best video card for Doom 3?

What's the best video card for Doom 3 right now?
11 answers Last reply
More about best video card doom
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    "Jeff" <idont@thinkso.com> wrote in message
    > What's the best video card for Doom 3 right now?

    NV 6800 Ultra
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    X800 Pro, 6800 GT.

    All good cards, should not consider anything else.

    On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 19:26:10 -0700, "Jeff" <idont@thinkso.com> wrote:

    >What's the best video card for Doom 3 right now?

  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    "Avid Gamer" <Scully@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message

    > X800 Pro, 6800 GT.
    >
    > All good cards, should not consider anything else.

    they're good. But the question is, what is BEST? And those are definately
    not the best for doom3. the best is the 6800 ultra extreme. Second best is
    the 6800 ultra ;op

    --

    Margolis
    http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.agqx.org/faqs/AGQ2FAQ.htm

    "Margolis" <someone@somewhere.org> wrote in message
    > "Avid Gamer" <Scully@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
    >>

    >> X800 Pro, 6800 GT.
    >>
    >> All good cards, should not consider anything else.
    >>

    > they're good. But the question is, what is BEST? And those are
    > definately
    > not the best for doom3. the best is the 6800 ultra extreme. Second
    > best is
    > the 6800 ultra ;op
    >
    > --
    >
    > Margolis
    > http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.agqx.org/faqs/AGQ2FAQ.htm
    > http://www.unrealtower.org/faq

    I didn't know a 6800 Ultra Extreme was even available. But it shows up
    even here:
    http://users.erols.com/chare/video.htm
    so I guess it exists :)
    McG.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    > I didn't know a 6800 Ultra Extreme was even available. But it shows up
    > even here:
    > http://users.erols.com/chare/video.htm
    > so I guess it exists :)
    > McG.

    they're hard to come by. eVGA sells 5 a week through a raffle
    http://www.evga.com/articles/public.asp?AID=188

    --

    Margolis
    http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.agqx.org/faqs/AGQ2FAQ.htm
    http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    > I didn't know a 6800 Ultra Extreme was even available. But it shows up
    > even here:
    > http://users.erols.com/chare/video.htm
    > so I guess it exists :)
    > McG.

    Some info on the Ultra Extreme here
    http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/geforce_6800_ultra_extreme/

    And check this out http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_14696.html
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 19:26:10 -0700, Jeff <idont@thinkso.com> wrote:
    > What's the best video card for Doom 3 right now?

    Depends upon your criteria. I just wanted to get decent frame
    rate in the native 1280x1024 resolution of my 19" flat panel display on my
    Athlon64 3200+ (2GHz). The base 128MB 6800 gives me 60fps High quality
    (no AA or AF), and included Far Cry.

    First I tried replacing my FX 5200XT with an FX 5700LE, but had to use
    lower resolution. So I used eVGA's step-up program to get the 6800 for
    the price difference. GTs or better were back ordered at the time and now
    include Doom3 which I already had.

    If you have higher resolution, the extra bucks for GT or better may be
    worth it. But I am happy with what I got.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    "David Efflandt" <efflandt@xnet.com> wrote in message news:slrnclfqul.b8b.efflandt@typhoon.xnet.com...
    > On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 19:26:10 -0700, Jeff <idont@thinkso.com> wrote:
    >> What's the best video card for Doom 3 right now?
    >
    > Depends upon your criteria. I just wanted to get decent frame
    > rate in the native 1280x1024 resolution of my 19" flat panel display on my
    > Athlon64 3200+ (2GHz). The base 128MB 6800 gives me 60fps High quality
    > (no AA or AF), and included Far Cry.
    >
    > First I tried replacing my FX 5200XT with an FX 5700LE, but had to use
    > lower resolution. So I used eVGA's step-up program to get the 6800 for
    > the price difference. GTs or better were back ordered at the time and now
    > include Doom3 which I already had.
    >
    > If you have higher resolution, the extra bucks for GT or better may be
    > worth it. But I am happy with what I got.

    Yep, the GT or better is the way to go. The base 6800 only has half the
    data (rendering?) pipelines that the GT or Ultra have, and is seriously
    neutered on account of that. That is why it's so (relatively) cheap. And
    the 128MB of video RAM is a hinderance, too. Nowadays, go 256MB or
    nothing.
    -Marshall
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    >> I didn't know a 6800 Ultra Extreme was even available. But it shows
    >> up
    >> even here:
    >> http://users.erols.com/chare/video.htm
    >> so I guess it exists :)
    >> McG.
    >
    > Some info on the Ultra Extreme here
    > http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/geforce_6800_ultra_extreme/
    >
    > And check this out http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_14696.html

    Heh! I think I could settle on the 6800 GT :) The Ultra would be
    nice, but $100 more? Hm, not made outta money, me.
    McG.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    "Marshall" <marshall@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > "David Efflandt" <efflandt@xnet.com> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 19:26:10 -0700, Jeff <idont@thinkso.com> wrote:
    >>> What's the best video card for Doom 3 right now?
    >>
    >> Depends upon your criteria. I just wanted to get decent frame
    >> rate in the native 1280x1024 resolution of my 19" flat panel display
    >> on my
    >> Athlon64 3200+ (2GHz). The base 128MB 6800 gives me 60fps High
    >> quality
    >> (no AA or AF), and included Far Cry.
    >>
    >> First I tried replacing my FX 5200XT with an FX 5700LE, but had to
    >> use
    >> lower resolution. So I used eVGA's step-up program to get the 6800
    >> for
    >> the price difference. GTs or better were back ordered at the time
    >> and now
    >> include Doom3 which I already had.
    >>
    >> If you have higher resolution, the extra bucks for GT or better may
    >> be
    >> worth it. But I am happy with what I got.
    >
    > Yep, the GT or better is the way to go. The base 6800 only has half
    > the
    > data (rendering?) pipelines that the GT or Ultra have, and is
    > seriously
    > neutered on account of that. That is why it's so (relatively) cheap.
    > And
    > the 128MB of video RAM is a hinderance, too. Nowadays, go 256MB or
    > nothing.
    > -Marshall

    Er, no...the base 6800 has 12 pipelines, the GT and up have 16. Then
    the core and memory are clocked lower for the base 6800 also.
    McG.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message news:%016d.22537$Gk4.15581@fe1.texas.rr.com...
    > "Marshall" <marshall@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >> "David Efflandt" <efflandt@xnet.com> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Depends upon your criteria. I just wanted to get decent frame
    >>> rate in the native 1280x1024 resolution of my 19" flat panel display on my
    >>> Athlon64 3200+ (2GHz). The base 128MB 6800 gives me 60fps High quality
    >>> (no AA or AF), and included Far Cry.
    >>>
    >>> First I tried replacing my FX 5200XT with an FX 5700LE, but had to use
    >>> lower resolution. So I used eVGA's step-up program to get the 6800 for
    >>> the price difference. GTs or better were back ordered at the time and now
    >>> include Doom3 which I already had.
    >>>
    >>> If you have higher resolution, the extra bucks for GT or better may be
    >>> worth it. But I am happy with what I got.
    >>
    >> Yep, the GT or better is the way to go. The base 6800 only has half the
    >> data (rendering?) pipelines that the GT or Ultra have, and is seriously
    >> neutered on account of that. That is why it's so (relatively) cheap. And
    >> the 128MB of video RAM is a hinderance, too. Nowadays, go 256MB or
    >> nothing.
    >> -Marshall
    >
    > Er, no...the base 6800 has 12 pipelines, the GT and up have 16. Then the core and memory are clocked lower for the base 6800
    > also.

    Ok, so it wasn't half the pipelines, but it's still significantly less, and
    the tests have born that out in the gaming press, in lower fps's for the
    plain-Jane 6800.
    -Marshall

Graphics Cards Games Video Games