PCI Express.. Im and idiot

Last response: in Video Games
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
September 29, 2004 7:11:04 AM

Im My previous post "PCI Express why wait".. I was un unaware that PCI
Express motherboards are now available at reasonable prices, so are the
graphics cards... time for another upgrade soon : (
I hate upgrading it takes so bloody long to get my system running the way I
want things.

Andy.

More about : pci express idiot

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
September 29, 2004 7:45:25 AM

"Angellus" <andy_email2002"NOSPAM"@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message news:cJp6d.7709$5O5.4053@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
> Im My previous post "PCI Express why wait".. I was un unaware that PCI
> Express motherboards are now available at reasonable prices, so are the
> graphics cards... time for another upgrade soon : (
> I hate upgrading it takes so bloody long to get my system running the way I
> want things.

Beware PCI-Express mobos with only one x16 slot for a video card. A
quick search of several large mobo retailers just now turned up exactly
zero mobos with more than 1 x16 slot. There may be some available now,
but I don't know who or where.

If you get a PCI-X mobo with only one x16 slot, you won't be able to add
multiple x16 videocards onto it later, for dual+ videocard action. That in
itself is the main reason I'll be making a PCI-X system sometime next year,
after there are better, more mature PCI-X mobos- the ability to link up mul-
tiple video cards in multiple x16 slots, for a wicked boost in gaming capa-
bility. But if you don't ever plan on doing that, then go for it :-)
-Marshall
September 29, 2004 11:31:36 AM

"Marshall" <marshall@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:p dq6d.1745$Yr.1207@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net...

> "Angellus" <andy_email2002"NOSPAM"@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
> > Im My previous post "PCI Express why wait".. I was un unaware that PCI
> > Express motherboards are now available at reasonable prices, so are the
> > graphics cards... time for another upgrade soon : (
> > I hate upgrading it takes so bloody long to get my system running the
way I
> > want things.
>
> Beware PCI-Express mobos with only one x16 slot for a video card. A
> quick search of several large mobo retailers just now turned up exactly
> zero mobos with more than 1 x16 slot. There may be some available now,
> but I don't know who or where.
>
> If you get a PCI-X mobo with only one x16 slot, you won't be able to add
> multiple x16 videocards onto it later, for dual+ videocard action. That in
> itself is the main reason I'll be making a PCI-X system sometime next
year,
> after there are better, more mature PCI-X mobos- the ability to link up
mul-
> tiple video cards in multiple x16 slots, for a wicked boost in gaming
capa-
> bility. But if you don't ever plan on doing that, then go for it :-)

I had a look at this a couple of weeks back. The limiting factor seems to be
that the current PCIe chip-set only supports 20 links. I've seen three
variations of mobos (some might not be currently available);
1) x16 only
2) x16 + x4
3) x16 and 4 x1
I wonder if we'll ever see anything with two (or more) x16 slots.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
September 30, 2004 6:43:17 AM

I was going to build a new system but decided that a CPU upgrade was going
to be cheaper ( DDR2 RAM is expensive ATM ). For the gains I'll get from a
slightly better PCI express card and DDR2 RAM. It didn't seem wort the cost
ATM.

If I can get good money on EBay for my old 2.6 GHZ P4 chip, I'll still get
good money on the system with a 3.2Ghz, 1 meg cache, chip in the near
future.

Andy.

!