Scanning/Faxing through Wireless Print Server

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
a b α HP
October 14, 2004 10:15:00 AM

I want to get myself a Wireless Print server for my HP OfficeJet G85,
but I have a distinctive feeling I will not be able to use the "extra"
funtionality of my all-in-one such as scanning and faxing, that is
done through the HP Director. How could this be done? Does a HP
Wireless Print Server offer these features?

Thanks a lot!
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
a b α HP
October 14, 2004 2:25:59 PM

On 14 Oct 2004 06:15:00 -0700, jdnospam@ntlworld.com (Raider) wrote:

>I want to get myself a Wireless Print server for my HP OfficeJet G85,
>but I have a distinctive feeling I will not be able to use the "extra"
>funtionality of my all-in-one such as scanning and faxing, that is
>done through the HP Director.

It's more than a feeling. It's a warning on most of the add-on
wireless bridges. They only work with simple printers, and not with
multi-malfunction devices.

>How could this be done?

Yes, I know how it "could" be done, but I have no idea if any of huge
number of printers available do it this way. Some printers come with
an ethernet connection, which is inherently bi-directional. Attach a
wireless bridge to the ethernet port on the printer and instant
wireless extension cable.

Another server solution would be a USB server:
http://www.keyspan.com:16080/products/usb/server/

http://www.keyspan.com:16080/products/usb/server/mktgfi...
These are fairly new and I have no experience with them. They claim
support of multi-function printing devices. Attach a wireless bridge
and it might work. You might check the various USB related forums for
clues.

There are several wireless USB extension cables available. I can't
seem to find them in the muddle of 802.11 and Bluetooth devices with
Google. Essentially, they are a wireless "extension cord" for the USB
connector and should work bi-directionally. Here's one that is coming
real soon:
http://www.aircable.net/AIRcable/ComingSoon.html

>Does a HP
>Wireless Print Server offer these features?

I couldn't find any, but that doesn't mean anything. It's an obvious
problem that I'm sure will eventually be addressed. However, HP seems
to be following the "built in" instead of "hang on" approach with
wireless. You may find yourself buying a new printer just to get
wireless. For now, look for something with a built in ethernet print
server (LAN connector) and use a wireless bridge.

>Thanks a lot!

Now, I have a question. *WHY* do you want wireless on a multifunction
device that is inherently "personal" and whos function is intimately
tied into the operating computer? Do you find it more useful to run
across the room every time you want to scan or fax, and then run back
to click "ok" on whatever software is being used to run it? I can see
wireless with a printer, where a number of people might want to share
a single printer, but not a fax or scanner. I could use some
enlightenment here as wireless multifunction seems to be a common
request, but I can't seem to visualize any useful operating
configuration.

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
a b α HP
October 14, 2004 9:44:24 PM

Raider <jdnospam@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> I want to get myself a Wireless Print server for my HP OfficeJet G85,
> but I have a distinctive feeling I will not be able to use the "extra"
> funtionality of my all-in-one such as scanning and faxing, that is
> done through the HP Director. How could this be done? Does a HP
> Wireless Print Server offer these features?

You feeling is probably correct.Printers are simple, the multi-function
printers are more complicated.

<http://www.experts-exchange.com/Hardware/Printers/Q_211...;
Solution Title: Networking an HP OfficeJet G85 to a wireless network

seems like they'll tell you if you pay them. But the answer might be no.

Generally, the threads in this group report no success with wireless
multi-function.

--
---
a b F Wireless

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 17:44:24 +0000 (UTC),
dold@XReXXScann.usenet.us.com wrote:

>Raider <jdnospam@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>> I want to get myself a Wireless Print server for my HP OfficeJet G85,
>> but I have a distinctive feeling I will not be able to use the "extra"
>> funtionality of my all-in-one such as scanning and faxing, that is
>> done through the HP Director. How could this be done? Does a HP
>> Wireless Print Server offer these features?
>
>You feeling is probably correct.Printers are simple, the multi-function
>printers are more complicated.
>
><http://www.experts-exchange.com/Hardware/Printers/Q_211...;
>Solution Title: Networking an HP OfficeJet G85 to a wireless network
>seems like they'll tell you if you pay them. But the answer might be no.

Experts Exchange has a weird format. To read the answers, you have to
scroll past all the advertising junk until you hit the bottom of the
page. That's where the responses are buried. In this case, there
were two resonses. One offered:

yes you can do this.
the g85 is not a gdi printer and is fully compatible with the
majority of jetdirect boxes.
if you want to use this wirelessly, then go for the
jetdirect 380x for 802.11b WLAN or the ew2400 for 802.11g
wlan these are usb connected, and if you need parallel try
the jetdirect wp110
hope this helps.

Let's just say I'm a bit sceptical that a Windoze device monitor,
sitting in the system tray on an XP box, can transparently administer
and monitor a printer through a network connection. The plumbing
(ports and pipes) just aren't there with a USB printer. I also
question recommending a $240 print server for a $300 printer.

Methinks you'll get better answers in the HP support forums:
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/home.do

>Generally, the threads in this group report no success with wireless
>multi-function.

Yep. The JetDirect 380x would be nice if it worked. There is hope.
The data sheet at:

http://h30094.www3.hp.com/product.asp?sku=1950548&jumpi...
shows a substantial list of supported printers. Some of them are
multifunction (OfficeJet D135, 7130, etc). However, the G85 is not
listed. No clue if these printers are "fully supported" or if just
the print function works.

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
a b α HP
October 14, 2004 9:44:26 PM

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 11:59:55 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
<jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us> wrote:

>Yep. The JetDirect 380x would be nice if it worked. There is hope.
>The data sheet at:
>
>http://h30094.www3.hp.com/product.asp?sku=1950548&jumpi...
>shows a substantial list of supported printers. Some of them are
>multifunction (OfficeJet D135, 7130, etc). However, the G85 is not
>listed. No clue if these printers are "fully supported" or if just
>the print function works.

Ahah! I dug around a bit on the HP forums and web pile and finally
excavated a related document:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Docume...
The bottom line is that some work, some don't, some only print.
The OfficeJet G series *DOES* work.

Of the newer HP models that work with print servers, we have:

HP PSC 2500 Photosmart All-in-One series
(built in Ethernet and 802.11b wireless network connections)
HP Officejet 7100 series
HP Officejet D series
HP Officejet G series
HP Officejet K80
HP LaserJet 3200 series all-in-one models
HP LaserJet 3300 series all-in-one models

The next obvious question is whether the print server needs to be an
HP brand, or whether any USB print server will work. No clue.

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
a b α HP
October 14, 2004 9:44:27 PM

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 12:15:53 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
<jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us> wrote:

>http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Docume...
>The bottom line is that some work, some don't, some only print.
>The OfficeJet G series *DOES* work.

Maybe I should read the page before I post some possibly erronious
drivel. The list of "fully functional" printers had a heading of:
"The following all-in-ones are fully network ready although
some of these models may no longer be available:"
which I eventually decoded to mean that they will work if you share
the printer over a network. That implies that the printer has to be
connected to a computah to be shared. HP cleverly muddled this
document to include both sharing a PC attached printer, and using a
print server. The clue is:

"The HP all-in-one products listed below have limited
functionality available over a network by using either
Printer Sharing or by connecting them with an HP Jetdirect
print server that allows USB connection to a printer. Since
full functionality is not possible, HP does not recommend
connecting these products over a network.

The table below shows what functions are available over a network.

Full functionality can be achieved only when the all-in-one
is directly connected to a computer."

At this point, I'm having a VERY difficult time distinguishing between
a PC connected shared printer, and one plugged into a print server due
to the muddle. I also have no clue what they mean by "network ready"
which implies some missing components or options. I'll dig some more
when I have time.

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558
October 15, 2004 12:05:26 AM

<snip>
> Now, I have a question. *WHY* do you want wireless on a multifunction
> device that is inherently "personal" and whos function is intimately
> tied into the operating computer? Do you find it more useful to run
> across the room every time you want to scan or fax, and then run back
> to click "ok" on whatever software is being used to run it? I can see
> wireless with a printer, where a number of people might want to share
> a single printer, but not a fax or scanner. I could use some
> enlightenment here as wireless multifunction seems to be a common
> request, but I can't seem to visualize any useful operating
> configuration.
<snip>
I don't know about "a number of people", but I was thinking it would
be nice to connect some of the new multi-function printers (like the
HP PSC 2410) to a print server so that I could print and fax from more
than one PC on my home network. Sounds like most of the wireless
print servers (SMC, LinkSys, etc.) don't support even *printing* to
these printers due to the bi-directional USB communications. Most of
the newer multi's like the 2410 allow you to use the copier and fax
functions without a PC . . . and saving space is the biggest
attraction of these devices. Those are the main reasons I can think
of, anyway.

--Greg
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
a b α HP
October 15, 2004 12:50:19 AM

> Full functionality can be achieved only when the all-in-one
> is directly connected to a computer."

> At this point, I'm having a VERY difficult time distinguishing between
> a PC connected shared printer, and one plugged into a print server due
> to the muddle. I also have no clue what they mean by "network ready"
> which implies some missing components or options.

Deliberately blending printer-connected-to-computer with a network
connected printer is so disingenuous for HP. They had JetDirect cards so
long ago, you'd think that would be proud to keep the distinction clear.

The other blurb about network ready seems to be this:
Some HP printers won't work shared across a network even if they _are_
directly attached to a sharing computer. The local driver doesn't play
with the network. I forget which model of HP all-in-one I had that was that
way. I could make it print by manually loading a DJ550 driver on my remote
PC, but it wouldn't print using the "proper" driver, even if I manually
loaded it on my PC.

--
---
a b F Wireless

Thanks all for all this very useful info.
!