problem with mobo or ps?

dlin

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2004
I can't power up the computer. I opened the case up and tried to put an old OEM video card back in. The memory was loose and fell out, so I put it back in. And found out I had put it in the wrong way (found out after it came loose again). Now when I put everything back together and plug the power cord in, it makes a little electrical noise. Then when I press the power button, the light only comes on for fraction of a second, then it dies. I have no clue whats wrong now.

Did I kill the motherboard? Cause I accidently switched the memory around? I suspected it could be the power supply but im not sure.

endyen

Splendid
Look at the ram. See if it's cracked/ broken at the bottom. You may have gotten lucky and only destroyed that. Chances are good that you killed the mobo, maybe the chip as well. It could be worse, you can destroy every part of your system, with that kind of a spike. The best place to start is with 1 stick of undamaged ram.

dlin

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2004
I could damage the whole system with one stick of ram ?
**** If the mobo is dead. what about the cpu? I cant afford replace all those parts.

dlin

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2004
I just took 1x 64mb stick out. The one i accidently ****** up with. And it still does not power up. Im afraid to buy more ram cause i dont know if it will do anything if the computer cant power up. What should I do now?

Sony Vaio
P4 1.3 ghz
64mb rdram800 cause I ****** the other one
mobo (not sure)

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You might have cooked the 3.3v rail on your power supply or burned a trace on the MB. Take it all apart and look at the MB carefully and smell around it too. Nothing wrong? Put it back together with one stick of ram and see what happens. When installing ram the next time, push it in lightly with your fingers and leave the hammer in the tool box!

Abit IS7 - 2.8C @ 3.4ghz - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power
Samsung 120gb ATA-100 - Maxtor 40gb ATA - 100
Sony DRU-510A - Yellowtail Merlot