Handicap Mode

Kilowatt

Am I the only one that would like to see a handicap mode in multiplayer
games?
I have a friend with two kids that enjoy playing Quake3. I think the main
reason we have been able to play for so long is because we can adjust the
skill of the weaker players.

I think more people would play multiplayer games if there was a handicap
option.

For multiplayer FPS games to be fun you have to be able to get roughly the
same amount of frags.
As long as you are getting frags the game will be fun.

Everyone still knows who the bad ass is, but he is still laying on the floor
with the rest.

--

Kilowatt@charter.net Add "private" to the subject line.

"Kilowatt" <kilowatt@charter.net> wrote in message news:OQ56d.641050$Gx4.35233@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> Am I the only one that would like to see a handicap mode in multiplayer
> games?
> I have a friend with two kids that enjoy playing Quake3. I think the main
> reason we have been able to play for so long is because we can adjust the
> skill of the weaker players.
>
> I think more people would play multiplayer games if there was a handicap
> option.
>
> For multiplayer FPS games to be fun you have to be able to get roughly the
> same amount of frags.
> As long as you are getting frags the game will be fun.
>
> Everyone still knows who the bad ass is, but he is still laying on the floor
> with the rest.

So how do you 'handicap' the better players, in a multiplayer shoot-
em-up? Just curious...
-Marshall

On 9/27/2004 11:10 PM Marshall brightened our day with:

>"Kilowatt" <kilowatt@charter.net> wrote in message news:OQ56d.641050$Gx4.35233@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
>

>>Am I the only one that would like to see a handicap mode in multiplayer
>>games?
>>I have a friend with two kids that enjoy playing Quake3. I think the main
>>reason we have been able to play for so long is because we can adjust the
>>skill of the weaker players.
>>
>>I think more people would play multiplayer games if there was a handicap
>>option.
>>
>>For multiplayer FPS games to be fun you have to be able to get roughly the
>>same amount of frags.
>>As long as you are getting frags the game will be fun.
>>
>>Everyone still knows who the bad ass is, but he is still laying on the floor
>>with the rest.
>>

>So how do you 'handicap' the better players, in a multiplayer shoot-
>em-up? Just curious...
> -Marshall

Set max health lower. It's like playing Doom3 on nightmare in
multiplayer. The handicapped player starts with health 50, and even
with powerups, the health still returns to 50. In quake3 you could set
it to whatever you wanted.

--
"...forged but accurate."

Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
www.inglostadt.com

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 04:33:50 GMT, "Kilowatt" <kilowatt@charter.net> wrote:

>Am I the only one that would like to see a handicap mode in multiplayer
>games?
>I have a friend with two kids that enjoy playing Quake3. I think the main
>reason we have been able to play for so long is because we can adjust the
>skill of the weaker players.
>
>I think more people would play multiplayer games if there was a handicap
>option.

In my opinion, the handicap option is only useful in a non-tournament lan
setting. It doesn't work as well when you go into online play, especially
if players join and leave as the game progresses.

Also, the system used in Quake 3 is a bit primitive - there was a mod
somewhere (don't remember the name) that gives a bit more control over how
handicapping works, as well as allowing it to be adjusted dynamically.

Kilowatt

"Inglo" <ioo@??.¿¿¿> wrote in message
> On 9/27/2004 11:10 PM Marshall brightened our day with:
>
> >"Kilowatt" <kilowatt@charter.net> wrote in message
> >

> >>Am I the only one that would like to see a handicap mode in multiplayer
> >>games?
> >>I have a friend with two kids that enjoy playing Quake3. I think the
main
> >>reason we have been able to play for so long is because we can adjust
the
> >>skill of the weaker players.
> >>
> >>I think more people would play multiplayer games if there was a handicap
> >>option.
> >>
> >>For multiplayer FPS games to be fun you have to be able to get roughly
the
> >>same amount of frags.
> >>As long as you are getting frags the game will be fun.
> >>
> >>Everyone still knows who the bad ass is, but he is still laying on the
floor
> >>with the rest.
> >>

> >So how do you 'handicap' the better players, in a multiplayer shoot-
> >em-up? Just curious...
> > -Marshall
> >

> Set max health lower. It's like playing Doom3 on nightmare in
> multiplayer. The handicapped player starts with health 50, and even
> with powerups, the health still returns to 50. In quake3 you could set
> it to whatever you wanted.
>

> --
> "...forged but accurate."
>
> Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
> www.inglostadt.com

But it would have worked better if the server would do some kind of
autoadjusting.
When we first started the two kids had very high handicaps. My friends
daughter couldn't even put her crosshairs on the target, but she could still
kill us pretty fast.

I was very surprised how quick the handicap needed to be lowered.

Because everyone got usually the same amount of frags each game it really
was fun for all.

The best player almost never won, but because they had no handicap you still
know who the bad ass was.

Kilowatt

"Raymond Martineau" <bk039@freenet.carleton.ca> wrote in message
> On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 04:33:50 GMT, "Kilowatt" <kilowatt@charter.net> wrote:
>
> >Am I the only one that would like to see a handicap mode in multiplayer
> >games?
> >I have a friend with two kids that enjoy playing Quake3. I think the
main
> >reason we have been able to play for so long is because we can adjust the
> >skill of the weaker players.
> >
> >I think more people would play multiplayer games if there was a handicap
> >option.
>
> In my opinion, the handicap option is only useful in a non-tournament lan
> setting. It doesn't work as well when you go into online play, especially
> if players join and leave as the game progresses.
>
> Also, the system used in Quake 3 is a bit primitive - there was a mod
> somewhere (don't remember the name) that gives a bit more control over how
> handicapping works, as well as allowing it to be adjusted dynamically.

I didn't get to see that mod, but dynamically adjusting the settings is what
it is going to take to make it catch on. The goal becomes being the guy
with the less handicap, but as long as he is falling as often as everyone
else then it is fun for all. You still get to walk away as the bad ass.

hehe good point. A handicap option would be a great idea, but I guess
fundamentally a few knobs wouldnt like to see it.
It could be implemented to trigger when someone gets x amount of kills in x
amount of time ratio'd with the lowest score possibly. Slower gunfire, less
health, player flashing, who knows. Its a good idea nonetheless.

"Kilowatt" <kilowatt@charter.net> wrote in message news:kdg6d.642814$Gx4.279676@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...

> "Raymond Martineau" <bk039@freenet.carleton.ca> wrote in message
>> On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 04:33:50 GMT, "Kilowatt" <kilowatt@charter.net> wrote:
>>
>> >Am I the only one that would like to see a handicap mode in multiplayer
>> >games?
>> >I have a friend with two kids that enjoy playing Quake3. I think the
> main
>> >reason we have been able to play for so long is because we can adjust the
>> >skill of the weaker players.
>> >
>> >I think more people would play multiplayer games if there was a handicap
>> >option.
>>
>> In my opinion, the handicap option is only useful in a non-tournament lan
>> setting. It doesn't work as well when you go into online play, especially
>> if players join and leave as the game progresses.
>>
>> Also, the system used in Quake 3 is a bit primitive - there was a mod
>> somewhere (don't remember the name) that gives a bit more control over how
>> handicapping works, as well as allowing it to be adjusted dynamically.
>
> I didn't get to see that mod, but dynamically adjusting the settings is what
> it is going to take to make it catch on. The goal becomes being the guy
> with the less handicap, but as long as he is falling as often as everyone
> else then it is fun for all. You still get to walk away as the bad ass.

It would be fun for all in a friendly LAN setting, but would go over like a
lead ballon on public servers, where high-score is all that most people
care about. Looking for sympathy on XYZ-Server because your skills or
ping aren't up to snuff with the 'bad-asses'? LOL! Yeah, right ;-) Most
internet servers are pure, raw, dog-eat-dog, and sympathy for those with
lesser skills or higher pings doesn't fit in at all, in any I've ever been on.
-Marshall

Kilowatt

"Marshall" <marshall@nospam.com> wrote in message

> "Kilowatt" <kilowatt@charter.net> wrote in message
> >
> > "Raymond Martineau" <bk039@freenet.carleton.ca> wrote in message

> > main

> >> In my opinion, the handicap option is only useful in a non-tournament
lan
> >> setting. It doesn't work as well when you go into online play,
especially
> >> if players join and leave as the game progresses.
> >>
> >> Also, the system used in Quake 3 is a bit primitive - there was a mod
> >> somewhere (don't remember the name) that gives a bit more control over
how
> >> handicapping works, as well as allowing it to be adjusted dynamically.
> >
> > I didn't get to see that mod, but dynamically adjusting the settings is
what
> > it is going to take to make it catch on. The goal becomes being the guy
> > with the less handicap, but as long as he is falling as often as
everyone
> > else then it is fun for all. You still get to walk away as the bad ass.
>
> It would be fun for all in a friendly LAN setting, but would go over like
> lead ballon on public servers, where high-score is all that most people
> care about. Looking for sympathy on XYZ-Server because your skills or
> ping aren't up to snuff with the 'bad-asses'? LOL! Yeah, right ;-) Most
> internet servers are pure, raw, dog-eat-dog, and sympathy for those with
> lesser skills or higher pings doesn't fit in at all, in any I've ever been
on.
> -Marshall

I think you underestimate this. With dynamic skill adjustments you are
still very aware of who the best player is but he has to lay down just like
everyone else.

I guess you have never left a server after having your ass handed to you on
a platter. I know I have.

Kilowatt

"Marshall" <marshall@nospam.com> wrote in message

> "Kilowatt" <kilowatt@charter.net> wrote in message
> >
> > "Raymond Martineau" <bk039@freenet.carleton.ca> wrote in message

> > main

> >> In my opinion, the handicap option is only useful in a non-tournament
lan
> >> setting. It doesn't work as well when you go into online play,
especially
> >> if players join and leave as the game progresses.
> >>
> >> Also, the system used in Quake 3 is a bit primitive - there was a mod
> >> somewhere (don't remember the name) that gives a bit more control over
how
> >> handicapping works, as well as allowing it to be adjusted dynamically.
> >
> > I didn't get to see that mod, but dynamically adjusting the settings is
what
> > it is going to take to make it catch on. The goal becomes being the guy
> > with the less handicap, but as long as he is falling as often as
everyone
> > else then it is fun for all. You still get to walk away as the bad ass.
>
> It would be fun for all in a friendly LAN setting, but would go over like
> lead ballon on public servers, where high-score is all that most people
> care about. Looking for sympathy on XYZ-Server because your skills or
> ping aren't up to snuff with the 'bad-asses'? LOL! Yeah, right ;-) Most
> internet servers are pure, raw, dog-eat-dog, and sympathy for those with
> lesser skills or higher pings doesn't fit in at all, in any I've ever been
on.
> -Marshall

Whether it catches on for everyone or not, don't you think it would be a
nice option to have?
I post it publicly hoping someone that has the power to change things might
hear.

"Kilowatt" <kilowatt@charter.net> wrote in message news:3Hm6d.450424$OB3.128377@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...

> "Marshall" <marshall@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Kilowatt" <kilowatt@charter.net> wrote in message
>> >
>> > "Raymond Martineau" <bk039@freenet.carleton.ca> wrote in message

> multiplayer
>> > main
> the

> handicap

> lan
> especially

> how
>> >
>> > I didn't get to see that mod, but dynamically adjusting the settings is
> what
>> > it is going to take to make it catch on. The goal becomes being the guy
>> > with the less handicap, but as long as he is falling as often as
> everyone
>> > else then it is fun for all. You still get to walk away as the bad ass.
>>
>> It would be fun for all in a friendly LAN setting, but would go over like
>> lead ballon on public servers, where high-score is all that most people
>> care about. Looking for sympathy on XYZ-Server because your skills or
>> ping aren't up to snuff with the 'bad-asses'? LOL! Yeah, right ;-) Most
>> internet servers are pure, raw, dog-eat-dog, and sympathy for those with
>> lesser skills or higher pings doesn't fit in at all, in any I've ever been
> on.
>> -Marshall
>>

> I think you underestimate this. With dynamic skill adjustments you are
> still very aware of who the best player is but he has to lay down just like
> everyone else.

Point is, they don't want to spend any time dirt-napping, if they can avoid it.
Just killing, irregardless of the skills of who they are killing. I don't say your
suggestion doesn't have merit, just that to the vast majority of online players
wouldn't care for it. It isn't just about being a bad-ass killer, it's about *not*
getting your own ass killed, either. That is the other half of the 'bad-ass' online
formula- kill, but don't_get_killed yourself.

> I guess you have never left a server after having your ass handed to you on
> a platter. I know I have.

On the contrary, with my 56k connection, I spent most of my time near the bottom
of the online heap, in the kills/deaths ratio. And that was back when fewer
players had broadband. Now, it's so bad for the few of us remaining high-ping
bastards, that I hardly ever bother with online shooters, except for the rare games
where coop against the AI is possible. But my beef wasn't about skill levels, just
about ping- which was my problem, not theirs.

But it would be great if some online servers were able to take your suggestion
and run with it, catering to those who would like to play using the handicap
theory. Variety is the spice.
-Marshall

"Kilowatt" <kilowatt@charter.net> wrote in message news:AJm6d.450437$OB3.336657@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...

> "Marshall" <marshall@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Kilowatt" <kilowatt@charter.net> wrote in message
>> >
>> > "Raymond Martineau" <bk039@freenet.carleton.ca> wrote in message

> multiplayer
>> > main
> the

> handicap

> lan
> especially

> how
>> >
>> > I didn't get to see that mod, but dynamically adjusting the settings is
> what
>> > it is going to take to make it catch on. The goal becomes being the guy
>> > with the less handicap, but as long as he is falling as often as
> everyone
>> > else then it is fun for all. You still get to walk away as the bad ass.
>>
>> It would be fun for all in a friendly LAN setting, but would go over like
>> lead ballon on public servers, where high-score is all that most people
>> care about. Looking for sympathy on XYZ-Server because your skills or
>> ping aren't up to snuff with the 'bad-asses'? LOL! Yeah, right ;-) Most
>> internet servers are pure, raw, dog-eat-dog, and sympathy for those with
>> lesser skills or higher pings doesn't fit in at all, in any I've ever been
> on.
>> -Marshall
>>

> Whether it catches on for everyone or not, don't you think it would be a
> nice option to have?
> I post it publicly hoping someone that has the power to change things might
> hear.

Would be fine with me, as I said in my other reply, variety is the spice. If
there was enough desire for it in the online community, it might catch on.
-Marshall

bad-ass mf's rule - if you hadn't noticed, servers are full of folk
who frag newbie ass - it takes time to practice, and D3 is at best a MP
extension
of Q2, but only a fraction as good.Can;t take the heat ? stay out the
kitchen...
sermon over - I'll see you in hell :)

> "Inglo" <ioo@??.¿¿¿> wrote in message
> > On 9/27/2004 11:10 PM Marshall brightened our day with:
> >
> > >"Kilowatt" <kilowatt@charter.net> wrote in message

> main
> the

> the

> floor
> > >>

> > >So how do you 'handicap' the better players, in a multiplayer shoot-
> > >em-up? Just curious...
> > > -Marshall
> > >

> > Set max health lower. It's like playing Doom3 on nightmare in
> > multiplayer. The handicapped player starts with health 50, and even
> > with powerups, the health still returns to 50. In quake3 you could set
> > it to whatever you wanted.
> >

> > --
> > "...forged but accurate."
> >
> > Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
> > www.inglostadt.com
>

> But it would have worked better if the server would do some kind of
> autoadjusting.
> When we first started the two kids had very high handicaps. My friends
> daughter couldn't even put her crosshairs on the target, but she could
still
> kill us pretty fast.
>
> I was very surprised how quick the handicap needed to be lowered.
>
> Because everyone got usually the same amount of frags each game it really
> was fun for all.
>
> The best player almost never won, but because they had no handicap you
still
> know who the bad ass was.

Kilowatt

And they will always be there. All I am asking is for the option to play
with a handicap.
It is a good idea for some.

"Flying Pig" <noflying@pigsorspam.com> wrote in message
> bad-ass mf's rule - if you hadn't noticed, servers are full of folk
> who frag newbie ass - it takes time to practice, and D3 is at best a MP
> extension
> of Q2, but only a fraction as good.Can;t take the heat ? stay out the
> kitchen...
> sermon over - I'll see you in hell :)
>

> "Kilowatt" <kilowatt@charter.net> wrote in message
> >
> > "Inglo" <ioo@??.¿¿¿> wrote in message
> > > On 9/27/2004 11:10 PM Marshall brightened our day with:

> multiplayer
> > main
> > the

> handicap

> > the

> > floor

> > > Set max health lower. It's like playing Doom3 on nightmare in
> > > multiplayer. The handicapped player starts with health 50, and even
> > > with powerups, the health still returns to 50. In quake3 you could
set
> > > it to whatever you wanted.
> > >

> > > --
> > > "...forged but accurate."
> > >
> > > Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
> > > www.inglostadt.com
> >

> > But it would have worked better if the server would do some kind of
> > autoadjusting.
> > When we first started the two kids had very high handicaps. My friends
> > daughter couldn't even put her crosshairs on the target, but she could
> still
> > kill us pretty fast.
> >
> > I was very surprised how quick the handicap needed to be lowered.
> >
> > Because everyone got usually the same amount of frags each game it
really
> > was fun for all.
> >
> > The best player almost never won, but because they had no handicap you
> still
> > know who the bad ass was.

actually, thinking about it, guess I'd agree -
it might make a difference in d3 - can't see there being
the same mass multiplayer carnage as Q2 with the new engine...