Games freezing computer

xenonnemo54

Distinguished
May 24, 2010
Hey,
I'm having some problems with certain games, specifically call of duty 4 and call of duty 5 freezing my computer after 30-45mins of gameplay. Basically the computer freezes. I don't hear anything and all i see is a frozen image of the game.

My rig is a
core i7 950 @6.07GHz
corsair 6gb dominator
asus rampage ii extreme
evga gtx 275 ftw (running 2 24" monitors)
wd 1tb harddrives
windows 7 ultimate x64

Nothing i have is overclocked, well my graphics card comes factory oc'd.

I have ruled out my graphics card and mobo overheating. I also know that i have enough power going to my system for a have a 1000W psu.

I'm at the point where I dont' know what to look into next.
Help!!

Wamphryi

Distinguished
If the PC only freezes during Games then the problem is likely confined to the Graphics Card. There is also a chance the PSU is not supplying the Graphics Card consistent power. I would look at the Graphics Card memory as the likely suspect. Make sure that you measure the heat on the card throughout the gaming process. I know you said that you checked it but I had a situation where Hitman Contracts caused a massive increase in heat yet other games did not.

xenonnemo54

Distinguished
May 24, 2010

I have two monitors so i monitor my gpu temperatures on my second monitor. It only goes up to around 75-80 degrees. I forgot to mention that i also downloaded FurMark to check my graphics stability and with temperatures up to 90 degrees, my graphics card was fully functional. Could it just be that there is some problem in the gpu's memory like you said? do you know anything that can test its memory?

Wamphryi

Distinguished
Ok well if those temperatures are in Fahrenheit then the card is running about 10 degrees Celsius cooler than my Radeon 4870 which is at idle. If you are talking in Celsius then your card is cooking at 90 degrees. If you are talking Fahrenheit then it seems odd that the card could be running at 30 degree Celsius under load.

I would wonder as to the accuracy of the figures given to you by the software. Download the latest GPU Z. If the card is stable at 90 degrees Fahrenheit thats one thing but in my experience when 3D Gaming, cards need to cope with anything up to 122 Degrees Fahrenheit.

Make sure you have the latest Nvidia Drivers and patches for the games in question. As for testing the memory I am not sure. I took mine to the supplier for testing.

xenonnemo54

Distinguished
May 24, 2010

forgot to mention that i use celsius. All my drivers and patches are up to date. I'm starting to wonder if i should pull my 8800gts out of my old computer and stick it into this and let it run for the day or something. That might actually be the easiest way to see if its my graphics card. If it isn't my gpu, honestly have no clue what it might be...never encountered something liek this ever.

xenonnemo54

Distinguished
May 24, 2010

typo!! lol 950 @ 3.07 idk why i put in 6.07 probably something else popped into my head at that time

xenonnemo54

Distinguished
May 24, 2010
hmm so i figured out that it was the gtx 275 >.< I took it out and stuck it into my old computer and it had the same problem. As well, i put an older card, 8800gts on this comp and it ran games perfectly fine....

hmm this would be the 2nd time im rma'ing the gtx 275ftw edition card

thanks for y'all's help