Need to buy a phone outright

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
August 10, 2004 12:13:16 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular (More info?)

My Verizon 2 year contract has ended, I'm on a month-to-month basis
now. I want to keep my existing calling plan, it's better than any of
the plans currently being offered. I'm thinking about getting a new
phone, but I don't want to use the "new every 2" option because that
would require signing another 2 year contract with Verizon.

Where can I buy a brand new Verizon ready phone at a good price?
Something simple, I'm not looking for any bells and whistles; my
current phone is a Kyocera 2135 and it has suited me just fine. The
only reason I'm looking into getting a new phone is that the Kyocera
is 2 years old now, and I'm assuming it's going to die on me in the
not too distant future. (What's the average life expectancy of these
phones anyway?)

I don't want to use e-bay, I'd rather buy from somewhere that has
warranty service available if necessary.

More about : buy phone outright

Anonymous
August 10, 2004 1:39:58 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular (More info?)

In article <80417b15.0408100713.2b71f2e3@posting.google.com>,
starved@rock.com (Legend) wrote:

> My Verizon 2 year contract has ended, I'm on a month-to-month basis
> now. I want to keep my existing calling plan, it's better than any of
> the plans currently being offered. I'm thinking about getting a new
> phone, but I don't want to use the "new every 2" option because that
> would require signing another 2 year contract with Verizon.

You can still do that without changing your plan.

I doubt that you can get a phone at any reasonable discount without
extending your contract. You do have the option of a one-year contract,
at the one-year discounted price if you don't want to commit yourself
for two years.

--
Stop Mad Cowboy Disease: Vote for John Kerry.
Anonymous

"Legend" <starved@rock.com> wrote in message
> My Verizon 2 year contract has ended, I'm on a month-to-month basis
> now. I want to keep my existing calling plan, it's better than any of
> the plans currently being offered. I'm thinking about getting a new
> phone, but I don't want to use the "new every 2" option because that
> would require signing another 2 year contract with Verizon.
>
> Where can I buy a brand new Verizon ready phone at a good price?
> Something simple, I'm not looking for any bells and whistles; my
> current phone is a Kyocera 2135 and it has suited me just fine. The
> only reason I'm looking into getting a new phone is that the Kyocera
> is 2 years old now, and I'm assuming it's going to die on me in the
> not too distant future. (What's the average life expectancy of these
> phones anyway?)

Phone should be good for a long while. It's the batteries that wear out.

Try Ebay or other searches for a battery. Should be able to find one between
$5 and $20.
Related resources
August 10, 2004 8:54:39 PM

On 10 Aug 2004 08:13:16 -0700, starved@rock.com (Legend) wrote:

>Where can I buy a brand new Verizon ready phone at a good price?
>Something simple, I'm not looking for any bells and whistles; my
>current phone is a Kyocera 2135 and it has suited me just fine. The
>only reason I'm looking into getting a new phone is that the Kyocera
>is 2 years old now, and I'm assuming it's going to die on me in the
>not too distant future. (What's the average life expectancy of these
>phones anyway?)

I've had a Nokia for four years and it's working good as ever. I
don't use it all the time but when I need to use it the phone works
fine. I'd assume similar from other manufacturers provided they have
a good reliability reputation.

remove NONO from .NONOcom to reply
August 10, 2004 10:37:25 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular (More info?)

I bought a phone at www.letstalk.com. Already set up to use with Verizon.
Just had to click on an internet link to activate.

"Legend" <starved@rock.com> wrote in message
> My Verizon 2 year contract has ended, I'm on a month-to-month basis
> now. I want to keep my existing calling plan, it's better than any of
> the plans currently being offered. I'm thinking about getting a new
> phone, but I don't want to use the "new every 2" option because that
> would require signing another 2 year contract with Verizon.
>
> Where can I buy a brand new Verizon ready phone at a good price?
> Something simple, I'm not looking for any bells and whistles; my
> current phone is a Kyocera 2135 and it has suited me just fine. The
> only reason I'm looking into getting a new phone is that the Kyocera
> is 2 years old now, and I'm assuming it's going to die on me in the
> not too distant future. (What's the average life expectancy of these
> phones anyway?)
>
> I don't want to use e-bay, I'd rather buy from somewhere that has
> warranty service available if necessary.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Anonymous
August 11, 2004 12:33:04 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular (More info?)

On 10 Aug 2004 08:13:16 -0700, starved@rock.com (Legend) wrote:

>Where can I buy a brand new Verizon ready phone at a good price?
>Something simple, I'm not looking for any bells and whistles; my
>current phone is a Kyocera 2135 and it has suited me just fine. The
>only reason I'm looking into getting a new phone is that the Kyocera
>is 2 years old now, and I'm assuming it's going to die on me in the
>not too distant future. (What's the average life expectancy of these
>phones anyway?)

Damn, dude. I wish you knew this a year ago.

VZW offers an extended warranty for $1.99/month. This essentially
extends the manufacturer's warranty for as long as you pay the fee.
The caveat: You must sign up for it before your 1 year warranty
expired. Sorry.

But if you later decide to buy another phone from them (even at the
one year price), you'll know the extended warranty option is there.
I've had my 3035 replaced twice under this program. No deductible,
either.
Anonymous
August 11, 2004 1:20:05 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular (More info?)

i pay the 4.99 which includes the manufacturers waranty but also any other
damages which would cost 50 dollars. I just switched out my 4500 for
free.... Also alot of times the techs tell you it is water damage when a
phone is malfunctioning. had it happen to two people i know at the same
store.

brian s.

"The Ghost of General Lee" <ghost@general.lee> wrote in message
> On 10 Aug 2004 08:13:16 -0700, starved@rock.com (Legend) wrote:
>
> >Where can I buy a brand new Verizon ready phone at a good price?
> >Something simple, I'm not looking for any bells and whistles; my
> >current phone is a Kyocera 2135 and it has suited me just fine. The
> >only reason I'm looking into getting a new phone is that the Kyocera
> >is 2 years old now, and I'm assuming it's going to die on me in the
> >not too distant future. (What's the average life expectancy of these
> >phones anyway?)
>
> Damn, dude. I wish you knew this a year ago.
>
> VZW offers an extended warranty for $1.99/month. This essentially
> extends the manufacturer's warranty for as long as you pay the fee.
> The caveat: You must sign up for it before your 1 year warranty
> expired. Sorry.
>
> But if you later decide to buy another phone from them (even at the
> one year price), you'll know the extended warranty option is there.
> I've had my 3035 replaced twice under this program. No deductible,
> either.

Anonymous
August 11, 2004 2:09:32 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular (More info?)

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 21:20:05 -0400, "Brian S."
<deadhead73@comcast.net> wrote:

>i pay the 4.99 which includes the manufacturers waranty but also any other
>damages which would cost 50 dollars. I just switched out my 4500 for
>free.... Also alot of times the techs tell you it is water damage when a
>phone is malfunctioning. had it happen to two people i know at the same
>store.

They can say "water damage" until they're blue in the face, but if the
litness paper doesn't indicate it, tough luck. I had one tech
completely disassemble my phone. I mean, she took everything apart
that could be taken apart without taking a soldering iron to it. She
was *convinced* it was water damage. The look on her face when the
paper showed differently was priceless. Turned out to be a bad car
charger.

Yes, I was aware of the $4.99 plan, and VZW seems to promote it more,
but I've never had problems with losing or physical damage to my
phones. I had so many operational problems with the 3035 that not
paying $1.99/month seemed like a foolish thing to do.

I'm just glad I thought to ask about it, else I never would have
known.
Anonymous
August 11, 2004 8:58:01 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular (More info?)

"Legend" <starved@rock.com> wrote in message
> Where can I buy a brand new Verizon ready phone at a good price?
> Something simple, I'm not looking for any bells and whistles; my
> current phone is a Kyocera 2135 and it has suited me just fine.

Look for someone selling a prepaid kit for cheap.

---
Update your PC at http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com
August 12, 2004 5:27:04 PM

Legend wrote:

> Where can I buy a brand new Verizon ready phone at a good price?
> Something simple, I'm not looking for any bells and whistles; my
> current phone is a Kyocera 2135 and it has suited me just fine. The
> only reason I'm looking into getting a new phone is that the Kyocera
> is 2 years old now, and I'm assuming it's going to die on me in the
> not too distant future. (What's the average life expectancy of these
> phones anyway?)

If you think it's going to die soon, then you might want to get the
phone insurance (I'm not sure if it's offered once the phone is already
activated, but it probably is) and wait for it to die. When it does,
file a claim and get your replacement.
Anonymous
August 12, 2004 10:40:18 PM

Legend wrote:

> Where can I buy a brand new Verizon ready phone at a good price?

Try eBay.
Anonymous
August 14, 2004 10:37:03 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular (More info?)

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 18:40:18 GMT, Earlene <EEE@Corn.org> chose to add this
to the great equation of life, the universe, and everything:

Legend also wrote:

>I don't want to use e-bay, I'd rather buy from somewhere that has
>warranty service available if necessary.

Did you read the entire post before inserting your foot in your mouth?

http://home.att.net/~dwstreeter
"The bureaucratic mentality is the only constant in the universe."
- Dr. Leonard McCoy
Anonymous
August 14, 2004 10:37:04 PM

"David S" <dwstreeter@spamisnaughty.att.net> wrote in message
> On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 18:40:18 GMT, Earlene <EEE@Corn.org> chose to add this
> to the great equation of life, the universe, and everything:
>
> >Legend wrote:
> >>
> >> Where can I buy a brand new Verizon ready phone at a good price?
> >
> >Try eBay.
>
> Legend also wrote:
>
> >I don't want to use e-bay, I'd rather buy from somewhere that has
> >warranty service available if necessary.
>
> Did you read the entire post before inserting your foot in your mouth?
>
> --

Did YOU read the entire post? he also said "I'd rather buy from somewhere
that has warranty service available if necessary" Problem is, if he buys a
phone, even brand spanking new from an authorized dealer that is out of
production and out of warranty, he is paying for something that doesn't
exist anyway.Why pay extra for something nonexistant anyway?
Also, If you buy a new phone from ebay, then the manufacturers warranty
still applies, just not the verizon. It's amazing how many people assume
that buying something brand new/still in the box from ebay, voids a
manufacturer warranty. Hint... the manufacturer makes the phones, *NOT*
verizon!
Anonymous
August 14, 2004 11:33:04 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular (More info?)

One of the things the verizon reps don't like to tell you- when you
want a new phone without contract or are forced to purchase a
replacement when you're not eligible for NE2:
Pick up a prepaid phone. right now they have the lg vx3200 for
$80-100, and you can just buy it and activate it on your current
account - no contract extension required. Simple
Anonymous
August 15, 2004 9:19:43 AM

KP wrote:
> One of the things the verizon reps don't like to tell you- when you
> want a new phone without contract or are forced to purchase a
> replacement when you're not eligible for NE2:
> Pick up a prepaid phone. right now they have the lg vx3200 for
> $80-100, and you can just buy it and activate it on your current
> account - no contract extension required. Simple

Have you done this? I noticed Sams Club is selling a V120C for like
$70.. judging from everyone's complaints about what seems EVERY damned
model Verizon sells it seems like a sure bet (I have a v120e now, and it
does what I need, usually - but its worn the hell out)

What about Virgin prepaid phones? These seem to be plentiful around
here and cheap - they appre to be CDMA only, maybe? (some sort of tiny
Audiovox phone)

JS
Anonymous
August 15, 2004 3:37:09 PM

In alt.cellular Peter Pan <Marcs1102NOSPAM@hotmailnospam.com> wrote:

> Did YOU read the entire post? he also said "I'd rather buy from somewhere
> that has warranty service available if necessary" Problem is, if he buys a
> phone, even brand spanking new from an authorized dealer that is out of
> production and out of warranty, he is paying for something that doesn't
> exist anyway.Why pay extra for something nonexistant anyway?

If it's brand new, it has a warranty, no? They wouldn't be able to replace
it with the same model, most likely, but if it needs to be replaced it could
be replaced.

August 15, 2004 5:49:12 PM

"Steven J Sobol" <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in message
> In alt.cellular Peter Pan <Marcs1102NOSPAM@hotmailnospam.com> wrote:
>
> > Did YOU read the entire post? he also said "I'd rather buy from
somewhere
> > that has warranty service available if necessary" Problem is, if he buys
> > phone, even brand spanking new from an authorized dealer that is out of
> > production and out of warranty, he is paying for something that doesn't
> > exist anyway.Why pay extra for something nonexistant anyway?
>
> If it's brand new, it has a warranty, no? They wouldn't be able to replace
> it with the same model, most likely, but if it needs to be replaced it
could
> be replaced.
>
> --

That is actually something I wondered about. If they replace your phone with
a refurbished, do you get the remainder of the manufacturer warranty, or if
you cancel verizon service, and switch to another provider, are you screwed?
Anonymous
August 15, 2004 7:31:20 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular (More info?)

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 12:36:12 -0700, "Peter Pan"
<Marcs1102NOSPAM@HotmailNOSPAM.com> chose to add this to the great equation
of life, the universe, and everything:

>"David S" <dwstreeter@spamisnaughty.att.net> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 18:40:18 GMT, Earlene <EEE@Corn.org> chose to add this
>> to the great equation of life, the universe, and everything:

>> >Try eBay.
>>
>> Legend also wrote:
>>
>> >I don't want to use e-bay, I'd rather buy from somewhere that has
>> >warranty service available if necessary.
>>
>> Did you read the entire post before inserting your foot in your mouth?
>
>Did YOU read the entire post? he also said "I'd rather buy from somewhere
>that has warranty service available if necessary" Problem is, if he buys a
>phone, even brand spanking new from an authorized dealer that is out of
>production and out of warranty, he is paying for something that doesn't
>exist anyway.Why pay extra for something nonexistant anyway?
>Also, If you buy a new phone from ebay, then the manufacturers warranty
>still applies, just not the verizon. It's amazing how many people assume
>that buying something brand new/still in the box from ebay, voids a
>manufacturer warranty. Hint... the manufacturer makes the phones, *NOT*
>verizon!

This is irrelevant to my post. You should be explaining it to Legend, not
to me. My only point was that Earlene told Legend to try ebay after Legend
specifically said he didn't want to use ebay.

http://home.att.net/~dwstreeter
"A man's got to be a man or he's not a man." - Maj. Frank Burns
August 15, 2004 8:05:13 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular (More info?)

I though you could go into the store and buy it outright without any
contract at the full retail price? This gives you the full warranty
and you're buying it new... no questionalbe eBay sellers.

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 11:37:09 -0500, Steven J Sobol
<sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote:

>In alt.cellular Peter Pan <Marcs1102NOSPAM@hotmailnospam.com> wrote:
>
>> Did YOU read the entire post? he also said "I'd rather buy from somewhere
>> that has warranty service available if necessary" Problem is, if he buys a
>> phone, even brand spanking new from an authorized dealer that is out of
>> production and out of warranty, he is paying for something that doesn't
>> exist anyway.Why pay extra for something nonexistant anyway?
>
>If it's brand new, it has a warranty, no? They wouldn't be able to replace
>it with the same model, most likely, but if it needs to be replaced it could
>be replaced.
Anonymous
August 16, 2004 12:05:50 AM

In alt.cellular Luke <pupascoopa@wagonwheel.nctv.com> wrote:
> I though you could go into the store and buy it outright without any
> contract at the full retail price? This gives you the full warranty
> and you're buying it new... no questionalbe eBay sellers.

Yes.

But even if you buy a model that was recently discontinued, the manufacturer's
warranty is STILL good if it's bought new.

August 16, 2004 12:06:45 AM

In alt.cellular Peter Pan <Marcs1102@hotmail.com> wrote:

> That is actually something I wondered about. If they replace your phone with
> a refurbished, do you get the remainder of the manufacturer warranty, or if
> you cancel verizon service, and switch to another provider, are you screwed?

As far as I know you should always be able to return it to the manufacturer.
If you're still with the original carrier from whom you bought the phone you
may have the added convenience of being able to return it to the store and
have them return it to the mfr, rather than having to send it out yourself.

August 16, 2004 8:05:20 PM

On 16 Aug 2004 12:12:22 -0700, starved@rock.com (Legend) wrote:

>Somewhere along the line I had heard that cell phones last about two
>years on average before they start to go. That's the only reason I
>started thinking about getting a new phone; otherwise my Kyocera is
>working just fine.

And it may for years to come. Until my son lost my old QCP-820 a few
months ago, it had been in service for over 5 years. The Li-Ion
battery was still holding it's charge very well, too.
August 16, 2004 10:32:04 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular (More info?)

On 16 Aug 2004 12:12:22 -0700, starved@rock.com (Legend) wrote:

>Somewhere along the line I had heard that cell phones last about two
>years on average before they start to go. That's the only reason I
>started thinking about getting a new phone; otherwise my Kyocera is
>working just fine.

I don't think it's so much that the phones start "going" but rather
newer phones perform much better. My four year old phones work just
as well as they did when they were new. And what you "heard" is only
anecdotal unless you have something that shows concrete proof that
phones deteriorate over a couple years as you seem to think.

August 17, 2004 2:19:00 AM

In alt.cellular Joseph <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On 16 Aug 2004 12:12:22 -0700, starved@rock.com (Legend) wrote:
>
>>Somewhere along the line I had heard that cell phones last about two
>>years on average before they start to go. That's the only reason I
>>started thinking about getting a new phone; otherwise my Kyocera is
>>working just fine.
>
> I don't think it's so much that the phones start "going" but rather
> newer phones perform much better.

Hell, I live in a 800 MHz CDMA area and could conceivably use my seven-year-old
800MHz CDMA-only Nokia 2180* here on Verizon in Southern California (formerly
used on GTE Mobilnet in Cleveland). As long as Verizon allowed me to continue
to use it and I could continue to buy batteries for it... I don't think there
would be an issue.

The other thing, of course, is if you want the newer features you must
get newer phones :)

*well, actually, 800MHz CDMA and 800MHz AMPS, but at this late date, the
digital capability is what's important...