Banned By Epic Games From The Forum

teikyo30

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2010
I bought Unreal Tournament 3 when it came out. Since I got it I have followed all the patches and mods. I have done clean installs several times, I have patches up to 5 (2.1) and the Titan pack. For some reason servers with ctf or vctf never work. The download always fails. Every other server works fine.

So I got pissed last night and emailed Epic. I told them they continue to ignore my help requests and that if they didn't help me with the issue I was having for their game I paid them money for, I would never buy their product again. I then mentioned I would still enjoy them though.

They banned me without helping me. It said reason banned: pirate/cheats, date ban will be lifted: never.

I did not pirate their game. I merely insinuated that if they were okay with taking my money and not helping me with a product they promised would work that I would feel okay in the future for maybe not paying for their product. They had the option to take the high road and do what customer support is supposed to do: help. They chose to ignore numerous emails about the issue then ban me for being a pirate.

So I guess my questions are A) Has anyone had the same game issue as me? and B) Is Epic being fair in ignoring support requests from a paying customer then deciding they'd rather ban me and accuse me of pirating their stuff then to help? I offered to show proof of my purchase, they don't care apparently.

isamuelson

Distinguished
Well, I think you just answered your own question as to why they banned you:

I did not pirate their game. I merely insinuated that if they were okay with taking my money and not helping me with a product they promised would work that I would feel okay in the future for maybe not paying for their product.

If you did indeed "insinuate" that you would do this, then that's reason enough to ban you IMHO.

Also, where is the "promise" it would work on your machine? I've never seen such a statement from any company. They list recommended specs, but that's not a promise it works. Read the license as well (you know, that small print that requires the Hubble telescope to read). I'm pretty sure they say they are not at fault if said software doesn't work or if it results in damages to you or your property or the computer and that the customer assumes all risks.

Sucks, but it is what it is.

teikyo30

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2010
They may have a clause like that, but I don't remember ever agreeing that I wouldn't "borrow" future software from them if they refused to help me with the current paid purchase. So there's that. I like the Hubble thing, though, that fine print is seriously annoying. They need to change the law so they have to say it in 500 words or less.

namelessonez

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
Imo, this amounts to deficiency of services and you may be able to take legal action, should you so wish to consider. At least, where I come from, we can approach the consumer forum to have the issue resolved.

Based on your statements:
1. You purchased a legit copy
2. Legit copies are entitled to customer support
3. Support sought was not given
4. Point being: not just that the game wasn't working (despite being a legit copy) but that the customer support failed to cooperate and banned a consumer straightaway.

Yes, the thing that DOES go against you is your statement reiterated by isamuelson above. So be ready with your apologies on that part! For the rest of it, you should have remedies under law, SHOULD you wish to avail the same.

Not everybody would wanna go in for legal action on such a small issue, but since you asked, here's the answer. These are purely my views.