Abit AI7 or Asus P4P800-E Delux?

devilry

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2004
[Abit] AI7 865PE uGuru 800FSB Dual-DDR400/4G SATA LAN S/PDIF USB2.0 i1394
Or
Asus P4P800-E-delux SATA DDR400 w/Audio Lan

Im having trouble deciding which one i should get. There both about the same price and they both sound good. But maybe some of you guys can help me decide which one is better. Thanks.

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
ABIT IS7 would be a good choice. See if that fits in for you.

Abit IS7 - 2.8C @ 3.4 - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power
Samsung 120gb ATA-100 - Maxtor 40gb ATA - 100
Sony DRU-510A - THAT'S MORE LIKE IT!

devilry

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2004
Yah, the IC7 is also around the same price tag, i could get that. Thanks for letting me know about that craig.
Can i get any more opinions on this? The more the better, that way i'll know which one too get for sure.

jammydodger

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2001
I have the AI7 and I havnt had any problems with it at all, fully featured and very stable. I have heard some bad things about voltage regulation on the Asus boards, but I have no personal experience so cant comment.

Have a look at the IS7 as well, it is basically the same as the AI7 but without Uguru and is quite a it cheaper.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The AI7 is a remake of the IS7, I believe the reason for the new model is it's cheaper to produce. It doesn't have the same audio connections as the IS7 (which is just about perfect) and not nearly the track record. Also, the IS7 is a top performer, and inexpensive. Plus, the IS7 has the AGP card one slot position higher than the AI7, providing additional room for card cooling if you need to use the top PCI slot. Having said that, I'd go with the IS7 instead of the AI7.

Now, the P4P800...I had the P4C800-E Deluxe, using the same VRM design, voltage fluctuation was terrible when overclocked, so bad in fact that I moved to a different board.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

devilry

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2004
Thanks for your posts guys, your very helpful here.
I think im leaning on getting the IC7 now, because i dont think the AI7 supports HT(hyper-threaded) for P4's. I just noticed it right now, and it doesnt say it anywhere on the AI7.

Anymore advice about these motherboards would be great.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Sorry to have to tell you this, but ALL current motherboards support HT. The IS7 has more features than the IC7 and is less likely to have memory stability problems.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

devilry

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2004
Sorry i noticed in all my post i kept saying IC7 meant to say IS7. Sorry for the confusion if there were any. The IC7 is too expensive, like another $100(cdn) compared to the IS7.
So yah, im leaning on getting the IS7 :) Just wanted to clear that up.