the case of dialog, you're looking
> right at someone who's talking, it's very soft and hard to hear, turn
> the mouse to the right a bit so your character's looking that way, all
> of a sudden everything's loud and clear through the left speaker.

Hmmm, I haven't really noticed that. I will have to check that out again.

> Another thing that's real important, don't have any EAX presets selected
> in the Audigy EAX control panel, that will screw things up.

Yeah, I don't use the EAX in the control panel. I do use EAX if it is
available in the game.

> A lot of what I'm saying isn't just Doom 3, it applies to other games as
> well.

Ah, but at least some of those games let me pick Quadraphonic Speakers
if the option is available. DOOM 3 just forces me to use surround sound
or none.