Closed

Day 1: FEAR 3 Scariest Game Of All Time

Tags:
Last response: in News comments
June 8, 2010 1:22:19 AM

It looks like a nice story but these early screenshots look like poo
Related resources
June 8, 2010 1:45:15 AM

F.E.A.R.1 scared the crap out of me at least I finish it, cause I play at my shop which got a lot of people.
F.E.A.R.2 scared the crap out of me till I can't finish the game cause I moved my office back to my house with not really that much people.
F.E.A.R.3 depends on where I am, or I just watch it on youtube, Haha
But weird enough, I don't think Dead Space and Doom3 scares me cause I finish them a few times might due to I know that those monsters are out in space, and F.E.A.R.'s Alma...She might exist...
June 8, 2010 1:54:52 AM

Fear 1 wasn't scary at all. I never played it, but all the reviews I've read said fear 2 wasn't as scary as the first. I'm not expecting much from the third.

The penetrator's freaking hilarious, if that counts for anything.
June 8, 2010 2:05:55 AM

I played Fear 2. It was scary for me. I cannot imagine what the developers are up to. Those people behind the screens making the game must be nuts!
June 8, 2010 2:26:02 AM

sounds good, havent played any of them but I might try
Anonymous
June 8, 2010 2:36:09 AM

tomb raider used to scare me...
June 8, 2010 2:51:36 AM

i'd be surprised if it was scarier than the penumbra series... god damn..

but then again, i have a strong hunch that this is just hype.. it have a feeling it's gonna fall flat on it's face
June 8, 2010 3:14:03 AM

Don't play it when your alone.
June 8, 2010 3:26:43 AM

lol for a sec, i thought im reading an Onion News article...
June 8, 2010 4:07:17 AM

No - it's a pretty good game.
I've just picked up the original F.E.A.R. (3-pack) on Steam, for $9.99 it's a steal.
The game is excellent and yes, quite unsettling... not for the faint of heart!
I probably will pickup F.E.A.R. 2 next.
Coming off something massive like Far Cry 2, I'm enjoying being 'led' through the disquieting story and not having to think too much.
But it's definitely nasty and scary,
Regards
June 8, 2010 4:20:16 AM

I don't understand how people can be afraid when playing games that have you looking down the barrel of a gun. Fear, The Suffering, System Shock and others don't even make me jump the slightest. I don't understand why developers think that adding more blood and disturbing looking monsters contributes to actual "fear" in the game.

Through my entire gaming life only two games have made me actually look twice before entering the hallway: Fatal Frame 2 & Penumbra Overture.
June 8, 2010 4:31:49 AM

I liked the first FEAR a lot. Closely tied to DOOM in a scare market, DOOM got too predictable. FEAR quickly became scarier, and even the rarely predictable moments would make you hesitant to play. I remember saying, "Please tell me I don't have to walk down this hallway, oh god." Hopefully the game's engine got a relook from the previous titles though. It's hard to tell judging by the screenshots.
June 8, 2010 5:35:42 AM

I'm not scared by video games very easily, but the first FEAR plus expansions scared the crap out of me (sometime literally). The second one, not so much, but I really hope the third one gets back to what the original was capable of...
June 8, 2010 5:37:28 AM

rage machineFear, The Suffering, System Shock and others don't even make me jump the slightest. ... Through my entire gaming life only two games have made me actually look twice before entering the hallway: Fatal Frame 2 & Penumbra Overture.

I completely agree. The FF series and Silent Hill easily overtake FEAR, System Shock 2, The Suffering, Doom 3, etc.. The scary moments are too predictably mixed in with the action. And I have yet to see any game top "The Cradle" level in Thief 3.
June 8, 2010 5:38:20 AM

FEAR3 to be the scariest game? This article is a joke unless FEAR3 somehow leapfrogs over its predecessors.
June 8, 2010 6:13:22 AM

Cryostasis is quite scary in several parts of the game.
June 8, 2010 6:25:25 AM

FEAR is a game which would scare you depending on the way you play it.If you are playing it hesitantly, peeking around every corner every now and then, switching on the flashlight in every room you enter and think that something's going to happen the moment you do anything then it gets quite scary.On the other hand if you just ignore the darkness and paly it like an old school run n' gun game you'll not find the slightest hint of scare in it.
June 8, 2010 6:26:04 AM

Fear 2 didn't scare me one bit.

Doom 3 was pretty scary, with the "jump" scares, and sounds of machinery that sounded like alien hisses. Claustrophobic environments really intensify the rush.

Dead Space was probably the best scare game i have played, ever, at least in the earlier levels. The zero gravity and places where you had limited oxygen really contributed to the adrenaline rush. The first time you get grabbed by that worm monster in the wall and sucked in was really memorable. It gave a feeling of helplessness.

Another thing, the aiming gave me a sense of being really human, it was very complex to aim, and nontraditional compared to a normal fps (note i played the pc version) whether because the aiming wasn't well designed, or made like that on purpose. The delayed reaction times and recoils as well as the slow moving speeds of the character added to the intensity and rush when you were surrounded by all the different types of aliens.

Add all the ways you can kill an alien then add a fairly original story. I cannot wait till deadspace 2. I did try deadspace extraction for the wii but the graphics, and the rails game play really stole the realness out of the first game.
June 8, 2010 6:31:33 AM

hmm ... let's wait and see ... Fear 1 was quite a nice game, I finished it 2 or 3 times. However it was too predictable in the shooting department (ambushes and traps). The best part was first meeting Fetel, when he smacked the player with a board :-)
June 8, 2010 7:00:32 AM

Ah I remember playing FEAR, gave me the heebie jeebies
June 8, 2010 8:15:42 AM

Cool game. I can't wait for this one. But I think that the first one was more scary.
June 8, 2010 8:46:51 AM

Kparish... probably a predictable October 31 date since gamers are already spooked up on Halloween.

Actually, we're already planning what our Darlek suit is going to look like.
June 8, 2010 10:59:55 AM

Promises, promises, easy to make, harder to keep, whats scary to one may be a joke to another!

I remember going to see the Exorcist at the theater the thing that scared me more than the movie, was the guy laughing about 12 seats away from me all the way through the movie, that was disturbing since I personally didn't see anything funny about it.

Playing the Colonial Marine in the Aliens vs Predator series {All of them} has always been a great fear level of intensity to me, but that's probably because those games were based on actual ground breaking SCI-FI horror movies.

So the fear level and expectation was there before you ever played the game the first time, F.E.A.R. the entire franchise is really so, so, on the actual fear level, once you get into the games is just new repetition, so this new fear promise is probably just game hype, pre-sell, customer setup.

Most all of us that have already played the existing F.E.A.R. releases, will play F.E.A.R. 3 out of shear curiosity, to find out if the original character is actually Alma's son anyway.

My 2 cents. Ryan
June 8, 2010 11:29:58 AM

Anyone remember the laboratory from stalker? That was some scary creepy stuff, never tried fear though because didnt have a proper pc yet, might give fear 3 a chance some night:D 
June 8, 2010 12:10:29 PM

Reminds me when I was a kid playing my first scary game on the PC, alone in the dark...now those were the days when they had to make it scary with suspense because the graphics certainly wouldn't do it for most people.Anyone else remember the tape ribbons and the finite number of saves?
June 8, 2010 12:23:53 PM

I dunno... FEAR got real boring to me real quick, so never bothered with the second. Maybe I'll give it another try. I AM replaying Dead Space again, and that still gives me the shivers. I think the limited mobility interface of the first one on the PC really added to that element as you were almost hampered from handling action from every direction - as a human would be.
June 8, 2010 12:28:01 PM

I liked the FEAR series a lot and played all of them, but I can hardly believe that any game can be scarier than Demon's Souls, that is a SCARY game and also very good to play.
June 8, 2010 12:28:06 PM

seraphimcadutoReminds me when I was a kid playing my first scary game on the PC, alone in the dark...now those were the days when they had to make it scary with suspense because the graphics certainly wouldn't do it for most people.Anyone else remember the tape ribbons and the finite number of saves?

I played all STALKERS, great series, better than fear and also scarier, it's also my favorite FPS (more like RPS) series, but as I said in other post, no game beats Demons's Souls in terms of real fear.
June 8, 2010 1:11:13 PM

greghomeI miss the first game
It's ten bucks on steam.
June 8, 2010 2:16:18 PM

Obviously the writter never played Miss Pac-Man
June 8, 2010 3:08:14 PM

Sorry, the scariest game ever made would be Undying. FEAR was not scary, at all, not a bit. And FEAR 3 won't be either.
June 8, 2010 3:15:20 PM

Scariest game for me, Fear of the Dark. A. revolutionary interface and gameplay B. great story C. well scripted events and sounds

I guess it's probably tame compared to today's games, but it's like the 60s and 70s horror movies compared to them now. Special effects take the place of story and film technique these days.
June 8, 2010 3:39:40 PM

It will be a great thing to have coop in a fear game. I just hope it's none of those, "DID YOU SEE THAT?! IT POPPED UP ON MY SCREEN!" while the other person has no clue what's going on. In coop will people be able to talk to one another via mic? I hope so, can't stand multiplayer games like that with no chat, or mic. (I remember Borderlands we simply used Steam to talk to one another)
June 8, 2010 4:03:27 PM

I just moved my toilet to the computer desk. I am ready to go!
June 8, 2010 4:09:13 PM

dEAneDon't play it when your alone.

I played the original in a cold room with the lights off alone.
I didn't get far...

This is one game I certainly will not get...
June 8, 2010 5:23:05 PM

jubalhharshawI played all STALKERS, great series, better than fear and also scarier, it's also my favorite FPS (more like RPS) series, but as I said in other post, no game beats Demons's Souls in terms of real fear.

STALKER SoC when you had to go underground to the lab, scary. But the scariest game of all time.....Crysis with my 8800 GTS and e6300 on high with x16AA....now those frame rates were dead scary!!!!!!
June 8, 2010 5:33:21 PM

I still think Doom 3 was the scariest game I ever played to date.
June 8, 2010 5:34:22 PM

TrialskingSTALKER SoC when you had to go underground to the lab, scary. But the scariest game of all time.....Crysis with my 8800 GTS and e6300 on high with x16AA....now those frame rates were dead scary!!!!!!

That's right, STALKER games were creepy too.
June 8, 2010 5:44:13 PM

anamaniacI played the original in a cold room with the lights off alone.I didn't get far...This is one game I certainly will not get...
I played the first one with some really nice noise isolating headphones. I was 15 and OMG I got creeped out... I remember at one point I was leaning back in my office chair with my legs on the desk and some crazy shit happened on screen, I tweaked out and fell backwards! Good times, good times. :p 
June 8, 2010 5:45:17 PM

Quote:
F.E.A.R. 3 is slated to hit the market in Q3 2010... probably a predictable October 31 date since gamers are already spooked up on Halloween.

*cough*that'sfourthquarter*cough*

Third quarter starts on July 1 and ends on Sept. 30
June 8, 2010 5:46:05 PM

HSuke
...And I have yet to see any game top "The Cradle" level in Thief 3.

+1. agreed completely.
June 8, 2010 5:47:11 PM

anamaniacI played the original in a cold room with the lights off alone.

And of course, it came out in October, so it was getting dark early and here in the Pacific Northwest it was already effing cold. So I know how ya feel man. ;) 
June 8, 2010 6:00:45 PM

shin0bi272It looks like a nice story but these early screenshots look like poo

You took the words right out of my mouth... (not to say there was poo in there.) =P
June 8, 2010 7:34:45 PM

HSukeI completely agree. The FF series and Silent Hill easily overtake FEAR, System Shock 2, The Suffering, Doom 3, etc.. The scary moments are too predictably mixed in with the action. And I have yet to see any game top "The Cradle" level in Thief 3.

Try Clive Barker's "Undying". It is at the same level of creepiness and atmosphere as Silent Hill.
June 8, 2010 8:31:24 PM

If you want a really scary game, check out S.T.A.L.K.E.R shadow of Chernobyl

you will be on the edge of your seat wondering how can the quick save and quick load button be used so many times during game play.

You will scare your self when you experience your own feeling of annoyance as you walk through the forest and a enemy shoots you with pinpoint accuracy with a machine gun from like a mile away, and with your quick save fu, you kill him and take the gun and then you find out that you cant hit the broad side of a barn from more than 10 feet away.

You will be in constant fear of the dreaded x-ray engine error in which the game crashes for no reason and for some reason it will happen the one time you forget to save.

You will scare your self with your own anger as you spend a long time on a really long mission only to find out that even though you completed the mission, the game thinks you didn't complete it yet and you have to start the mission all over (hope you did an actual save and not a quick save at the beginning of the mission).
June 8, 2010 9:22:10 PM

I hope it's as good or better than FEAR2. I've played all the fears (though I never finished playing Perseus Mandate). FEAR2 made me curse Alma's name though. After only 10 minutes of playing, I found myself thinking (sometimes even shouting) "FOR F***'s SAKE ALMA!" I just wanted to kill that evil b**** and was really disappointed when I couldn't.
Anonymous
June 8, 2010 9:24:08 PM

HSukeAnd I have yet to see any game top "The Cradle" level in Thief 3.

100% agree. I had to stop playing multiple times on that level. I always play those on the hardest difficulty too so I'm not ramboing through like some of the people who play on easy.
June 8, 2010 9:54:55 PM

I played FEAR in the dark alone... Scared the crap out of me! That little girl... I really get into my games so that is why it probably scared me and not others.
!