Why will proposed 2 PCIE x16 M/B's share one x16ch

geoff

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2001
I have only read about one board by Via to offer dual PCI express x16 slots. However they said they will share one x16 channel. What are the reasons for this? And will it compromise an SLI configuration?

Geoff.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I think the PCI-Express controller only has 32 data streams, hence they have to do some sharing to have two X16 slots allong with several x1 slots.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

geoff

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2001
I have found some updated info. On Anandtech, I spied an article about Nvidia's chipset for M/B's which will support dual PCIe x16 slots. It will also share one x16 channel between two x16 slots, as with the VIA solution. But they explain that current generation cards do not require the full x16 channels. AGP8 has a theoretical throughput of 2.1GBps half Duplex. But a PCIe x16 slot with only x8 channels has a maximum theoretical throughput of 2GBps Full duplex. So my original concerns seem unnecessary.

So roll on guys and finish your boards. I have found my new system.

Geoff.