Help with Choice of Mobo

XChamp

Distinguished
May 18, 2004
I am building a new computer and I really don't know much about mother boards and processors. The main use of my computer will be for internet poker playing and for that I need many applications running simultaneously. I already have a 23" apple display to accomodate that. I also play games and plan on picking up half life 2. I suppose i'm looking for a motherboard and chipset that is one tier below top of the line and will be easily upgradable in a 2 years or so. Should I worry about PCI express? I dont plan on overcloaking or anything like that.

thanks for the help.

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
How much can you spend?

Why does internet poker playing require many applications at once? I would assume that doesn't require much in the way of power, but half-life 2 will require a half-decent gaming rig.

I'd probably suggest a A64 system, but your call for many apps running simultaneously might warrant a P4 (hyperthreading is good for that sort of stuff and only comes on P4 chips)

Post a budget and ppl will probably suggest stuff.

---
Epox 8RDA+ V1.1 w/ Custom NB HS
XP1700+ @200x10 (~2Ghz), 1.4 Vcore
2x256Mb Corsair PC3200LL/1x512Mb Corsair XMS PC4000 2.5-3-3-7
Sapphire 9800Pro (VGA Silencer Rev3) @418/742

XChamp

Distinguished
May 18, 2004
Well playing poker on the internet requires many apps because I am a serious player. For example, I will have 3-5 tables running at once, a database program running that will keep track of every hand played (sometimes I need to look through the database as I play), excel to keep track of finances, a program that calculates odds, an email program to recieve hand histories, winamp so I can listen to music, internet explorer so I can do daily chores or surf as I play, AIM so i can talk to family/friends...I think you see my point.

My budget is pretty high. I was looking at monarchcomputer.com and I am willing to spend about $2,000 (hopefully less). I figure that is a lot since I already have a monitor, speakers, and a graphics card (may need upgrade). If someone can convince me that spending more money will help me play poker better, then of course I will spend it since I see this as an investment. It is very frustrating to lose money when my comp starts dragging and slows down during a hand causing me to make a mistake. So, basically I believe this computer will pay for itself in a few months.

Someone else suggested "Socket 939 Athlon 64 or Athlon 64 FX system," on another site. How is this different than a P4, or where can I go to read about the differences? Like I said, I don't really know what I'm doing, but I am literate enough that I can understand if it is explained well.

Once again, thanks for the help.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Even if a P4 is better for his apps (which I'm not going to debate, not enough info), a 2.8C would be fine, and the Abit IS7 (865PE) is in the same performance league as the best 875P boards for 1/2 the price. 1/2 priced CPU, 1/2 priced board, can't go wrong with that concept.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>