Which motherboard for socket 939

Tchami

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2004
I'm upgrading my computer and buying an Athlon 64 3500+ CPU and a nVidia 6800 GT graphics card. However, I am unsure as to what motherboard to choose. I'm thinking of either Asus A8V Rev 2.0 or MSI NEO2 PLAT.

I've read a MSI Neo2 review which praised it but I've also heard a lot of mixed opinions about this motherboard. As far as I've heard Asus makes good motherboards as well, but the Asus motherboard I've looked at is using an VIA chip and since I'm buying a nVidia graphics card I thought a motherboard based on a nVidia chip (Which the MSI Neo2 is) would go well together with the graphics card.

Can anyone enlighten me to what I should chose to buy and why?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Just to get you looking around more, I've heard Epox and Gigabyte mentioned. Both companies have served me well, but I know a guy who's had problems with Gigabyte in the past.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

El_Jefe_77

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2004
THG just tested today. Supposedly the VIA chipset won on almost all levels by a slight amount. maybe that nvidia previous info we read was a fluke.

as i said in a nother post before, the VIA chipset is much more mature and offers cool and quiet on the MSI board, and im a freak on silent computering so that makes it the only board to get.

consider it this way: your system is going to blow the doors off anyone's you will ever meet. the difference in framerate will not be noticable, so just get the board that has the best stuff for you.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
VIA doesn't care about the end user. They know if they screw you once you'll come back for more. Every time you'll say "Oh, but this time they're good". And sometimes that works, other times it doesn't. But VIA has cost me too much money in support issues.

nVidia cares about their customers. They're convinced that if they do everything they can to keep you happy, eventually you'll quit buying from their competitors. Of course you're out to proove them wrong.

As for THG, I bought a board a few years back on their recommendation. Then I bought the best video card, again on their recommendation. And I found out the two wouldn't work together. It took 2 years for VIA to fix all the issues that made those two parts incompatable.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
Get MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum

------------
<A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86" target="_new">My Website</A>

<A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/myrig.html" target="_new">My Rig</A> & <A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/benchmark.html" target="_new">3DMark score</A>