Windows 7 retail boxes hitting stores

I believe that the features offered in the Professional and Ultimate versions are not worth the extra money. As they are features aimed at businesses.

You likely: Don't need to add your computer do a domain. Don't need to Run XP Mode (it can't play 3D games anyways). And I doubt you need the ability to boot from a virtual drive. These are features that the average Joe OR the average computer tech (such as myself) don't need....

A corporation on the other hand would definitely want these features. Most company's run a domain which would require thier PC's to be at least Windows 7 Professional. If they wanted that computer to be able to boot from a virtual drive or allow that person to have a more media rich experience then they would go with Windows 7 Ultimate.

I would say for ALL home users (Gamers, Computer Techs, it doesn't matter) you should just buy Windows 7 Home Premium.

Jim937

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
Hi, :hello:

Sounds like good advice, I will buy Win7 Home 64bit upgrade, I have WinXP Pro 32bit. The MS store is offering a Pre-order special with Free Shipping for $119.99 [This product includes both 32-bit and 64-bit versions.]

Now the Question: Buy it now or wait till [strike]ALL[/strike] Most the bugs are removed?

Free shipping offers.

Limited time offers valid only on online purchases from Microsoft Store of qualifying products. Shipping only available to the 50 US states and DC. No APO/FPO addresses or PO Boxes. Free Ground Shipping automatically applied at checkout. Additional charges apply for Next Day and 2nd Day Shipping. Offers do not apply to previous purchases, and is non-transferable and not redeemable for cash.

http://store.microsoft.com/Help/Orders-Shipping?err=t5#at5
Important pre-order information: • Pre-order is available from June 26, 2009 until October 22, 2009. • Pre-order promotional pricing is available on Windows 7 Home Premium and Windows 7 Professional versions only. • Special promotional pricing for Windows 7 is a limited time offer, while supplies last, and is limited to six (6) copies per customer. • A credit card is required for pre-order, but your card will not be charged until your order is shipped or the product is made available for download. • On or about October 22, 2009, you will receive e-mail with information about how to redeem your order.

uh_no

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
hey jim

you do realize that people have been using this for a year already.....and those types of bugs are long gone....also you do know once you buy there are these cool free things called UPDATES which fix any subsequent bugs....so what incentive do you have to not buy now

Jim937

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009

Hi, :hello:

Your right I can buy now. How did I get in the UK forum, hmmmm I guess I did a search for Win7...anyway here is what we are saying in the TH USA forum:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/1064-63-win2k-newbie-win7-upgrade-advice-help#t8582

Not all of the Professional and Ultimate features are strictly aimed at businesses. Average Joe might have some app that simply refuses to run in 7, therefore making XP Mode useful which of course Home Premium users are not licensed for.

With computer thefts (especially laptops) being more widely advertised by the media, EFS and BitLocker become more attractive (yes I know there are other options out there like Truecrypt, but hopefully, you see my point).

This one is rare compared to the other points above, but there are people out there running domains on their home networks. I personally am not one of them, but I know a number of people doing this. Granted, they work in the IT industry like myself, but they are home networks all the same.

So no... not ALL home users should blindly buy Home Premium. They should first determine what their specific needs are, and make a choice based on that.

FREERAVEN

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
I feel like you should buy "ultimate" version. The obvious choice for a man of the world! just think you now have a reason to say ULTIMATE every time you start up the old pc.
Just the sound of the word rolling off your tounge as you raise you mouse into the sky like he-man in front of his castle screaming... " i have the power" ULTIMATE. now thats a word! Or just be normal and buy window 7 normal guy version for a normal boring never quite Ultimate kinda life and you can say things like "yes dear" and " I am sorry honey" or maybe even "weee" whenever you decide to start up the old magic math machine!