PCI Express.. Im and idiot

Im My previous post "PCI Express why wait".. I was un unaware that PCI
Express motherboards are now available at reasonable prices, so are the
graphics cards... time for another upgrade soon : (
I hate upgrading it takes so bloody long to get my system running the way I
want things.

Andy.
3 answers Last reply
More about express idiot
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    "Angellus" <andy_email2002"NOSPAM"@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message news:cJp6d.7709$5O5.4053@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
    > Im My previous post "PCI Express why wait".. I was un unaware that PCI
    > Express motherboards are now available at reasonable prices, so are the
    > graphics cards... time for another upgrade soon : (
    > I hate upgrading it takes so bloody long to get my system running the way I
    > want things.

    Beware PCI-Express mobos with only one x16 slot for a video card. A
    quick search of several large mobo retailers just now turned up exactly
    zero mobos with more than 1 x16 slot. There may be some available now,
    but I don't know who or where.

    If you get a PCI-X mobo with only one x16 slot, you won't be able to add
    multiple x16 videocards onto it later, for dual+ videocard action. That in
    itself is the main reason I'll be making a PCI-X system sometime next year,
    after there are better, more mature PCI-X mobos- the ability to link up mul-
    tiple video cards in multiple x16 slots, for a wicked boost in gaming capa-
    bility. But if you don't ever plan on doing that, then go for it :-)
    -Marshall
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    "Marshall" <marshall@nospam.com> wrote in message

    > "Angellus" <andy_email2002"NOSPAM"@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
    > > Im My previous post "PCI Express why wait".. I was un unaware that PCI
    > > Express motherboards are now available at reasonable prices, so are the
    > > graphics cards... time for another upgrade soon : (
    > > I hate upgrading it takes so bloody long to get my system running the
    way I
    > > want things.
    >
    > Beware PCI-Express mobos with only one x16 slot for a video card. A
    > quick search of several large mobo retailers just now turned up exactly
    > zero mobos with more than 1 x16 slot. There may be some available now,
    > but I don't know who or where.
    >
    > If you get a PCI-X mobo with only one x16 slot, you won't be able to add
    > multiple x16 videocards onto it later, for dual+ videocard action. That in
    > itself is the main reason I'll be making a PCI-X system sometime next
    year,
    > after there are better, more mature PCI-X mobos- the ability to link up
    mul-
    > tiple video cards in multiple x16 slots, for a wicked boost in gaming
    capa-
    > bility. But if you don't ever plan on doing that, then go for it :-)

    I had a look at this a couple of weeks back. The limiting factor seems to be
    that the current PCIe chip-set only supports 20 links. I've seen three
    variations of mobos (some might not be currently available);
    1) x16 only
    2) x16 + x4
    3) x16 and 4 x1
    I wonder if we'll ever see anything with two (or more) x16 slots.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    I was going to build a new system but decided that a CPU upgrade was going
    to be cheaper ( DDR2 RAM is expensive ATM ). For the gains I'll get from a
    slightly better PCI express card and DDR2 RAM. It didn't seem wort the cost
    ATM.

    If I can get good money on EBay for my old 2.6 GHZ P4 chip, I'll still get
    good money on the system with a 3.2Ghz, 1 meg cache, chip in the near
    future.

    Andy.

    "Marshall" <marshall@nospam.com> wrote in message

    > "Angellus" <andy_email2002"NOSPAM"@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
    > > Im My previous post "PCI Express why wait".. I was un unaware that PCI
    > > Express motherboards are now available at reasonable prices, so are the
    > > graphics cards... time for another upgrade soon : (
    > > I hate upgrading it takes so bloody long to get my system running the
    way I
    > > want things.
    >
    > Beware PCI-Express mobos with only one x16 slot for a video card. A
    > quick search of several large mobo retailers just now turned up exactly
    > zero mobos with more than 1 x16 slot. There may be some available now,
    > but I don't know who or where.
    >
    > If you get a PCI-X mobo with only one x16 slot, you won't be able to add
    > multiple x16 videocards onto it later, for dual+ videocard action. That in
    > itself is the main reason I'll be making a PCI-X system sometime next
    year,
    > after there are better, more mature PCI-X mobos- the ability to link up
    mul-
    > tiple video cards in multiple x16 slots, for a wicked boost in gaming
    capa-
    > bility. But if you don't ever plan on doing that, then go for it :-)
    > -Marshall

Graphics Cards Games Motherboards PCI Express Video Games