Scanning/Faxing through Wireless Print Server

I want to get myself a Wireless Print server for my HP OfficeJet G85,
but I have a distinctive feeling I will not be able to use the "extra"
funtionality of my all-in-one such as scanning and faxing, that is
done through the HP Director. How could this be done? Does a HP
Wireless Print Server offer these features?

Thanks a lot!
8 answers Last reply
More about scanning faxing wireless print server

    On 14 Oct 2004 06:15:00 -0700, jdnospam@ntlworld.com (Raider) wrote:

    >I want to get myself a Wireless Print server for my HP OfficeJet G85,
    >but I have a distinctive feeling I will not be able to use the "extra"
    >funtionality of my all-in-one such as scanning and faxing, that is
    >done through the HP Director.

    It's more than a feeling. It's a warning on most of the add-on
    wireless bridges. They only work with simple printers, and not with
    multi-malfunction devices.

    >How could this be done?

    Yes, I know how it "could" be done, but I have no idea if any of huge
    number of printers available do it this way. Some printers come with
    an ethernet connection, which is inherently bi-directional. Attach a
    wireless bridge to the ethernet port on the printer and instant
    wireless extension cable.

    Another server solution would be a USB server:
    http://www.keyspan.com:16080/products/usb/server/

    http://www.keyspan.com:16080/products/usb/server/mktgfiles/US4A_Q&A_NS.pdf
    These are fairly new and I have no experience with them. They claim
    support of multi-function printing devices. Attach a wireless bridge
    and it might work. You might check the various USB related forums for
    clues.

    There are several wireless USB extension cables available. I can't
    seem to find them in the muddle of 802.11 and Bluetooth devices with
    Google. Essentially, they are a wireless "extension cord" for the USB
    connector and should work bi-directionally. Here's one that is coming
    real soon:
    http://www.aircable.net/AIRcable/ComingSoon.html

    >Does a HP
    >Wireless Print Server offer these features?

    I couldn't find any, but that doesn't mean anything. It's an obvious
    problem that I'm sure will eventually be addressed. However, HP seems
    to be following the "built in" instead of "hang on" approach with
    wireless. You may find yourself buying a new printer just to get
    wireless. For now, look for something with a built in ethernet print
    server (LAN connector) and use a wireless bridge.

    >Thanks a lot!

    Now, I have a question. *WHY* do you want wireless on a multifunction
    device that is inherently "personal" and whos function is intimately
    tied into the operating computer? Do you find it more useful to run
    across the room every time you want to scan or fax, and then run back
    to click "ok" on whatever software is being used to run it? I can see
    wireless with a printer, where a number of people might want to share
    a single printer, but not a fax or scanner. I could use some
    enlightenment here as wireless multifunction seems to be a common
    request, but I can't seem to visualize any useful operating
    configuration.

    Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

    Raider <jdnospam@ntlworld.com> wrote:
    > I want to get myself a Wireless Print server for my HP OfficeJet G85,
    > but I have a distinctive feeling I will not be able to use the "extra"
    > funtionality of my all-in-one such as scanning and faxing, that is
    > done through the HP Director. How could this be done? Does a HP
    > Wireless Print Server offer these features?

    You feeling is probably correct.Printers are simple, the multi-function
    printers are more complicated.

    <http://www.experts-exchange.com/Hardware/Printers/Q_21119692.html>
    Solution Title: Networking an HP OfficeJet G85 to a wireless network

    seems like they'll tell you if you pay them. But the answer might be no.

    Generally, the threads in this group report no success with wireless
    multi-function.

    --
    ---

    On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 17:44:24 +0000 (UTC),
    dold@XReXXScann.usenet.us.com wrote:

    >Raider <jdnospam@ntlworld.com> wrote:
    >> I want to get myself a Wireless Print server for my HP OfficeJet G85,
    >> but I have a distinctive feeling I will not be able to use the "extra"
    >> funtionality of my all-in-one such as scanning and faxing, that is
    >> done through the HP Director. How could this be done? Does a HP
    >> Wireless Print Server offer these features?
    >
    >You feeling is probably correct.Printers are simple, the multi-function
    >printers are more complicated.
    >
    ><http://www.experts-exchange.com/Hardware/Printers/Q_21119692.html>
    >Solution Title: Networking an HP OfficeJet G85 to a wireless network
    >seems like they'll tell you if you pay them. But the answer might be no.

    Experts Exchange has a weird format. To read the answers, you have to
    scroll past all the advertising junk until you hit the bottom of the
    page. That's where the responses are buried. In this case, there
    were two resonses. One offered:

    yes you can do this.
    the g85 is not a gdi printer and is fully compatible with the
    majority of jetdirect boxes.
    if you want to use this wirelessly, then go for the
    jetdirect 380x for 802.11b WLAN or the ew2400 for 802.11g
    wlan these are usb connected, and if you need parallel try
    the jetdirect wp110
    hope this helps.

    Let's just say I'm a bit sceptical that a Windoze device monitor,
    sitting in the system tray on an XP box, can transparently administer
    and monitor a printer through a network connection. The plumbing
    (ports and pipes) just aren't there with a USB printer. I also
    question recommending a $240 print server for a $300 printer.

    Methinks you'll get better answers in the HP support forums:
    http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/home.do

    >Generally, the threads in this group report no success with wireless
    >multi-function.

    Yep. The JetDirect 380x would be nice if it worked. There is hope.
    The data sheet at:

    http://h30094.www3.hp.com/product.asp?sku=1950548&jumpid=oc_R1002_USENC-001_HP%20Jetdirect%20380x%20802.11b%20Wireless%20Print%20Server
    shows a substantial list of supported printers. Some of them are
    multifunction (OfficeJet D135, 7130, etc). However, the G85 is not
    listed. No clue if these printers are "fully supported" or if just
    the print function works.

    Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

    On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 11:59:55 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
    <jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us> wrote:

    >Yep. The JetDirect 380x would be nice if it worked. There is hope.
    >The data sheet at:
    >
    >http://h30094.www3.hp.com/product.asp?sku=1950548&jumpid=oc_R1002_USENC-001_HP%20Jetdirect%20380x%20802.11b%20Wireless%20Print%20Server
    >shows a substantial list of supported printers. Some of them are
    >multifunction (OfficeJet D135, 7130, etc). However, the G85 is not
    >listed. No clue if these printers are "fully supported" or if just
    >the print function works.

    Ahah! I dug around a bit on the HP forums and web pile and finally
    excavated a related document:

    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?locale=en_US&taskId=115&prodSeriesId=79476&prodTypeId=18972&objectID=bpu04830#N1044E
    The bottom line is that some work, some don't, some only print.
    The OfficeJet G series *DOES* work.

    Of the newer HP models that work with print servers, we have:

    HP PSC 2500 Photosmart All-in-One series
    (built in Ethernet and 802.11b wireless network connections)
    HP Officejet 7100 series
    HP Officejet D series
    HP Officejet G series
    HP Officejet K80
    HP LaserJet 3200 series all-in-one models
    HP LaserJet 3300 series all-in-one models

    The next obvious question is whether the print server needs to be an
    HP brand, or whether any USB print server will work. No clue.

    Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

    On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 12:15:53 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
    <jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us> wrote:

    >http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?locale=en_US&taskId=115&prodSeriesId=79476&prodTypeId=18972&objectID=bpu04830#N1044E
    >The bottom line is that some work, some don't, some only print.
    >The OfficeJet G series *DOES* work.

    Maybe I should read the page before I post some possibly erronious
    drivel. The list of "fully functional" printers had a heading of:
    "The following all-in-ones are fully network ready although
    some of these models may no longer be available:"
    which I eventually decoded to mean that they will work if you share
    the printer over a network. That implies that the printer has to be
    connected to a computah to be shared. HP cleverly muddled this
    document to include both sharing a PC attached printer, and using a
    print server. The clue is:

    "The HP all-in-one products listed below have limited
    functionality available over a network by using either
    Printer Sharing or by connecting them with an HP Jetdirect
    print server that allows USB connection to a printer. Since
    full functionality is not possible, HP does not recommend
    connecting these products over a network.

    The table below shows what functions are available over a network.

    Full functionality can be achieved only when the all-in-one
    is directly connected to a computer."

    At this point, I'm having a VERY difficult time distinguishing between
    a PC connected shared printer, and one plugged into a print server due
    to the muddle. I also have no clue what they mean by "network ready"
    which implies some missing components or options. I'll dig some more
    when I have time.

    Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

    <snip>
    > Now, I have a question. *WHY* do you want wireless on a multifunction
    > device that is inherently "personal" and whos function is intimately
    > tied into the operating computer? Do you find it more useful to run
    > across the room every time you want to scan or fax, and then run back
    > to click "ok" on whatever software is being used to run it? I can see
    > wireless with a printer, where a number of people might want to share
    > a single printer, but not a fax or scanner. I could use some
    > enlightenment here as wireless multifunction seems to be a common
    > request, but I can't seem to visualize any useful operating
    > configuration.
    <snip>
    I don't know about "a number of people", but I was thinking it would
    be nice to connect some of the new multi-function printers (like the
    HP PSC 2410) to a print server so that I could print and fax from more
    than one PC on my home network. Sounds like most of the wireless
    print servers (SMC, LinkSys, etc.) don't support even *printing* to
    these printers due to the bi-directional USB communications. Most of
    the newer multi's like the 2410 allow you to use the copier and fax
    functions without a PC . . . and saving space is the biggest
    attraction of these devices. Those are the main reasons I can think
    of, anyway.

    --Greg

    > Full functionality can be achieved only when the all-in-one
    > is directly connected to a computer."

    > At this point, I'm having a VERY difficult time distinguishing between
    > a PC connected shared printer, and one plugged into a print server due
    > to the muddle. I also have no clue what they mean by "network ready"
    > which implies some missing components or options.

    Deliberately blending printer-connected-to-computer with a network
    connected printer is so disingenuous for HP. They had JetDirect cards so
    long ago, you'd think that would be proud to keep the distinction clear.

    The other blurb about network ready seems to be this:
    Some HP printers won't work shared across a network even if they _are_
    directly attached to a sharing computer. The local driver doesn't play
    with the network. I forget which model of HP all-in-one I had that was that
    way. I could make it print by manually loading a DJ550 driver on my remote
    PC, but it wouldn't print using the "proper" driver, even if I manually
    loaded it on my PC.

    --
    ---

    Thanks all for all this very useful info.

Wireless Hewlett Packard Servers Wireless Networking