Day 1: FEAR 3 Scariest Game Of All Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

xyzionz

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2008
F.E.A.R.1 scared the crap out of me at least I finish it, cause I play at my shop which got a lot of people.
F.E.A.R.2 scared the crap out of me till I can't finish the game cause I moved my office back to my house with not really that much people.
F.E.A.R.3 depends on where I am, or I just watch it on youtube, Haha
But weird enough, I don't think Dead Space and Doom3 scares me cause I finish them a few times might due to I know that those monsters are out in space, and F.E.A.R.'s Alma...She might exist...

Supertrek32

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
Fear 1 wasn't scary at all. I never played it, but all the reviews I've read said fear 2 wasn't as scary as the first. I'm not expecting much from the third.

The penetrator's freaking hilarious, if that counts for anything.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
i'd be surprised if it was scarier than the penumbra series... god damn..

but then again, i have a strong hunch that this is just hype.. it have a feeling it's gonna fall flat on it's face

The_OGS

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
No - it's a pretty good game.
I've just picked up the original F.E.A.R. (3-pack) on Steam, for $9.99 it's a steal.
The game is excellent and yes, quite unsettling... not for the faint of heart!
I probably will pickup F.E.A.R. 2 next.
Coming off something massive like Far Cry 2, I'm enjoying being 'led' through the disquieting story and not having to think too much.
But it's definitely nasty and scary,
Regards

rage machine

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
I don't understand how people can be afraid when playing games that have you looking down the barrel of a gun. Fear, The Suffering, System Shock and others don't even make me jump the slightest. I don't understand why developers think that adding more blood and disturbing looking monsters contributes to actual "fear" in the game.

Through my entire gaming life only two games have made me actually look twice before entering the hallway: Fatal Frame 2 & Penumbra Overture.

phasmantis

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2007
I liked the first FEAR a lot. Closely tied to DOOM in a scare market, DOOM got too predictable. FEAR quickly became scarier, and even the rarely predictable moments would make you hesitant to play. I remember saying, "Please tell me I don't have to walk down this hallway, oh god." Hopefully the game's engine got a relook from the previous titles though. It's hard to tell judging by the screenshots.

I'm not scared by video games very easily, but the first FEAR plus expansions scared the crap out of me (sometime literally). The second one, not so much, but I really hope the third one gets back to what the original was capable of...

HSuke

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2009
[citation][nom]rage machine[/nom]Fear, The Suffering, System Shock and others don't even make me jump the slightest. ... Through my entire gaming life only two games have made me actually look twice before entering the hallway: Fatal Frame 2 & Penumbra Overture.[/citation]

I completely agree. The FF series and Silent Hill easily overtake FEAR, System Shock 2, The Suffering, Doom 3, etc.. The scary moments are too predictably mixed in with the action. And I have yet to see any game top "The Cradle" level in Thief 3.

HSuke

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2009
FEAR3 to be the scariest game? This article is a joke unless FEAR3 somehow leapfrogs over its predecessors.

Tamz_msc

Distinguished
FEAR is a game which would scare you depending on the way you play it.If you are playing it hesitantly, peeking around every corner every now and then, switching on the flashlight in every room you enter and think that something's going to happen the moment you do anything then it gets quite scary.On the other hand if you just ignore the darkness and paly it like an old school run n' gun game you'll not find the slightest hint of scare in it.

sil3nt1

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
Fear 2 didn't scare me one bit.

Doom 3 was pretty scary, with the "jump" scares, and sounds of machinery that sounded like alien hisses. Claustrophobic environments really intensify the rush.

Dead Space was probably the best scare game i have played, ever, at least in the earlier levels. The zero gravity and places where you had limited oxygen really contributed to the adrenaline rush. The first time you get grabbed by that worm monster in the wall and sucked in was really memorable. It gave a feeling of helplessness.

Another thing, the aiming gave me a sense of being really human, it was very complex to aim, and nontraditional compared to a normal fps (note i played the pc version) whether because the aiming wasn't well designed, or made like that on purpose. The delayed reaction times and recoils as well as the slow moving speeds of the character added to the intensity and rush when you were surrounded by all the different types of aliens.

Add all the ways you can kill an alien then add a fairly original story. I cannot wait till deadspace 2. I did try deadspace extraction for the wii but the graphics, and the rails game play really stole the realness out of the first game.

haplo602

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2007
hmm ... let's wait and see ... Fear 1 was quite a nice game, I finished it 2 or 3 times. However it was too predictable in the shooting department (ambushes and traps). The best part was first meeting Fetel, when he smacked the player with a board :)

lashabane

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
[citation][nom]Kparish[/nom]... probably a predictable October 31 date since gamers are already spooked up on Halloween.[/citation]

Actually, we're already planning what our Darlek suit is going to look like.

Promises, promises, easy to make, harder to keep, whats scary to one may be a joke to another!

I remember going to see the Exorcist at the theater the thing that scared me more than the movie, was the guy laughing about 12 seats away from me all the way through the movie, that was disturbing since I personally didn't see anything funny about it.

Playing the Colonial Marine in the Aliens vs Predator series {All of them} has always been a great fear level of intensity to me, but that's probably because those games were based on actual ground breaking SCI-FI horror movies.

So the fear level and expectation was there before you ever played the game the first time, F.E.A.R. the entire franchise is really so, so, on the actual fear level, once you get into the games is just new repetition, so this new fear promise is probably just game hype, pre-sell, customer setup.

Most all of us that have already played the existing F.E.A.R. releases, will play F.E.A.R. 3 out of shear curiosity, to find out if the original character is actually Alma's son anyway.

My 2 cents. Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.