Not entering Windows!!??

Frost

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2001
Greetings,
I have a Maxtor SATA (6Y120MO) HDD on a Asus K8V Deluxe...
This is my current BIOS OnBoard Devices Configuration:
( ... )
OnChip SATA Boot Rom:Disabled
OnBoard Promise Controler:Enabled
Operating Mode:Onboard IDE Operate Mode
( ... )
... after installing the OS the system works fine, problem is when i load the BIOS default settings, it changes the above settings( which is normal ... ), and i cannot enter windows! Even if i change back the settings to the original mode ( stated above) it detects the HDD but restarts automaticly when entering Windows!
... this has happened before, last time i reinstalled the OS loosing all the information i had, and the system worked fine until now, when i changed the Bios settings....
Any ideas on how to enter Windows without formating the HDD?

By the way, does anyone as a SATA HDD on this board (or familiar board)? If you do, how do you have your OnBoard Devices Configuration?

Thanks

xeenrecoil

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2003
Heya Frost;

From what i know about Asus Bios settings inorder for SATA to initialize as the bot drive your settings need to be as follows.

OnChip SATA Boot Rom:Enabled
OnBoard Promise Controler:Enabled
Onboard SATA First:Yes
Operating Mode:Onboard SATA Device

Also the following boot order should be entered.

1) Optical Device
2) Other boot device

The reason it is Other boot device is because you arent using a IDE drive so it shouldnt even be in your boot order.
Also there is no need for a floppy since Win2000 and WinXP are bootable from the installation CD.

This is the proper settings, it should boot normally.

Obtuse

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
That could be right, but for the record, sata drives are IDE drives. Sata defines the interface between the drive and the mobo. IDE stands for "Integrated Drive Electronics" and means that the hd controller is on the drive itself, which it still is for sata drives.

"It's too late now anyway. That song is stuck in my head and the only way to get rid of it is to blow it out. With a bullet!! - Carl

xeenrecoil

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2003
heh

Just for the record i know what IDE stands for, also that is the wording Asus chose to use on the Asus mobo i have to differentiate between SATA and PATA.
I didnt make up the wording used in the Bios Asus did, so dont correct me, write them and tell them about it.

Thanks

Frost

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2001
Hi there XeenRecoil, Obtuse

i can't follow the settings you'd recommend... the bios doesn't have the "Onboard SATA First" option, nor anything similar to that, also in the "Operating Mode" options i can only choose : "OnBoard IDE Operate Mode" and "RAID".
Also, in the boot order devices, it doesn't recognizes the "Optical Device" option.

Any Ideas??
thanks for the help guys...

xeenrecoil

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2003
heya frost;

Hmm yeah i dunno why Asus would allow this but they cant seem to keep one bios layout style, i imagine other companies are just as bad about it.
Apparently when they built that motherboard they hadnt had much experiance with SATA yet, because my P4G8X is much more clearly layed out then this one seems to be, no matter, you had it set right as "Onboard IDE operate mode".
what i mean by optical device was CD-Rom or DVD-Rom, i figured you would be able to make the connection hehe, as far as the boot order it may or may not work with the setting "Hard Drive" in the boot order who the hell knows how they word it, it all comes down to wording, thats why you may have to use "Other device" as your SATA hard drive in the boot order, you just have to be there to see it. i dont happen to have screen shots or anything, so your just gonna have to play with it untill you figure it out, it would be a good idea to get out the manual to help you with these settings.

Frost

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2001
Hi,
I have it booting from the Sata HDD, the problem is after configurating the bios settings for Sata, i install the OS and it works fine... if by any way i change the onboard configurations after that,it screws up something and i cannot enter windows again, even if i put back the settings for Sata it doesn't allow me enter windows again... i find my only solution to format the disk and reinstall windows... but i can't do this every time the bios settings change!!
what could be causing this?

TRENDING THREADS