Installing a new motherboard...

GargoyleSpirit

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2004
Hey there,

I'm upgrading my PIII Soyo 7vca motherboard to an Athlon-based Asus. As I've done upgrades on other computers, I know that if I tried to boot off of my hard drive using the the asus right after installation, the OS will most likely freeze. How do I work around this without having to do a fresh install of xp? I'd rather not do a fresh install because I have lots of personal settings and programs installed on the registry that I'd rather not have to repeat.

As I see it, I have several options:

1. I install the motherboard drivers before I begin the installation of the hardware. I don't know if this will have any success.

2. I export all my settings. I don't know how to do that. Thoughts?

3. I do a fresh install and cry.

Let me kn ow what you think.

blackphoenix77

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2004
Fresh install and cry, but you will see a big performance gain with a fresh install.

<font color=blue>AthlonXP-M 2500+(12x200)</font color=blue>
<font color=green>Abit NF7-S</font color=green>
<font color=red>Kingston DDR400 2x256Mb</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Copy your drivers from CD to hard drive. Boot up in safe mode and remove all drivers from add/remove programs. Remove all devices you can from Device Manager. Reboot to the OS CD and do a repair instal. The repair instal will configure all your devices in Windows, but when you boot the secondary IDE bus doesn't always show up, which is why I told you to copy the new drivers to your hard drive :smile:

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>