Sign in with
Your question

ME Realy is a Crap OS

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
November 18, 2004 12:40:25 AM

I've heard many reports that ME is a CRAP OS.

Now I believe it! Crashes all the time, system restore says it can't restore OS - no changes have been made, etc.

What's the good of system restore if it can't restore!

<font color=red>DCB</font color=red><font color=white>_</font color=white><font color=blue>AU</font color=blue>

More about : realy crap

November 18, 2004 3:36:31 AM

98SE was leaner and more stable. But all 9x chipsets had problems recovering from chipset errors, VIA ruined AMD and MS's reputation!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
November 18, 2004 12:08:05 PM

MS needs no one to be the fall guy, they suck perfectly, and the only way to change this is if they invest in vacuum systems, only then will the not suck!

<font color=red><pre>\\//__________________________________
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>
Related resources
November 18, 2004 4:17:32 PM

Don't you think its about time to release the VIA vendetta you have, its getting old and they've gone way past those days! WinME just sucked period and it really didn't matter what chipset you had!

I'm 4ryan6 and I approved this message! :smile:
November 18, 2004 5:44:16 PM

I agree 100%
The time I had WinME installed on my computer was just painfull.

"A delayed game will eventually come out, a bad game is bad forever."
-Shigeru Miyamoto
November 18, 2004 8:24:50 PM

VIA knew how to make a half bad OS look terrible.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
November 18, 2004 8:33:23 PM

Maybe when VIA starts publishing errata all the way back to when I first started having problems.

Anyway, ME was poorly done, but 98SE worked fine on MY systems, proving MS did a poor job of "upgrading features" when they released ME.

November 19, 2004 2:09:15 AM

98SE was my favored OP/SYS for a long time, I agree with what you said about it, in your opinion what OP/SYS do you think is the best choice today?

November 19, 2004 2:49:28 AM

I like 98SE but went to XP due to the lack of support for new hardware and new programs under 98SE. It's just old. They should streamline XP or come up with a new version of DOS for a new OS.

November 19, 2004 3:46:52 AM

/////They should streamline XP or come up with a new version of DOS for a new OS.

DOS did give a lot of advantages, it appears Microsoft with SP2 is just loading the OP/SYS down instead of streamlining it, SP2 IMO hasn't been such a good SP upgrade, its probably going to take SP3 to resolve the problems some people are having with the upgrade.

I have WinXP Pro w SP2 installed on a dedicated HDD for online gaming, with nothing else on the HDD and so far with that setup I haven't had any problems with it, but thats not saying much for WinXPs SP2, because the same HDD I installed SP2 as an upgrade, and ended up reloading the OP/SYS from scratch, because of the problems it created.

Now for my important everyday business aspect I'm using Win2K Pro w SP4, that OP/SYS in my opinion is one of the best Microsoft has to offer but it is up to SP4 to finally get a good performer out of it. So undoubtably XP has a ways to go before they get all the bugs out of it, and hopefully they will.

November 19, 2004 4:42:01 AM

Back around 2001 I was looking at discount versions of 98SE for my systems and came across the fact that DOS was still selling, and for a fairly high price! I was thinking that the few buyers left were probably using it for PLC's or something.

November 19, 2004 12:47:02 PM

XP has bugs?!?

<font color=red><pre>\\//__________________________________
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>
December 7, 2004 1:05:03 PM

Actually, most of the new PLC software runs on Windows XP. Even some of the older software will run on XP, albeit in DOS mode.

But yes, there are a few PLC software programs/cables that won't work in anything newer than 98SE, somethimes Win95!!

XP2800+, Abit NF7, 1GB Dual-Channel DDR333, ATI R9800PRO 128MB, TT PurePower 420W, LG DVD+-R/RW
December 8, 2004 1:25:52 AM

Ah, but you can put DOS on a ROM. And new tech large capacity ROM's aren't required. Many custom cards are produced for ISA slots as well. So you can even find Socket 478 boards with ISA slots.

Some of these custom programs are old and simple, using CPU clocks for timing...and require 8086 erra CPU's!

December 13, 2004 3:35:54 PM

ME has bugs???

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...
!