International

I've been using T-Mobile for several years now. I live in New York
City and the service is bad at best. Limited reception in my home and
office. It appears I'll do better with Verizon. However, I travel to
Europe (mainly England) and my Sony Ericsson T68i transitions
flawlessly.

Is there a combination of Verizon service and handset (any brand) that
will work throughout most of Europe without my having to call local
carriers in Europe or rent a phone when I'm there? Their web site is
not clear. I don't care if I need to purchase the phone separately.

Many thanks in advance.

Sprout

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2004

On 12 Aug 2004 05:48:30 -0700, billz1@msn.com (Bill Z.) wrote:

>I've been using T-Mobile for several years now. I live in New York
>City and the service is bad at best. Limited reception in my home and
>office. It appears I'll do better with Verizon. However, I travel to
>Europe (mainly England) and my Sony Ericsson T68i transitions
>flawlessly.
>
>Is there a combination of Verizon service and handset (any brand) that
>will work throughout most of Europe without my having to call local
>carriers in Europe or rent a phone when I'm there? Their web site is
>not clear. I don't care if I need to purchase the phone separately.
>
>Many thanks in advance.

Bill, you can buy a SIM card for Europe here (and a handset if you
can't get your Sony unlocked).
http://www.mobalrental.com/gsm/handsets.asp

> Is there a combination of Verizon service and handset (any brand) that
> will work throughout most of Europe without my having to call local
> carriers in Europe or rent a phone when I'm there? Their web site is

Verizon uses CDMA and all of Europe uses GSM, so almost (see below) no
phone will be compatible in both places.

You have a few options if you want dual location service with Verizon:
1) Sign up for international traveller (which is renting a Vodafone
phone from Verizon). Very expensive per minute, however your cell
number will forward over.

2) Verizon should release the Samsung SCH-A790 sometime in the future,
the first (I believe) phone that supports both CDMA and GSM. Probably
will be as expensive as International Traveller per minute. SMS will
not work in GSM (europe) mode however.

3) Buy a permanent europe phone (any tri/quad-band unlocked GSM
phone), and buy a prepaid sim card for use whenever you're in europe.
It is the most cost effective option, and is what I do / recommend.

-MVL

>>I've been using T-Mobile for several years now. I live in New York
>>City and the service is bad at best. Limited reception in my home and
>>office. It appears I'll do better with Verizon. However, I travel to
>>Europe (mainly England) and my Sony Ericsson T68i transitions
>>flawlessly.

I had the same predicament. T-Mobile is unusable here in NYC, while
VZW is great. I eneded up keeping both services, VZW for NYC, and
T-Mobile for the rest of the world. (I also use T-Mobile's wifi
service.)

-Joel

Please feed the 35mm lens/digicam databases: http://www.exc.com/photography