PC hanging due to PCI USB card

xazos79

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
Hi all,

I'm currently upgrading a friends computer. The motherboard is an 748MLRT Xcel 2000. It has 1 PCI slot that i'm attempting to connect a 4port USB card to. When the card is installed, i don't even get to the POST screen on bootup. It hangs. As soon as i take it out, the PC boots fine. Previously there was an internal modem occupying the PCI slot (and it worked fine). I have enabled USB in the BIOS. In device manager (in win98) the USB Root Hub is installed and the Sis Open Host Controller is also installed and working properly. But i doubt it's an OS problem as i don't even get into POST.

The motherboard does have a port to accept an ATX Form Card ( www.amptron.com/html/atx...card.pinout.html ), but i will order one of those as a last resort (they are hard to find).

Does anyone have any ideas on what i can do to get this PCI USB card working?

ps. this is the second USB card i've tried so the USB card isn't faulty.

Cheers,

X

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I have an ATX form card, how much would you pay for it?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

xazos79

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
I can get one new from an online store in australia for about $15 AUD ($11 US). With delivery its probably about $25 AUD.

Is yours in good condition? And how much ya want?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'm in the U.S. so even though I was looking at around 1/2 that price you'd probably get it cheaper there.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Thats an old PC-Chips M748LMRT motherboard, my mate has one and i had (till it died) an M748MR (no LAN or Modem)... they use the same 'expansion' card for most of their AT boards which contains the ports for IR, PS2 mice and 2xUSB... its a 'standard' card / item seen on lots of older (P2 and P3) systems aparently... by the way - the chipset is a SiS620 + SiS 5595 combo and the manafacturer goes under many names (ECS, EliteGroup, PCChips).

Try entering the BIOS and change the following (if there in the bios - dont expect any luck - PCChips are the worst brand to buy, dodgy bios's and so on - if you owned an ASUS board you wouldnt be here right now):
Assign IRQ for USB: No / Off / Disabled
Onboard USB: Disabled (if its there)

If that doesnt help upgrade the bios (www.pcchips.com.tw)...

Hope that helps

xazos79

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
Cheers for the advice. Seems like you know your old boards pretty well. I did manage to get a hold of an ATX Form Card. Unfortunately, the motherboard acts as if it doesn't exist. When i plug a mouse into the ps2 port it doesn't pick it up. When i plug a usb key into the usb ports the motherboard doesn't pick it up. In devices the usb root hub is installed and functioning normally.

In the bios there is no mention on ATX Form Card settings. I'm at my wit's end here, i have updated the bios to what i believe is the latest version. I also have the drivers for the motherboard but they are just .infs .dlls etc. No setup.exe to run the install.

Not sure where to go from here.

I was just working on a similar system again based on the PCChips M748LMRT, mine did the same thing - by accident i didnt plug in the expansion card's cable properly (missed two of the pins) and it didnt work, after carefully checking i realised why it did it, so check the cable just incase.

By the way you may have to disable the onboard usb to use a usb card incase the board or the card want to keep the same IRQ's and DMA's (change "USB Function" to disabled) (if your want to use the card).

I used to a PCChips M748MR - the onboard printer port died on me so im not suprised that it doesnt work... have you (last resort) tried re-installing windows to see if you can get the onboard usb working?

One last thing - drivers - if you go into system properties (right click on my computer and click properties) and from there you can select an item then update the drivers from there (tell windows where the drivers are like the .dll and .inf files or driver set) to update. I dont think its a driver issue (i set up my system with the M748LMRT and i didnt need drivers to get the ps2 and usb ports going).

Hope that helps you.