odd win98 boot problems

aLawLz187

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2004
okay im using windows 98 se because my xp hd is messed up :(

my problem is that when i try to boot windows 98 up it freezes on the screen where it has the windows logo in the center and the Microsoft Windows 98 text right below it. It freezes there after i try to install a video driver [after i reboot]. i can get onto windows in safe mode but not on normal. any suggestions?
thanks
-lawler

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ | MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum | 1gb Kingston HyperX PC4000 [2x512] | ATI 9600 Pro [upgrade soon] | Sound Blaster Audigy LS | Samsung 120gb hd

Coyote

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2003
Is it a fresh install?

Chipset drivers installed?

Mobile XP 2600+ (11X200)
Abit NF7-S v 2.0
Maxtor 60GB ATA 133 7200RPM
512MB Corsair Twinx 3200LL
BBA 9800 Pro
Enermax Noisetaker 420 watts
Win2K sp4

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
When you see the Windows splash screen press the ESC key. Sometimes you can see an error message.

After your failed Windows load reboot your system to DOS. Look at a file called bootlog.txt. As the name implies, it's the Windows bootup log. It will show at which point Windows stopped loading. Hopefully that will tell what is going wrong. Bootlog.txt is in the root directory of your boot drive.

Bootlog.txt is a hidden file so use the attrib command to "unhide" it.

e.g. attrib -h bootlog.txt

<b>A mind is a terrible thing</b>

Coyote

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2003
Poster: 4ryan6
Subject: Re: odd win98 boot problems

Hi Coyote How've you been doing? You asked the same questions I was going to ask!

I'm 4ryan6 and I approved this message!
Hi 4ryan! How are ya?

Doing pretty good. Seems a while since I "talked" to you. We got hammered by the Hurricanes that came through a couple of months ago. We're all still fixing stuff. I'll be back to work on my furnace system this wekend, which was submerged by flooding in my basement. My neighbor still has a big hole in his roof where a tree fell on his house. Just covered with tarps.

Thanks again for suggesting win2k Pro. I like it a bit better than XP. Looks to handle to a little better OC on my rig (I'm at 215 FSB x 11 multi ATM, that's with old BIOS too). I'm hoping to get around to reinstalling win98se for a dual boot system. Then I'll be better able able to compare side-by-side.

Have a great weekend.

Coyote

Mobile XP 2600+ (11X200)
Abit NF7-S v 2.0
Maxtor 60GB ATA 133 7200RPM
512MB Corsair Twinx 3200LL
BBA 9800 Pro
Enermax Noisetaker 420 watts
Win2K sp4

Doing pretty good. Seems a while since I "talked" to you. We got hammered by the Hurricanes that came through a couple of months ago. We're all still fixing stuff. I'll be back to work on my furnace system this wekend, which was submerged by flooding in my basement. My neighbor still has a big hole in his roof where a tree fell on his house. Just covered with tarps.

Sorry to hear that, they really can mess up your life and property, we seemed to have dodged the bullet so to speak with those storms, and for us its another repreive people are still talking about Hugo and its trail of destruction around here and that was 15 years ago and a direct hit for us, but it tore up everything. We were just thankful we survived some didn't, property can always be replaced no matter how bad the damage is, people can't, I'm glad you and your family are OK!

Thanks again for suggesting win2k Pro. I like it a bit better than XP. Looks to handle to a little better OC on my rig (I'm at 215 FSB x 11 multi ATM, that's with old BIOS too). I'm hoping to get around to reinstalling win98se for a dual boot system. Then I'll be better able able to compare side-by-side.

I still dual boot but not with 98SE, I'm running way too much RAM for SE to even begin to handle, 2K loves the RAM and she really shines with things like DVD burning, CD burning, multitasking, online gaming, the more RAM the better. Its a completely different world than the limited 98SE, and its a shame really 98SE was a good OP/SYS and if Microsoft hadn't dropped it by the wayside, it would be a serious contender today, but even though Microsoft is still supporting it as far as security is concerned, they're not improving upon it, because they want to push XP down everyones throats. Oh Well, enough of that talk, its great to hear from you! Ryan :smile:

I'm 4ryan6 and I approved this message! :smile:

sparky853

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003
Try removing one stick of RAM and see if that helps. Win98SE was not designed and doesn't work (properly) with more than 512MB

XP2800+, Abit NF7, 1GB Dual-Channel DDR333, ATI R9800PRO 128MB, TT PurePower 420W, LG DVD+-R/RW