  • Dial Up Connection
  • Internet Service Providers
Last response: in Network Providers
August 12, 2004 1:19:36 AM

While on multi-state vacation camping trip (last night now - actually right
now on my son's RoadRunner connection), I've mostly used the Verizon
Internet access (America's Choice MOU), and all has gone well. One night I
used the campsite WiFi access. But at two campsites, I was on the Extended
Network and not able to use Verizon access. So, I just registered for the
Road Runner Dial up access, and downloaded their required dialing software.
But, now I'm wondering how I can use my cell phone for the Road Runner dial
up access? It seems that I should some how connect the 4400 directly to
the laptop modem port, but have no idea about how to actually do this.

The 4400 FAQ at http://www.rogerbinns.com/vx4400/vx4400faq.html#Modem
says

"Your own ISP
Follow the steps above for QNC, except put in your ISP's dialup number and
your username and password details.
Connection will take around 30 seconds, but the other details are the
same."

Since RR states their own dialer software is necessary, does this apply?

--
Tom McCune

More about : lg4400 roadrunner dial

Anonymous
August 12, 2004 1:31:40 AM

"Tom McCune" <news@DELETE_THISmccune.cc> wrote in message
> But, now I'm wondering how I can use my cell phone for the Road Runner
dial
> up access? It seems that I should some how connect the 4400 directly to
> the laptop modem port, but have no idea about how to actually do this.

Just treat your LG 4400 like a Standard 33600bps Modem.
Anonymous
August 12, 2004 4:13:25 PM

"Tom McCune" <news@DELETE_THISmccune.cc> wrote in message
> While on multi-state vacation camping trip (last night now - actually
right
> now on my son's RoadRunner connection), I've mostly used the Verizon
> Internet access (America's Choice MOU), and all has gone well. One night
> used the campsite WiFi access. But at two campsites, I was on the
Extended
> Network and not able to use Verizon access. So, I just registered for the
> Road Runner Dial up access, and downloaded their required dialing
software.
> But, now I'm wondering how I can use my cell phone for the Road Runner
dial
> up access? It seems that I should some how connect the 4400 directly to
> the laptop modem port, but have no idea about how to actually do this.
>
> The 4400 FAQ at http://www.rogerbinns.com/vx4400/vx4400faq.html#Modem
> says
>
> "Your own ISP
> Follow the steps above for QNC, except put in your ISP's dialup number and
> your username and password details.
> Connection will take around 30 seconds, but the other details are the
> same."
>
> Since RR states their own dialer software is necessary, does this apply?
>
> --
> Tom McCune
> My PGP Page & FAQ: http://www.McCune.cc/PGP.htm

Tom:

You need either the Mobile Office Kit for the LG VX4400 or the after market
brand I think is called Future Dial. I use the Mobile Office Kit from
Verizon. You run the supplied set up disk(s) and you will get a secondary
dial up Icon for any dial up accounts you may need or you can simply attach
the cable to the laptop and then make sure the cell phone is turned on and
you then click on the RR Dial Up Icon and you will see the Modem for the
cell connection listed choose it. Then click on connect on the RR Dial up
icon and it will dial out as if you had dialed from home. You will also have
to remember to go into the properties for a local dial up number for the rr
service. After that is done it is as easy as breathing.

I hope that I helped?

Elector
Anonymous
August 13, 2004 5:54:33 AM

"Elector" <elector@my-deja.com> wrote in

> Tom:
>
> You need either the Mobile Office Kit for the LG VX4400 or the after
> market brand I think is called Future Dial. I use the Mobile Office
> Kit from Verizon. You run the supplied set up disk(s) and you will get
> a secondary dial up Icon for any dial up accounts you may need or you
> can simply attach the cable to the laptop and then make sure the cell
> phone is turned on and you then click on the RR Dial Up Icon and you
> will see the Modem for the cell connection listed choose it. Then
> click on connect on the RR Dial up icon and it will dial out as if you
> had dialed from home. You will also have to remember to go into the
> properties for a local dial up number for the rr service. After that
> is done it is as easy as breathing.
>
> I hope that I helped?
>
> Elector

Thank you very much. This is how I am currently connected to RR. :-)

--
Tom McCune