Touchscreen PCs: 3 Things to Change

Status
Not open for further replies.

ricardok

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
To me, touch PCs aren't really attractive. I still love my mouse/keyboard combo. I do own an iPod Touch and a Motorola Milestone, but I can't live without a keyboard.

neodawg

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2008
feel better Rico?, seemed like you were ranting a little bit here... lol. However I do agree with you.

One flat plane would work great for touch screens, however my "almost" one flat surface touchpad/keyboard wrist rest on my laptop makes it so my hand is sending the mouse flying when i type. I miss a good bezel

jenesuispasbavard

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
[citation][nom]coldmast[/nom]Wacom should handle touch screens, along withe the option to switch to stylus at the press of a button (or gesture)?[/citation]Unfortunately, styluses are a thing of the past when multitouch capacitive touchscreens are all the rage these days. I for one prefer my single touch resistive touchscreen on my Nokia that works with a stylus (for handwriting recognition) or my fingers.

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
Totally agree. My hp tx2500 is powerful enough, but the raised bevel gets in the way of closing windows all the time. It could also use more "fuzzy" detection logic. More often than not I'll reach for the Wacom pen if I'm using it in slate mode. I primarily use touch just for switching windows by taping on the taskbar.

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]coldmast[/nom]Wacom should handle touch screens, along withe the option to switch to stylus at the press of a button (or gesture)?[/citation]
Button to switch to stylus? That statement is confusing to me. They are recognized as two separate devices for me. You use the pen or the touch screen and they just work. It's like asking for a button to switch between using a keyboard or a mouse. They simply both work, all you need to do is actually use the one you want.

chickenhoagie

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
i think touch PC's are awesome and i'd love to have one. However I still love the use of keyboards..so even though i can type well on my iphone, a keyboard with a touch PC would be great

zorky9

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
Totally agree with you.

About the raised bezels - they should come up with very durable screens should it be a flat faced device.

DaddyW123

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
Evolution needs to give the human race a fully functional third arm. That way you can hold your iPad (or other tablet) while still being able to utilize two handed computing. But that's neither here nor there.

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
[citation][nom]ravewulf[/nom]Button to switch to stylus? That statement is confusing to me. They are recognized as two separate devices for me. You use the pen or the touch screen and they just work. It's like asking for a button to switch between using a keyboard or a mouse. They simply both work, all you need to do is actually use the one you want.[/citation]
Yes and no...

Using stylus while having touch screen on may have problem when you rest your hand/wrist on the screen while writing.

This can be solved at the OS or software level but I am not sure have they solved this problem or not.

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]pharge[/nom]Yes and no...Using stylus while having touch screen on may have problem when you rest your hand/wrist on the screen while writing.This can be solved at the OS or software level but I am not sure have they solved this problem or not.[/citation]
I know that at least Windows Vista and Windows 7 have "palm detection." It works pretty well for me, I can write normally with my hand resting on the screen without activating the touch screen.

They've had similar "palm detection" for laptop track pads for while you are typing on the keyboard and your palm may rest on the track pad.

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]gti88[/nom]You can't use a touch screen, which stands vertically, for more than 10 minutes. What's that for?[/citation]
True. I find the convertible notebook/slates makes a lot more sense than these upright desktop all-in-ones.

pinkfloydminnesota

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
yes, and ... they should allow people to install (or have the salesperson install) and play with their program of choice in store ... I won't buy one until I can try out the poker programs I favor.

Or maybe I'll buy it and if it doesn't work to my satisfaction, just return it

snotling

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
"Companies shouldn't release tablet PCs that don't have the hardware required for a responsive user experience."

Or PCs for that matter.

WheelsOfConfusion

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
I've had very little experience with touch-screen PCs, but it always felt slow and inaccessible. The All-in-One desktops tend to use laptop hardware (even integrated Intel graphics), which are not very responsive when you have full-screen customized interfaces. Those full-screen interfaces also make me feel cut off from the system and tools I'd usually have access to like Task Manager or the Start Menu and are more focused on showing off pictures or playing videos: but 99% of what I do with a computer is not watching vacation slide shows or using it like a TV.

will_chellam

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
I still don't see the point in desktop touch-screens, obviously there are advantages on the move, but with a 19" desktop monitor, it's only just going to be within reach if you have your desk set-up nicely, if you have a bigger monitor, you could easily be sitting out of arms reach of it...

okoto

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
personaly I think that the bazel i there to protect the screen becouse if you put it sreen down so it wouldnt scratch

Status
Not open for further replies.