Sign in with
Your question

BF2 and RA3 ctd, but not COD4

Last response: in Video Games
June 3, 2010 2:03:44 AM

I just built my first computer and all seems great except this odd issue: BattleField 2 locks as soon as a mission starts (more to the point, once a guy starts talking, something like "Hey Wyatt, you missed a spot"). The sound becomes mainly static and crackling, screen goes black, and ctd. Red Alert 3 is similar, in that it is static all the time, but plays a skirmish 1-15 minutes before ctd. I've noticed on it, if an enemy aircraft bombs me, it always crashes then.

Oddly, COD4 plays fine for hours.

I am using an ASUS M4A79XTD EVO, using the onboard sound. I have updated the VIA drivers.

The games crash in the EXACT same spots using the HDMI out of the graphics card.

As another alternative, I bought a SIIG 5.1 audio card, installed and updated drivers, and disabled onboard via bios. Again, games crash in same spots.

Any ideas if this is a sound issue, video card issue, OS, etc? I have no idea what to try next, but welcome all suggestions.

Specs (nothing is oc'd):
CPU: X2 555 BE, unlocked to X4
GPU: Powercolor 4850 1GB
PSU: OCZ Fatal1ty 550W
RAM: 4gb Kingston HyperX

Thanks for any ideas!

More about : bf2 ra3 ctd cod4

June 3, 2010 10:59:26 AM

I have to ask: Are the games legal and patched to the latest version?
June 3, 2010 5:10:17 PM

Good question. Yes to both: I bought them both at Target. Matter of fact, the Red Alert 3 was one of the games missing the last character of the key. I had to try 15 or so times before I got the right one!

I have patched both games. I even tried Red Alert w/out the patches, but had the same crash.

I am unsure if this is audio, video, or a 64-bit issue.
!