Sign in with
Your question

Please do not laugh

Tags:
  • PC gaming
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
May 30, 2010 7:57:44 PM

Please do not laugh at my question, I have finally got a decent PC and am looking to make the move from console to PC gaming but I am a little confused with one small (but important) aspect. Those people who play games on their PC are they using keyboard/mouse or do they have a controller that they use?

More about : laugh

May 30, 2010 8:28:04 PM

The majority use keyboard/mouse but some people prefer to use a xbox 360 controller
m
l
May 30, 2010 8:38:57 PM

Keyboard and Mouse is the way to go. I Thought I was good at console gaming... but man Im so good at FPSs on PC... its not even funny.
m
l
Related resources
May 30, 2010 8:42:03 PM

Depends on what you are playing. FPS games and Strategy games are much better off with the Keyboard and Mouse. Racing games are better with a Pad imo.
Also There are plenty of controllers out there and not just the Xbox 360 pads. I sometimes use my PS3's Sixaxis controller for the PC. But there are plenty of controllers out there.
You will know after 5 minutes of playing a game which one it would be more comfortable to use.
m
l
May 30, 2010 9:44:51 PM

I have to agree, FPS games are MADE for keyboard and mouse! Here's a question though, are you using default controls for every game? I have played games like Enter The Matrix just fine with a keyboard and mouse because of a certain control layout my family and I use. Here's what we use for games such as Bioshock:

Left Mouse Button - Move Forward
Right mouse Button - Move Backward
S - Strafe Left
F - Strafe Right
D - Walk/Run
C - Crouch
A - Jump
V - Hack
G - Use First Aid Kit
R - Reload
Space Bar - Fire
Alt - Switch Between Weapons and Plasmids
Numbers 1-8 - Equip Weapon 1-8
F1-F6 - Equip Plasmid 1-6

When you put your hands in position to play BioShock with this control layout, you'll notice that your left hand would be in the exact position as if you were going to type! No matter which game my family plays, the movement and firing controls are going to be the same. Only if there are different controls in another game do we change anything. I hope this control layout will do fine for anybody else too!
m
l
May 31, 2010 8:19:32 PM

Love my mouse and keyboard (G15 and Razer Copperhead) But I still use my xbox 360 controller for games like GTA, Saints Row 2, racing games (if I don't hook up my race wheel)

Also I gave Crysis a whirl with a controller, and while interesting, it completely dumbs the game down. The silly console kiddies won't know what they are missing when Crysis 2 launches for them.
m
l
June 1, 2010 1:08:46 AM

thorn3x3 said:
I have to agree, FPS games are MADE for keyboard and mouse! Here's a question though, are you using default controls for every game? I have played games like Enter The Matrix just fine with a keyboard and mouse because of a certain control layout my family and I use. Here's what we use for games such as Bioshock:

Left Mouse Button - Move Forward
Right mouse Button - Move Backward
S - Strafe Left
F - Strafe Right
D - Walk/Run
C - Crouch
A - Jump
V - Hack
G - Use First Aid Kit
R - Reload
Space Bar - Fire
Alt - Switch Between Weapons and Plasmids
Numbers 1-8 - Equip Weapon 1-8
F1-F6 - Equip Plasmid 1-6

When you put your hands in position to play BioShock with this control layout, you'll notice that your left hand would be in the exact position as if you were going to type! No matter which game my family plays, the movement and firing controls are going to be the same. Only if there are different controls in another game do we change anything. I hope this control layout will do fine for anybody else too!
who on earth uses the right and left mouse button to walk?
m
l
June 1, 2010 2:12:14 AM

Ahaha I know!!! Ever heard of wasd?
And aiming with the mouse. That is the most retarded set of controls i've ever seen in my whole entire life.
m
l
June 1, 2010 5:11:01 AM

Um, going to have to agree that mouse and keyboard for most games is the way to go. There are a select few that I would prefer an Xbox 360 controller with.

You can download Xpadder which allows you to use your controller for navigating the desktop as well as any game you desire. So long as you know how to configure the program. There are quite a few pre-configured profiles for certain games.

I for one used an Xbox 360 controller for Mass Effect 2 as well as Bioshock 2.. it just feels a bit more natural for those games.
m
l
June 1, 2010 5:53:59 AM

I Use Keyboard+Mouse for FPS Games.
And
Gamepad for Racing and Third Person Games(Like Prince of persia).

But you will know what to use once you play the game. You don't need to worry about that :) 
m
l
June 1, 2010 11:44:20 AM

redwing3139 said:
Please do not laugh at my question, I have finally got a decent PC and am looking to make the move from console to PC gaming but I am a little confused with one small (but important) aspect. Those people who play games on their PC are they using keyboard/mouse or do they have a controller that they use?

I use keyboard and mouse for any game.But I personally cannot play soccer games like FIFA :(  .I feel its very difficult to play using a keyboard.
m
l
June 1, 2010 8:34:52 PM

I have never been able to get used to using the wasd keys for movement, I may just not be that dexterous, but it never felt right to me after using joysticks on the speccy, Atari ST and Amiga. So I use a Saitek ST260 Pro joystick along with the Saitek software to map the keys to the joystick. It's really simple, totally stable and has worked with every game I have tried. My mouse is the Logitech MX revolution so has quite a few controls, which can also be mapped to keyboard keys. I rarely have touch the keyboard in FPS's. For 3rd person games I use a control pad (saitek also) but I prefer a steering wheel and pedals for driving games (also saitek). So if your struggling with the keyboard but like using the mouse so don't want to use a pad for FPS's, I would suggest a joystick for movement and the mouse for aiming, and firing, but a pad is definatley worth the investment for platformers, 3rd person shooters, and driving games if you don't have space for a wheels and peddles.
m
l
June 2, 2010 4:42:50 AM

wasd are the way to go!
m
l
June 2, 2010 4:56:10 PM

:lol: 

sorry. hard not to.
m
l
!