FEAR Requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

claudehl

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hi Guys:

I just bought F.E.A.R. (Steam has a good deal on this). My 22 inch monitor has a native resolution 1600 x 1050. I was surprised that my video card could not run the game at native resolution with any descent options. To keep the game playable, I have to turn the effects fairly close to minimum. What type of video card do you need to run this game with most of the effects turned on?

Intel Q9450
ATI 3870HD 512MB
4.0GB DDR3

Thanks,
Claude

p.s. I know about the HID slow down (what a pain) and I did disable all of them while playing.

Solution
its not your graphics card, are you plaing the new fear or the old ones, if your are pplaying the old F.E.A.R. then it is your drivers. i have to turn all my settings down with my 2 5850s because the game isnt supportive of the newer drivers.

Collie147

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
a 3870 isn't a great gaming card to be honest, it's fine for watching bluray or decoding 1080 mkvs, but gaming wise it's not built for much. You've decent specs otherwise though. What's your budget?

claudehl

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I would consider an upgrading the video card. I value quiet operation above performance though, so I doubt I would buy the fastest graphics card on the market. However, I did add an aftermarket cooler to the 3870 since it wasn't ungodly loud. I could do that as well to the card, if it proves too noisy.

I wouldn't pay any more than $300.00 for the upgrade. The ATI 3870HD is my first ATI graphics card since the Rage 128 of many many years ago.

Would you recommend a 5800 or 5700 series with a 1.0gb of ram?

Thanks,
Claude

Slayer32163

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
its not your graphics card, are you plaing the new fear or the old ones, if your are pplaying the old F.E.A.R. then it is your drivers. i have to turn all my settings down with my 2 5850s because the game isnt supportive of the newer drivers.

Solution

Tamz_msc

Distinguished

There are some problems with F.E.A.R. running on ATi cards.But its mainly due to lack of driver support.I doubt that upgrading will solve the issue.If you can could you run it on an NVIDIA card of the same time as the 3870(like an 8800gt)?I am not telling you to get an NVIDIA card but just check it out.I bet it would run perfectly.

claudehl

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hi All:

Didn't buy a new card but did update the driver and made sure all the HIDs were disabled in Device Manager. Able to run pretty close to maximum effects. This is such a wonderful game with a involving story line. The accoustics play so well with the visual to make it a "fear" experience. Can't wait to play fear 3. You gotta feel for Alma, betrayed, deserted to oblivion. Wish the writers would give her a more human side to her vengance.

C.

nodnod

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011
i would like to ask if its compatible geforce 5500 fx video cards to f.e.a.r. 1 as a requirements to play a game please send a comment for confirmation ..tnx

Status
Not open for further replies.