Game shutting down on it's own.

Has anyone else had the problem with the game just stopping and the machine
simply returning to the desktop? This is quite annoying as it has happened
to me just as I finish a level and it does not save, so I hae to do it all
again.

I'm running a new machine: Anthlon XP3200, 512 MG PC3200 Ram, GeForce 5200,
128 mg vid card, on a FIC AU13 board.

Any ideas how to stop this frustration? Vid card?

Gerry
gwolf@wi.rr.com

"Gerry Wolf" <gwolf@wi.rr.com> wrote in message
> Has anyone else had the problem with the game just stopping and the
machine
> simply returning to the desktop? This is quite annoying as it has happened
> to me just as I finish a level and it does not save, so I hae to do it all
> again.
>
> I'm running a new machine: Anthlon XP3200, 512 MG PC3200 Ram, GeForce
5200,
> 128 mg vid card, on a FIC AU13 board.
>
> Any ideas how to stop this frustration? Vid card?

It could be memory. A symptom of a memory problem is having the game just
shutdown and kick you to the desktop without any other errors. Download
memtest86 from http://www.memtest86.com and run it and see what happens.
Have you tweaked your memory timings? If so, you could try loosening them a
bit and see if that helps.

--

Margolis
http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.agqx.org/faqs/AGQ2FAQ.htm

could bethe vid card overheating - my old 5200 used to do that..

"Gerry Wolf" <gwolf@wi.rr.com> wrote in message
> Has anyone else had the problem with the game just stopping and the
machine
> simply returning to the desktop? This is quite annoying as it has happened
> to me just as I finish a level and it does not save, so I hae to do it all
> again.
>
> I'm running a new machine: Anthlon XP3200, 512 MG PC3200 Ram, GeForce
5200,
> 128 mg vid card, on a FIC AU13 board.
>
> Any ideas how to stop this frustration? Vid card?
>
> Gerry
> gwolf@wi.rr.com

< http://ucguides.savagehelp.com/Doom3/FAQ_Instability.htm >

HTH

M.W.H

"Gerry Wolf" <gwolf@wi.rr.com> wrote in message
> Has anyone else had the problem with the game just stopping and the
machine
> simply returning to the desktop? This is quite annoying as it has happened
> to me just as I finish a level and it does not save, so I hae to do it all
> again.
>
> I'm running a new machine: Anthlon XP3200, 512 MG PC3200 Ram, GeForce
5200,
> 128 mg vid card, on a FIC AU13 board.
>
> Any ideas how to stop this frustration? Vid card?
>
> Gerry
> gwolf@wi.rr.com

Mine did that until I reduced the amount of overclocking I was using. I
would have sworn that the system was 100% stable before, but Doom 3
obviously put a bit more stress on the system, and revealed this latent
problem.

"Gerry Wolf" <gwolf@wi.rr.com> wrote in message
> Has anyone else had the problem with the game just stopping and the
> machine
> simply returning to the desktop? This is quite annoying as it has happened
> to me just as I finish a level and it does not save, so I hae to do it all
> again.
>
> I'm running a new machine: Anthlon XP3200, 512 MG PC3200 Ram, GeForce
> 5200,
> 128 mg vid card, on a FIC AU13 board.
>
> Any ideas how to stop this frustration? Vid card?
>
> Gerry
> gwolf@wi.rr.com

> Has anyone else had the problem with the game just stopping and the
machine
> simply returning to the desktop? This is quite annoying as it has happened
> to me just as I finish a level and it does not save, so I hae to do it all
> again.

ha ha

--
-Scott

"Spreading a little of my sunshine throughout Usenet hell."