Which mobo for dual Opteron?

sealwatcher

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2004
Hi ya'll. I'm in the process of building a workstation system using Dual Opteron 246's.

I was just wondering if anyone could recommend a good ATX mobo to suit these chips. This system is going to be used primarily for video editing, rendering and encoding, followed by 3D content creation (Studio Max, Maya, etc) and of course the odd game.

Onboard sound and video are useless to me (I already have cards that can do this) but of course raid, sata, gigaLAN and fast ram slots are musts. Also, let’s just pretend that price doesn't matter for now.

Any thoughts would be great.

-Seal

El_Jefe_77

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2004
MSI makes a decent one, hunt and peck around the ultra-slow-makes-one-nervous-about-their-integrity-website, and you'll find the one that looks rather decent.

I would look for you but, I am lazy.

etp777

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2004
Tyan, Supermicro and Intel are only SMP boards I trust(plus OEm system from IBM and Compaq). Tyan is your only choice out of those three though. So Tyan

sealwatcher

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2004
I've heard from a couple of places that Tyan are the way to go, so I think that's the way I will go. ;)

Thanks guys, you've helped me make up my mind.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Interesting....
Ive got a friend looking for a dual opteron board too, but Ideally he wants one that supports a seperate ram bank for each CPU, rather than the cheaper and more common setup where you have a unified single rambank accessable by both cpu's.

Do any boards exist with seperate banks in an ATX size... and that ALSO has a AGP slot.
The boards ive seen so far dont tend to have an agp slot when in the 2 ram bank configuration. :(

<b>My Computer is so powerful Sauron Desires
it and mortal men covet it, My Precioussssssss!
:evil:
Regards,
Mr no integrity coward.</b> <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by LHGPooBaa on 08/16/04 01:24 AM.</EM></FONT></P>