Sign in with
Your question

Cannot connect to our pc server

Last response: in Business Computing
February 5, 2013 6:39:47 PM

So @ our office, we have a dedicated pc running as a server. All of our computers within the office is connected via ethernet switches and hasn't caused us any problems til now. I have built a new computer this week for a new co-worker and plugged it all in and trying to connect to our server IP, it just doesn't recognize it at all. Other computers in the past simply connected by inputting the IP to a folder address bar.

-We do not run homeshare
-All of our PCs are running win 7
-Double checked ethernet wires/switches

I just don't know whats going on...

More about : connect server

February 5, 2013 6:53:18 PM

you should use the osi model to narrow down what the problem is.

can that pc get on the internet.
does it have a static ip or one via dhcp
can you ping the ip from that pc
do the nic have a driver installed.
February 5, 2013 6:59:13 PM

the pc that cannot connect to the server, CAN connect to the internet
all the PCs are running through static ip
yes it is able to ping
yes network card does have a driver installed from the mobo's CD
Related resources
February 5, 2013 7:09:29 PM

Is the workgroup entered correctly on the new computer?
February 5, 2013 7:23:12 PM

Yes, its just simply named WORKGROUP.

I know the new computer is connected to the same network because all of the other computers show up in the network...
I just can't figure it out. Do I need to configure something on the server's end?
February 5, 2013 7:46:28 PM

try this.
On a computer that works, reboot, once in windows, open a command prompt and type
"ipconfig /all"

Do the same on the new computer, see if any settings is different.
February 5, 2013 8:00:56 PM

How many PC's are connected to this "server"?

Workstation OS's are hard limited to 10 simultaneous connections. This covers ALL shares (printers too)
February 5, 2013 8:07:07 PM

^^^+1 I bet this is number 11

February 5, 2013 8:18:16 PM

ss202sl said:

This is exactly what i was thinking after hearing "workgroup"
February 6, 2013 1:51:48 AM

I would imagine that if you are able to ping to the phyical server interface, then there's something causing an issue with either the number of devices in your workgroup (as mentioned above) or folder share limitations, where your user account on the new computer is not set to have share permissions with the shared folder you are trying to access.
February 6, 2013 2:13:02 AM

I suggest that you enable Network Discovery. Click Start->Control Panel->Network and Sharing Center, click Change advanced sharing settings. Enable the option.

If the issue persists, try to access another computer by entering \\computername in the Start Search box. Let us know if it works properly.
February 6, 2013 12:33:30 PM

rgd1101 said:
try this.
On a computer that works, reboot, once in windows, open a command prompt and type
"ipconfig /all"

Do the same on the new computer, see if any settings is different.

The only difference is: DHCP server is not enabled while all the other PCs do.
Taking a look at the network configurations it is enabled by default.

ss202sl said:

yes unfortunately you were all right, it is the 11th computer... just my luck.

danny2000 said:
I suggest that you enable Network Discovery. Click Start->Control Panel->Network and Sharing Center, click Change advanced sharing settings. Enable the option.

If the issue persists, try to access another computer by entering \\computername in the Start Search box. Let us know if it works properly.

I have previously enabled all the advanced sharing options for it. And there is no problems connecting to other computers.

SO, if the reason behind this problem is the limitation of workgroup only being able to connect 10 computers, what are my options other than building an actual server?
February 6, 2013 3:10:31 PM

Quote:
SO, if the reason behind this problem is the limitation of workgroup only being able to connect 10 computers, what are my options other than building an actual server?

Your only option is exactly that, build an actual server and use a server OS, with all the extra licensing cost that that entails.
February 6, 2013 3:23:29 PM

Unbutu has free server software if your willing to learn linux.
February 6, 2013 5:34:12 PM

ex_bubblehead said:
Quote:

Your only option is exactly that, build an actual server and use a server OS, with all the extra licensing cost that that entails.

well thats unfortunate... well time to work on a new build :)  any recommendations for components?

tripledouce said:
Unbutu has free server software if your willing to learn linux.

how hard can it be? install os >> assign computers with IP / login info ? Or am i being naive? :( 
February 6, 2013 5:47:29 PM

What, specifically, are the functions of your existing "server"? If only file sharing, then you could get by with a NAS. There are plenty of commercial, prebuilt systems out there. However, depending on your requirements, they can be pricey. If you don't mind getting your hands dirty you can build your own NAS and run something like "FreeNAS" on it.
February 6, 2013 6:46:14 PM

our existing server is primarely used for file sharing. I'm currently looking into synology's systems, which seem to have the basic functions I need @ a decent price. Was thinking about another build, but we need the new computer connected ASAP.
February 6, 2013 7:26:39 PM

You could temporarily hook up the hard drive to another computer and share it out that way for the time-being.
February 6, 2013 7:31:07 PM

danny2000 said:
You could temporarily hook up the hard drive to another computer and share it out that way for the time-being.

Not gonna work in this environment. All of the computers are running workstation class OS's which have a hard limit of 10 simultaneous connections. Moving the drive just moves the problem.
February 6, 2013 8:20:55 PM

Microsoft allows for an unlimited number of computers in a workgroup, however, because of network limitations and disk i/o limitations, they created a maximum of 10 connections to any one network share.

For temporary work-around, is it possible to create two network shares on two different computers - let's say one for "accounting" and one for "admin", and split up the users that way?

If not, Windows 7 will allow up to 20 users on a single network share.

If the office is going to grow in size past 20 users, in might be practical to go with a file server (Windows Server 2008/2012), depending upon actual disk i/o for the clients, this can be a workstation class machine to dish out the shares.

If you are going past 20-25 people, you want to look to build a real server (server based hardware) to dish out the files.
February 6, 2013 10:39:45 PM

If you are going to build an actual server, instead of using Windows Server 2008/2012 as RoninTexas listed, I would strongly suggest Ubuntu Server. Very reliable, I have done a couple virtualization projects on Ubuntu Server 12.10 and it handles tasks very well on the cheapest of servers.
February 7, 2013 4:51:26 AM

Typing: net config server in a command prompt will show you the # of similutanaous connections; windows 7 is listed as 20 similtanous connections.
February 7, 2013 6:15:25 PM

well i temporary solved the problem. I accessed the server computer and put the new PC on a vpn network, so we will be able to add any number of new users. whew

Thanks for you all your inputs and suggestions!
!