Need a good PC game controller

jrock3144

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
Whats Up fellow gamers? I need some help finding a high quality controller for my PC, I was a old school PC gamer back in the day and dropped out for quite a while. I've been a console gamer ever since. now that I got myself a decent gaming system I'm back into the PC. I bought two Logitech controllers for $30.00 a pice and they are junk. I'm supprised I haven't slammed them on the ground yet. I tried looking for some decent controllers online but I didn't come up with much better than I have. I've been out the loop for a while so, I need one of you gammer gods to let me know what you guys are using. I read that some are using XBox 360 controllers and PS3 controllers that you found drivers for windows somewhere on the internet. Is that the way you are going? If so, how do they work?

If it helps, I'm kinda partial to the playstation design and I mostly play 1st person shooters and racing games. eg.:

1st Person
Far cry
Crycis 1 & 2
Metal of honor
Left 4 Dead 1 & 2
Halo (all)
Battlefeild
Star Wars. force unleashed

Racing
NFS undercover
NSF Shift
NFS pro street
NFS Carbon
NASCAR

If you need to know what my system is for refrence here you go.

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q7500 2.90 GHz
RAM: 8 Gigs
Video Card: XFX, ATI Radeon HD 5770, 1Gb DDR5 memory, slightly overclocked

frenchy0312

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
I just picked up a wired xbox 360 controller. With windows 7 you literally just plug it into your computer and it finds and installs the drivers automatically. A lot of the more modern games support it simply by just plugging it in. Some change the on screen instructions to the xbox buttons too.

The 360 controller has a MAJOR flaw people: Because the triggers are seen as a seperate Z-axis [instead of two independent buttons], you can NOT have input from both buttons at the same time [as they would cancel eachother out]. This makes the 360 controller ill suited for PC gaming.

PhunkySKunk

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
Well i currently have a rumblepad 2 by logitech. it works fairly well. There is also a 360 controller emulator for it as well. contains a few files you add to your game directory and it maps the buttons to the same as a 360 controller for games that support it. I have all those racing games and the controller works great. the first person shooters i wouldn't recommend using a controller for if you play online, you most likely will not do well against players using a keyboard and mouse.

frenchy0312

Distinguished
May 20, 2010

you CAN have input from both buttons at the same time but the game needs to either support it from scratch or allow you to set two different actions to one axis. crysis for example lets you aim down the sights with the left trigger and shoot with the right. However you make a good point and he may ecounter a game where this isnt possible

For shooters you don't get the easy-mode aim assist etc that most consoles have to cover for their control methods - so mouse and keyboard will always be better for PC.

For racing games, pick an upper-mid range wheel like the Logitech Driving Force Pro - works with PC, PS3, PS2, Xbox, Xbox360... I use mine on GTR / GT2 / rFactor on the PC, GT4 on the PS2 and GT5P on the PS3 - just plug it in and go :D

plasmastorm

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2008
Get an official Xbox 360 compatabilty pack.

Basically a xbox 360 wifi controller with battery cover (uses 2x AA) and a usb dongle for your PC.
Or if you want to be cheap you can buy the wired controller version.

i myself am using http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Xbox-360-Wireless-Gamepad-and-Xbox-360-Crossfire-(Converts-wireless-pad-for-use-on-PC)
And it's great.