Games (and sometimes other things) randomly slowing down a lot.

G

(Hope this is in the nearest to correct category) Greetings. My problem is that when playing games (with graphics lowest) my laptop seems to run them fine (about 50FPS), then they suddenly slow down to about 8FPS. Needless to say this makes them virtually impossible to play. Sometimes they will speed up again in a couple of minutes, sometimes they don't and I just exit because I can't put up with it. I have also had a simular (although perhaps not identical) problem when I was playing a FLASH game and watching a video, the game and the video both slowed down in a simular fashion. I've got a full virus scan on shedule with Avast! and nothing has shown up. Thanks for your help.

My laptop is an Acer Aspire 5536G running a 32-bit Windows 7.

RAM: 3.12GB usable
Processor: AMD Turion X2 Dual-Core Mobile RM-74 2.20 GHz
Video card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4500 series.
I'm in the process of defragmenting my HDD, but it's only 8% fragmented.

PS: Please do not lecture me on the fact that laptops suck for gaming, I can't have a desktop due to my constant moving about.

number13

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
try this, Start, Accessories, Run(right click, run as admin), fsutil behavior query memoryusage, should return a =0, type fsutil behavior set memoryusage 2, reboot the computer let us know if it helps

G

Thanks for your reply and sorry for my late one, I'll try this now and tell you the result, thanks a lot for the reply!

tkrl26

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
Also something to look into, often times there are two settings in the BIOS that can cause this to happen. Basically they will throttle the CPU back under certain conditions. I use Intel chips, so they are labeled different, but do the same thing.

So I would jump into the BIOS and look for these settings (CoolnQuiet & PowerNow!), disable them, buy a chill pad for 20-30 bucks (you will need it), and this might stop the issue in its tracks...

Just googled for the names:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cool%27n%27Quiet
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PowerNow!

G

Hello!
I'm afraid to say your first suggestion did not resolve the problem. However, I believe that it's a little less slow when it does lag, but the point is that it still lags so bad that I can't play games/watch videos etc.

Thank you so much for your suggestions, I've just ordered a cool pad off Amazon and I'll try looking into this solution =)

I'll update this thread when i recieve it and tell you how it goes.

Many thanks =)

TRENDING THREADS