Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Won't load CS???

Last response: in Windows 7
January 25, 2009 1:53:19 PM

Well I replaced Vista 64 bit with Windows 7 64 bit and I can say I am happy with this except for 1 thing!

When I start-up Steam and try to play Counter-Strike 1.6 all I get is the darn background, I cannot see the options like New Game, Find Servers, Friends, Options. When I hover over them with my mouse I hear the clicks so I know they are there and I can connect to a server via console (~) but still, I can't see anything but the 1.6 background.

Source works fine though :heink: 

Any ideas?

More about : load

January 25, 2009 11:25:31 PM

wll i am a ATI user... and yap.. the CS dont work in win7 64bits.. the OpenGL drivers are poor in win7 64 bits but.. if u use win7 a 32bit work amazing... and CS:source is a game based in DX9 not in openGL for this reason CS:S run normaly =)
Score
January 25, 2009 11:43:03 PM

I just thought everything that worked in Vista would work with 7 =/
Score
Related resources
January 26, 2009 6:19:07 PM

^ everything should work with Win 7, but its still young

Tell me, do other games work?
Score
a b $ Windows 7
February 4, 2009 6:38:14 PM

Have you tried installing with compatibility mode?
Score

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
February 5, 2009 11:31:26 AM

Steam apparently has a lot of problems with 7:

http://search.sevenforums.com/results.aspx?k=Steam

I found some potential solutions on the Seven Forums -

Courtesy of user AnXa:

Which he got from: http://chris123nt.com/2009/01/18/sqm-client-causing-cra...

Quote:

Sollution is that you will download Winrar from RarLab and then extract the SteamInstall.msi into some folder, like C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\ and then rename steam.exe1 into steam.exe and run it.

I tried older steam installers just to find out that those install ok but don't run at all.

For some reason Microsoft Install Service is bugging in Windows 7 about some programs. I thinks related to region and language settings but I am not sure.

There is also built in MSI Extrator in Windows which you can try like this:

In command prompt:
msiexec /a c:\temp\steaminstall.msi /qb TARGETDIR=c:\temp\steam\

but it caused msi to crash here leaving external program as only option.

I managed to find a fix for Windows Installer problems (aka. problems with .msi files).

1. Delete the string values (Except for (Default)) in HKLM\Software\Microsoft\SQMClient\Windows\DisabledSessions

2. Start gpedit.msc

3. Expand Computer Configuration, expand Administrative Templates, expand System, expand Internet Communication Management, and then click Internet Communication settings.

4. In the details pane, double-click Turn off Windows Customer Experience Improvement Program, and then click Enabled.

Courtesy of user Shamitzu:

Quote:

An issue with the Customer Experience Improvement Program (CEIP) client in Windows 7 beta is causing Explorer and some MSI-based installers to stop working properly.

To solve this problem, follow these steps:

• Click the Start button , click All Programs, and then click Accessories.

• Right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. In the User Account Control window, verify that Program name is Windows Command Processor, and then click Yes.

• In the Administrator: Command Prompt window, type or paste the following text at the prompt:

reg delete HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SQMClient\Windows\DisabledSessions /va /f

• Press Enter to install the solution.

• If "The operation completed successfully" displays, close the Administrator: Command Prompt window to complete this procedure. If "ERROR: Access is denied" displays, repeat this procedure from the top, making sure you clicked Run as Administrator in step two.
  • [/B]

Anonymous
    a b $ Windows 7
    March 30, 2009 2:40:52 PM

I had this same issue, not with build 7000 but with build 7068. I fixed it by turning off my second monitor. It didn't matter whether I had SLI enabled or not, but as soon as CS-Source only had one monitor to deal with it worked perfectly. Hope this helps.
    Score
    !