Mobo (Asus A7V8X) problem

aks

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2002
Hi.

I came home from work today and have experienced severe problems with my PC. I booted it up and the mobo splash screen came up, the devices (hard drives & dvd drives) were detected but then nothing. The screen just paused after finding the devices and I left it like this for about 5 mins before rebooting. I encountered the same problem upon reboot.

I then switched off the PSU power and then back on. After that my computer wouldn't start up at all using the (PC) on/off button. The green standby LED light on the mobo was not on even when there was power to the PSU. So I got a friend to bring around a brand new boxed PSU which I connected up and once I powered it the mobo light came on, the devices were powered (i.e. I could see their lights on) but nothing was happening in terms of no hard drive noises. The monitor would not show anything, so I assume the mobo was still "stuck".

I then tried resetting the mobo CMOS and unplugged all devices from the PSU and PCI cards and removed memory (I left the CPU in) from the mobo. I switched the power on at the mains and this time the PSU did not start, but the LED light was green . I then tried hitting the PC on/off button expecting the PC to start booting, but that did nothing. I switched off the mains, then back on, then the PSU started but nothing happening with the mobo, no beeps to indicate no memory etc.

So the situation as it stands is that when turned on at the mains the PSU fan starts, the mobo light is green, any devices (if connected) light up, but nothing is happening, and (when connected) I can't see anything on the monitor. Furthermore, pressing the on/off or reset button for the PC does nothing.

Any ideas of what I should do next??

Here's the specs...

Mobo - ASUS A7V8X
CPU - AMD 2200
Devices:
80GB Maxtor HD - Primary master
20GB Maxtor HD - Primary slave
Liteon DVD Writer - Secondary master (I purchased this about 2 weeks ago, maybe this has knocked out my PSU and now the mobo is stuck in some state?)
Pioneer DVD player - Secondary slave
300 (or 350) watt PSU (the one my friend got was a 450 watt PSU)
Samsung 1GB memory (2 x 512 modules....1 of the modules was purchased about 2 weeks ago)

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
I then tried resetting the mobo CMOS and unplugged all devices from the PSU and PCI cards and removed memory (I left the CPU in) from the mobo. I switched the power on at the mains and this time the PSU did not start, but the LED light was green . I then tried hitting the PC on/off button expecting the PC to start booting, but that did nothing. I switched off the mains, then back on, then the PSU started but nothing happening with the mobo, no beeps to indicate no memory etc.
Did you try this test, but with memory? I don't think a board will POST with no RAM.

Also, if you have 2 or more sticks of RAM, try one at a time.

The best debugging would be to try and swap in different components (like you did with the PSU). Trouble is most people don't have extra CPU's etc. lying around.

<pre> \|/
jlanka (. .)
___________oOOo_(_(_)_)_oOOo___________
</pre><p>