Sign in with
Your question

Issues with MSI K8T FIS2R

Last response: in Motherboards
August 17, 2004 11:42:42 AM

I just got a new comp, and it got a MSI K8T FIS2R mobo & a athlon64 3400+. Well, the other info is not really usful for this question.. The issue is the following: My system cant find my floppy drive! i've tried with different cables, checking bios for wierd configs and checking that everyting is connected to the right place. The little light on the floppy drive is constantly glowing and this i find kinda peculiar. I have some other issues as well but got the recomendation to just flash my bios, but without a floppy that tends to be a mess...

More about : issues msi k8t fis2r

August 17, 2004 10:01:45 PM

Did you ever use this floppy drive before? Is it plugged in correctly? These questions might sound lame, but A) floppies are made like crap for the past 6-7 years, and B) unlike people will tell you, you can actually plug many floppies power cords in backwards, or off center and the same goes with the main cable.
I dont think it is your mobo. I have had this light on constantly thing happen before a couple of times, and it was never due to the mobo.

Also, is there an option to just go via the web and flash from there?
other option is to get a floppy exteral usb drive and return it the next day.
a b V Motherboard
August 18, 2004 1:28:12 AM

Your solution is in the first post in this forum, but I'll take it easy on you and give you a summary: Your floppy cable IS reverse on at least one end:
1.) The cable has a spot where a few wires in the center are flipped, that's the end that goes to the floppy
2.) The red stripe goes to Pin1 on the board, which is usually marked
3.) The red stripe on the Floppy end of the cable goes on the LEFT side as you face the rear of the drive. This is OPPOSITE of the IDE cable on your CD-ROM (which has Pin1 on the right as you face the rear). If your cable has an EXTERNAL KEY, that key faces DOWNWARD. If your Drive has no key slot for that key, it might have a "break out" point for it.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
!