Motherboard RAID controller performance

pat

Expert
Nforce3 chipset has its own RAID controller as a feature of the chipset. Some motherboard manufacturer add another controller, like promise or sil on their board too. I'm currently ordering parts for my next computer and my motherboard wil be the Soltek SL-K8AN2E-GR. You can check the specs <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-180-061&depa=0" target="_new">here at newegg</A> and it got good review. My question is, since the nforce RAID controller is integrated to the chipset, is it faster than the onboard controller that has to use the PCI bus? I plan using my 2 new Seagate Barracuda 160 Gigs SATA as my RAID stripe.

Thanks!

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It has greater bandwidth, but I haven't seen performance tests.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

pat

Expert
ccording to this rview, performance are about the same, but lower CPU utilisation for the nforce controller. They noticed one anomaly with the MSI neo board they use for the benchmark of the HDD. It seem to be a fast board too

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!