Foxconn Workers Getting Another Raise Up to 66%

Status
Not open for further replies.

sseyler

Distinguished
May 14, 2008
[citation][nom]nforce4max[/nom]To little to late for the 9 people who had nothing to lose just this year alone. The price of greed is human life.[/citation]

"Too little, too late." Also, when you say "too late," you fail to acknowledge all of the other workers who would otherwise still be getting the same wages. Yes, it's a shame that working conditions are awful there. Nevertheless, this is a start in the right direction.

sseyler

Distinguished
May 14, 2008
[citation][nom]sseyler[/nom]"Too little, too late." Also, when you say "too late," you fail to acknowledge all of the other workers who would otherwise still be getting the same wages. Yes, it's a shame that working conditions are awful there. Nevertheless, this is a start in the right direction.[/citation]

My intent was to say: "you fail to acknowledge all of the other workers who would otherwise still be getting the same wages that drove 9 others to their death."

christopherknapp

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
It is our fault that this is happening anyways. We have no issue with wanting and purchasing cheap computer components or electronic devices ... but yet when people start killing themselves ... we all go "that's so sad ... oh well back to my Farmville."

Sometimes I wonder what it would be like if they were the ones making a $100,000 a year and we were the ones killing ourselves over working conditions here.

ricardok

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
What does a wage helps? People are complaining that they can't talk, they can't have any kind of relations to it's coworkers, this is what they are complaining about, nothing else..

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
So, lets say Foxconn employees continue their suicidal trend... Would that prompt Foxconn to do this again, or take some other measures... Bumping up pay per suicide is a dangerous precedent...

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
Look, to all of you who are pointing to 'greed' as the end all of quality of life, the fact is, China is kind of new to all this "worker productivity"/OSHA type stuff... The fact that a company in a communist regime is even acknowledging this as a problem is encouraging... This could slowly help to prompt change in China. The US had horrible working conditions, without workers' rights in almost all industries from mining to manufacturing to brokering until as late as the 1930's in some cases even the 1970's (grain elevator worker safety regulations, for example).
Give them time. I see this whole situation as a possible positive shift for the biggest country in the world...

G

Hopefully Chinese companies will do the same and not just pressure non-Chinese companies to give pay raises while they do nothing in order to try to gain a competitive pricing advantage.

shoelessinsight

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2009
While this is a small improvement, it doesn't address what seems to be the real issue. In the interviews with Foxconn employees, low wages didn't seem to be a commonly mentioned complaint. Instead, the employees emphasized long shifts and lack of social climate on the job as their primary concerns. It was stress, exhaustion, and loneliness that was causing employees to kill themselves before, and higher wages will do little to alleviate those factors.

It doesn't matter how much people get paid if they never have time away from work to spend that money.

thepinkpanther

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2004
i think the main problems would be that their working 12 hours a day, 6 days a week, are not allowed to talk to others and they barely get to go to bathrooms.

dEAne

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
Because of money you could make a man walk barefoot into hell. Foxconn should address other important issues not just that and they should do it now.

vicsrealms

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2007
Hmm, this makes me happy that I'm not a fan of Foxconn motherboards. As well as thankful, that I don't hear this from Gigabyte or MSI my other two motherboard companies. Plus, Asus who I have had a great streak with laptops.

vicsrealms

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2007
Hmm, this makes me happy that I'm not a fan of Foxconn motherboards. As well as thankful, that I don't hear this from Gigabyte or MSI my other two motherboard companies. Plus, Asus who I have had a great streak with laptops.

G

Foxconn is evil. Now, they just hope to give some peanuts and hope the people will keep quiet. The main problem is WORKING CONDITION. They should IMPROVE WORKING CONDITION AND GIVE A PAY RAISE. 8 hours a day. 1 hour lunch. And basically, don't run it like a Nazi camp.

mrubermonkey

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
Wow $293 per month. I think I just eat and drink that much consumables per month. Maybe if they save up for two months they can afford a PlayStation 3 and a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.