Sign in with
Your question

Low FPS In MW2 5970

Last response: in Video Games
June 2, 2010 2:36:23 AM

I get the exact same fps in 1920x1080 as i do in 640x480. can anyone please help me?? It stutters constantly and I am getting 10-15fps

-----------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 6/1/2010, 14:17:09
Machine name: DOUG-PC
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_gdr.100226-1909)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model: GA-MA790X-UD4P
BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X2 550 Processor (2 CPUs), ~3.7GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 4088MB RAM

More about : low fps mw2 5970

June 2, 2010 4:38:57 AM

Turn V-Sync on, if it is off.
m
l
June 2, 2010 10:52:56 AM

I find Fallout 3 to just "not work properly in Windows 7 64". It stutters and churns and eventually crashes, on my Radeon 5850 w. latest drivers etc.

Solution: Dual-boot Windows XP. Fo3 runs @ 60hz with Ultra settings and 8xAA.

I find a dual-boot solution offers me a platform which I can get almost anything to work on!
m
l
Related resources
June 2, 2010 2:56:56 PM

How do I "Dual-boot" I dont have a copy of Windows XP on me and Im not that computer savvy. It shouldnt be like that should it? No matter what operating system I have
m
l
June 2, 2010 4:08:01 PM

johnnyboyv10 said:
How do I "Dual-boot" I dont have a copy of Windows XP on me and Im not that computer savvy. It shouldnt be like that should it? No matter what operating system I have

No it shouldnt have to be like that, but XP has been around for a long time, and generally XP/Dx9 is a bit more stable than these new OS's.
Sad but true!

How to do it - well you either have to partition your HDD (which usually involves a format which will wipe all of your data)
OR
You buy a new HDD and install your copy of XP on the 2nd HDD. All you have to do is install the HDD in your system, access your BIOS*, tell it to boot to your DVD drive, put your Windows XP installation disk in and then follow the simple instructions to install XP onto your new volume(HDD).

Then when you turn on your computer you will be given the option to go to a boot menu, or you may find (depending on which HDD your BIOS boots to automatically) that you are just asked which OS you want to load.

*accessing the BIOS is easy - after your computer has beeped once you have turned it on, or when you see the first loading screen (looks like either a Gigabyte pic in your case, or some DOS style text as your stuff gets loaded, you usually press del, f2 or f8 to enter "setup" or "load BIOS". All BIOS's have a boot tab, where you can change your "primary boot device", thus also choosing which HDD to use (and which OS to load).

And you ARE right, it shouldnt have to be like that, but personally I like to know I have the option to use either system :D 
m
l
June 3, 2010 1:14:56 AM

Is there any websites that might Have a tutorial for this?
m
l
June 3, 2010 4:47:21 AM

johnnyboyv10 said:
Is there any websites that might Have a tutorial for this?

Use this free tools to partition your hard drive.
http://partitionlogic.org.uk/
Go to the "manual" section if you need help in how to do it.

Once you create a new partition, let's call it "D"
Choose to install Windows XP on "Drive D"
m
l
June 3, 2010 8:24:05 AM

Here's a video showing some random dude installing a SATA HDD into a PC with some relaxing classical noises:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tXl4NJdaiU

Heres a video with some more relaxing tunes and a dude showing how to install Windows XP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wf2Ffm33DhA

Another video with some guy with some interesting facial hair showing how to partition a HDD without formatting it, using XP or Vista. Then he installs Windows7 on the partition, but it works for any OS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTFdwWm5F3A
m
l
June 3, 2010 7:48:55 PM

That game works fine in W7. No need to go to extremes. If you tried reinstalling and or repairing and looking for game updates it could be a hardware problem. What else do you have problems with ?
m
l
June 3, 2010 11:57:59 PM

Umm... yeah, any other games that you play?

Tell me the FPS you get on them.

That is NOT normal to be getting 10-15 FPS w/ a 5970. Download MSI Afterburner, or GPU-Z and check to make sure both GPU's are being used during gameplay.

Also, download FurMark and run that for ~10-15 minutes and watch your temperatures.. maybe turn up your fan speed a bit in Afterburner. I wouldn't like it if the temps went over 80C or so. Check to see if both GPU's are being used here and increasing in temp as well.

I have a 5970 as well, and 10-15 FPS in MW2 (although it is a shitty game, and you should burn it in your closest fire) is not normal.
m
l
June 4, 2010 1:15:29 AM

I get 70-9-fps in Dawn of War 2 @ 1980x1080 on max. Also I play battlefield:bad company 2 @ max at about 40-60fps. Dirt 2 runs at about 50fps
m
l
June 4, 2010 1:28:45 AM

Did you check to see if both GPU's are being used?

I have a similar computer as yours, except I have an i7-920 @ 4.1ghz which shouldn't make a HUGE difference in FPS. Maybe it does?

I get 75+ FPS in BC2 w/ everything at max at 1920x1080. Do some of the things I said above, especially FurMark. What brand 5970 is it?

You should be getting more FPS than that. Do you have any source games?
m
l
June 4, 2010 1:59:48 AM

Its a Sapphire 5970..as you can tell in the screenshot..everything seems to be working fine and temps at 45C shouldnt be to bad

m
l
June 4, 2010 3:51:16 AM

So what have you tried so far, and has anything made a difference?

Download the latest drivers, and set your CCC settings back to default.

Before you install the new drivers, un-install the old ones via the control panel and use Driver Sweeper to clear out any remaining ATI files. Restart. Then install the new drivers, restart. And try again.
m
l
June 4, 2010 4:28:40 AM

you didn't list your psu. what brand, model and wattage?

also, your cpu may hold back the 5970 some, but 10-15 fps is seriously wrong.

i have the 5970 with phenom2 quad core and it eats every game alive. dirt2 is always pegged at 60fps since i have vsync turned on.
m
l
June 4, 2010 11:32:06 AM

700w Antec powersupply that came with my Antec Twelve Hundred...it has to be decent for how much the case was
m
l
June 4, 2010 3:27:56 PM

I reset my CCC back to default...nothing...I Have 10.5 drivers...Ive done driver Sweeeper many times before. Could it be just that my processor really sucks? I thought it wasnt that bad..
m
l
June 4, 2010 9:58:22 PM

I'm not sure man, from your system specs you should be getting a lot more FPS than that. Maybe it is just some issue w/ MW2 as you seem to be doing relatively fine in other games.

If you want to know if there are any defects in your CPU and/or RAM then you could run prime95. Burn it onto a CD and boot from it, run it overnight or preferably ~24 hours. If any of the tests fail then you most likely have a RAM/CPU issue.

Other than that I can't really say, a dual-core at 3.7ghz is not too bad at all really. If you really want to fix this you could also just reformat Windows. I presume if you did both of these things you would essentially iron out any issues, and if you STILL get low fps.. get an i7 :D  . Don't know what else to say, maybe someone else can help.
m
l
June 5, 2010 1:15:36 AM

Not sure what your problem is either. I have a 5850 paired with a E8400 O/C'd 3.6 GHZ. And I get around 80 FPS on MW2 @ 1650x1050. Maybe backup and reformat. Which sucks.
m
l
June 5, 2010 6:34:31 PM

700watt power supply. Big deal. How much amperage is it pushing. Bet it isn't enough to run your system efficiently. Having said that.... like I asked above, WHAT ELSE ARE YOU HAVING TROUBLE WITH ?
m
l
June 5, 2010 11:24:22 PM

nothing...everything works great....besides gaming..applications load fast...Photoshop works great...windows boots up in seconds...idk
m
l
June 6, 2010 4:26:19 AM

Find out where you can go to disable W7 from installing drivers for you. Make sure it won't do it.
Go to AMD's site. download the latest drivers. Go into the control panel and uninstall ATI drivers.
Reboot and install drivers that you just downloaded. Reboot.

option B:

Find out where you can go to disable W7 from installing drivers for you. Make sure it won't do it.
Go to AMD's site. download the latest drivers. Go into the control panel and uninstall ATI drivers. Do not reboot. Reinstall drivers you just downloaded. Reboot.

You say the problems only occur in a 3d environment so that's what you need to work on. The card is bad, the drivers aren't right or the card is not getting enough power to run right.

Do you have a different card you can try.. ?...
Do you have a different power supply ?

Another thing to look at would be to see if your memory is running right, dual channel, right voltages, right speed, etc.

Another thing to do is go to Windows Update.
m
l
June 6, 2010 9:54:30 AM

try this, Start, Accessories, Run(right click, run as admin), fsutil behavior query memoryusage, should return a =0, type fsutil behavior set memoryusage 2, reboot the computer see if it helps
m
l
June 6, 2010 1:38:00 PM

Thanks for this post. I'm having terrible performance with MW2 also. I have an XFX 5970 Black Edition. I'm awesome on PS3 version of MW2. Problems are just with multiplayer on IWNet (PC).

I was on the verge of buying an AMD processor to replace my i7 860. I guess I'll keep this system for a while, since AMD systems with a 5970 also have problems. The Steam platform limits fps and doesn't seem to like the 5970.

I've been told that the problem lies with Steam and IWNet, and the many cheaters and hackers. It is not like Punkbuster in that it takes a long time to eventually ban a cheater on IWNet. They don't have admins like on other system servers.

The controvery with Activision and Infinity Ward is just hurting us. Steam Support is not familiar with IWNet, and Activision isn't familiar with Steam and their VAC system. There is no proper customer service from Activision or Steam Support because of this.

I've tried everything and let several others try my syste. None of them were able to do well in MW2. Performance is great in all other online games and everything else but MW2 multiplayer. The max fps we ever get is 87. This doesn't mean anything, as we're always in last place.

Steam is a Hackers Haven on Steam and IWNet. Activision told me the following:

Response (Guillermo Hernandez) 06/03/2010 10:55 AM
"If you are in a session where players are cheating I would recommend leaving immediately as being in this type of game session can cause your data to become damaged or reset, it can also result in a ban.

Using any kind of cheat or cheating software in multiplayer game sessions can lead to being banned from playing.

I am sorry but I do not have information on how the banning system works or how long it takes for a player to get banned."

So we're just out of luck with MW2 with no legitimate help from any of the customer service people.

You'll only do well if you learn to cheat or hack.

I'll never lower myself to do either for a crappy video game like MW2.

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 is a much better game that also uses the DX11 power of the 5970 legally.!!
m
l
June 7, 2010 6:37:49 AM

Driver issue. Download the latest profiles. I had a similar problem and that fixed it.
m
l
June 10, 2010 3:23:42 AM

I downloaded the new 10.5 drivers. Bought a new 900W Rocketfish gaming powersupply. Still same crap fps.
m
l
June 10, 2010 4:20:44 AM

"Thanks for this post. I'm having terrible performance with MW2 also. I have an XFX 5970 Black Edition. I'm awesome on PS3 version of MW2. Problems are just with multiplayer on IWNet (PC)."

then the game servers have issues, overload, or your ISP is laggy
m
l
June 10, 2010 7:44:22 AM

MW2 is ok on windows 7 it works well - Yes if your ISP has problems it will be lots of problems. Its not your set up.
m
l
June 10, 2010 4:32:20 PM

still having problems...any more ideas?
m
l
June 10, 2010 4:57:20 PM

then the game servers have issues, overload, or your ISP is laggy
m
l
June 10, 2010 5:04:39 PM

Im having trouble in the single player portion of the game though..10-15fps isnt right
m
l
June 10, 2010 5:37:48 PM

that is very slow, for sp,at what res and how much eye candy
m
l
June 11, 2010 7:20:26 AM

Dude, buy a 9800GT in the mean-time. You can use that while you RMA your 5970 and can play Torchlight during the down-time or some older games. As an added benefit of getting an Nvidia card (something I would NEVER recommend except for the reason you will see after the parentheses) you can use your 9800GT as a dedicated Physx card once your 5970 comes back for those few games you've always wanted to play with Physx support!
m
l
Anonymous
June 11, 2010 9:43:10 AM

RickyT23 said:
I find Fallout 3 to just "not work properly in Windows 7 64". It stutters and churns and eventually crashes, on my Radeon 5850 w. latest drivers etc.

Solution: Dual-boot Windows XP. Fo3 runs @ 60hz with Ultra settings and 8xAA.

I find a dual-boot solution offers me a platform which I can get almost anything to work on!

With my rig in sig I play fo3 goty at high settings no aa no af at 1280x720 in win 7 64bit and I get 60fps all the time with vsync on

Ive got a crappy 8800gs too
m
l
June 16, 2010 8:53:39 PM

Hmm.. looking at this again stuttering could be a RAM/CPU issue. Before you buy a 9800GT and RMA your 5970. Have you run memtest 86+ or Prime95?

Download Prime95 (http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=205) and run it. WATCH your CPU temps with RealTemp and/or Speedfan. I would run it for at least 10 hours or so. Alternatively, run OCCT for 30 min to 1 hour. IF anything fails, your CPU is to blame.

Download memtest86+, burn it to a CD, and boot from it. Run THIS overnight as well.

It will require some work, but if you don't want to needlessly be running around in the dark looking for an answer do these things and you can iron out your hardware. If this is all OK, then do as I said.. a 9800GT should serve you well for the price-range and work great for Physx.. the card choice is up to you I use a 9800GT for dedicated Physx and works great.

EDIT: Also, run 3DMark Vantage and post your scores... that would tell a lot about the current state of your hardware.
m
l
!