Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Installing Win98SE with new mainboards

Tags:
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
August 12, 2004 10:29:37 AM

I've run into a couple of issues trying to get Win98 setup on an Abit NF7-S2 (nForce chipset, Award BIOS)

First, the CD-ROM drivers. One of the drivers on the stock setup disk searches the PCI bus ("using mechanism #2" whatever that means), and seems to get stuck there. I got around this by simply deleting driver references from config.sys except for the first one, which seems to work fine.

But at the end of Windows setup, it searches the system for PnP devices, and again seems to get stuck. I figure there's some confusion between Windows and the BIOS, possibly related to the PCI/PNP configuration. Or perhaps Win98 doesn't know what to do with the SATA drives. Any clues?

More about : installing win98se mainboards

August 12, 2004 10:53:52 AM

I installed a Win98SE system on an abit nf7-S board fairly recently, and had no problems. IIRC the BIOS is just set up for a plug-and-play OS, and it found everything fine.

I didn't use any SATA drives though.

How are you booting up? Are you trying to boot off a startup floppy, or booting straight off the CD & selecting 'run windows setup' from the CD's boot menu?

---
Epox 8RDA+ V1.1 w/ Custom NB HS
XP1700+ @200x10 (~2Ghz), 1.4 Vcore
2x256Mb Corsair PC3200LL/1x512Mb Corsair XMS PC4000 2.5-3-3-7
Sapphire 9800Pro @412/740
August 12, 2004 11:19:15 AM

AFAIK Win98SE can't boot from the CD. I used the boot disk to get the "setup Win98" option. This is the full retail version btw, not an upgrade cd, being installed on a blank drive.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b V Motherboard
August 13, 2004 5:27:05 AM

98SE boots from the CD. Even first edition did. Setup.exe is located in the Win98 directory, as is Format.exe, so assuming your CD drive is called "D", you would type "CD Win98" then type "Setup".

Fdisk is located in the root directory of the CD, so you'd normally start out by typing "D", then "Fdisk", go through creating a partition, reboot, then type "D", then "cd Win98", then "Format".

I always copy the Win98 file to the hard drive so I don't need the CD anymore. That means typing at the D:Win98 promt (after formating) "cd.." to get back to the parent directory D:, "md c:\Win98" to make the directory, then "copy Win98 c:\Win98", then "c:" to change to the C: drive, then "cd Win98", then "setup".

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
August 13, 2004 6:18:07 AM

I just tried it and it didn't work. I looked at the Windows CD and there are no system files on it. You must have a different version than me.
a b V Motherboard
August 13, 2004 7:08:46 AM

Maybe, I only have the GENIUNE versions as sold by Microsoft, not warez/pirated versions. 98 first edition retail, 98 first edition upgrade, 98SE upgrade for 98, and 98SE OEM. Those are bootable.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
August 13, 2004 9:48:00 AM

Make sure your BIOS is setup to boot from CD before HDD/Floppy etc, and then try it.

Could be that it's set to boot off HDD first, and because you have 'half an install' on your hdd, it tries to boot off that instead of CD?

If your CD is a copy, then it needs to be either a burnt image or a straight CD copy for it to retain it's bootable-ness. (i.e. if you just copied the whole CD to a hard disk then burnt the data to a CD, it won't be bootable). [<font color=blue>Cover my ass, legally/morally speaking</font color=blue>]Obviously there's nothing illegal about doing this so long as you DID legally own the original, and you're not using the same copy on multiple PCs.[<font color=blue>/CMALMS</font color=blue>] ahem. *cough*

Like Crashman, <i>all</i> genuine Win98 (all editions) CDs I've ever seen have been bootable. (and that's a fair few)

---
Epox 8RDA+ V1.1 w/ Custom NB HS
XP1700+ @200x10 (~2Ghz), 1.4 Vcore
2x256Mb Corsair PC3200LL/1x512Mb Corsair XMS PC4000 2.5-3-3-7
Sapphire 9800Pro @412/740
August 13, 2004 9:36:14 PM

I wonder if he's got the wrong disk. There's always that other disk included with the real one. Ya know, it's in a cardboard-type envelope and says "Windows Starts Here". It doesn't have the fancy hologram image on it.

Its completley F'ing worthless. No one has ever been able to tell me what its for. You can't boot from it or install.

Mobile XP 2600+ (11X200)
Abit NF7-S v 2.0
Maxtor 60GB ATA 133 7200RPM
512MB Corsair Twinx 3200LL
BBA 9800 Pro
Enermax Noisetaker 420 watts
Win98SE<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Coyote on 08/13/04 05:38 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
August 14, 2004 2:30:39 AM

Mine came from Microsoft's Company Store, so if it's pirated, then those pirates are much more clever than originally thought.

Anyway, my BIOS is set to Boot from CD, but like I said, there are no system files on it.
August 14, 2004 2:34:58 AM

It is the correct CD, not the weird crap that comes in the box. Setup runs, but it hangs when detecting PnP hardware. Microsoft's KB has some articles about that but their suggested fixes don't work.