What is better the ps3 or the 360 all my frineds say the 360 is better that a ps

Status
Not open for further replies.

ulysses35

Distinguished
Both have better points over the other in different catagories

Xbox 360 has a bigger games catalogue - though this is partially due to the longer period of time the mahcine has been on the market

Xbox 360 has more hardware failure rates (RROD)

Xbox 360 requires a subscription to play on line games

PS3 has a blue ray driver as standard

PS3 has wi-fi as standard

PS3 online gaming is free

PS3 HDD is easy and cheaper to upgrade

============================================
the big issues most people have is what games play best on what platform. Same games do look better on one console that the other, but its swings and roundabouts really. Both platforms have "exclusive" games....

If you have more friends with a Ps3 or Xbox and want to game with them the choice will be swayed in that direction.

I have had a lot of hands on gaming with the xbox, but I myself went for the PS3 and cant see any reason to change that.... others will be the opposite.

No clear winner really

SevenVirtues

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
I have both. I prefer the controller of the Xbox, but you need to buy everything separate, HDD, WiFi, Internet subscription etc.

The PS3 does everything right out of the box and even plays blu-ray (which after seeing you will never want to watch a DVD again.

Like the other guy said, both are better for different things.
Can you afford to buy all the add-ons for the Xbox?
Do you want to play with your friend and if so what console do they have?
Do you want a blu-ray player?

At the end of the day, the PS3 has much more in terms of unique games then the 360 does. Really, aside from Halo3 and Halo: Reach [both sub-par FPS titles], the 360 is looking kinda bare right now. Anything you can get on the 360, you can get on a PS3 or PC.

I have both machines and both are dead due to way too many hours of use. The xbox has the red ring for the 3rd time and my PS3 1st gen just got the yelow light (ylod) so if you want your hardware to last make sure its the new slim PS3, it has been tested in 90F ambient for over 10 hours and it ceases to fail. Its an amazing machine for 299.99 and the best part is not even the games, its the fact that you can swap hard-drives in less than 5 min and you get to chose what drive you want. MS charges you an arm and a leg for a measly 250Gb.

Now, if you are more inclined to play exclusive xbox titles then you already know what to get. If I were you I would wait a year to 16 months and you will have 2 new consoles to choose from, with new GPU's... You can say bye bye to those crappy 7800 chips...

N.Broekhuijsen

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
I have used both consoles, and never owned any, and I have to say my preference goes to the PS3.

It is better from a hardware perspective, (wifi, HDD, Blu-Ray etc), free online multiplayer, overall more beautiful game selection (games with nice storyline (metal gear), not only the pure carnage that the xbox community favors, of course those games are also available for PS3)

Build quality etc.

The only advantage the xbox 360 has is the big community (which is just filled with those kids who only sware at eachother and all nonsense) it's a garbage community, and.... well really that's about it, unless you consider that it breaks down a good thing because it makes you have to leave the house to get it fixed, where leaving your house is the good thing.

in the end though, I will never buy a console, I don't find them hardcore enough, pretty enough graphics, etc. True hardcore gaming, and for moddability, PC wins all categories.

If you haven't bought anything yet I would opt for a PC rig, and if not a PS3.

Your friends are all biased since most people only have an xbox, and so it is best because they have it. no logic involved. don't fall in that vicious cycle

robin banks uk

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010

/\
|
|

you said it for me :)

ulysses35

Distinguished

your statement is true in some regards but lacking in clarity - Yes PC versions of games are often better, especially in the visuals department.

However look at the cost comparisson between a half decent gaming PC and a console. Then take into acount crap like driver / hardware requirements.

Put a disc in a console and it plays the same for everyone that ownes a PS3 or Xbox. Pc games are easier to pirate and HAVE to be coded to take into account several different generatiosn of CPU / GPU - and the higher the spec the better the results - assumin you can afford a £300 GPU everytime a new game comes out that needs better features.

PC gaming is dying like it or not, consoles offer a quicker cheaper way to get online gaming to the masses.

robin banks uk

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010

kashifme21 wrote :

PC is the ultimate gaming machine.

it says nothing about price :)

jamus34

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2002
I have both (technically all three now that I built my new rig) and in all honesty the 360 gets more of my gameplay hours (plus the native Netflix watch it now support is nice too) where as all my disc-based movie watching goes through the PS3. I usually buy games that are on both systems for the 360 unless there is a significant reason to go PS3 (ie FFXIII I got for the PS3).

and people say that the 360 does not have a lot of exclusives but you have to consider MS as a PC company...even though a game might be out for both system (such as Mass effect series) up until I built my rig this month if I could run it on my old box it wouldn't have looked 1/2 as good as on the Box.

In all honesty the only PS3 exclusive that I have and am looking forward to the sequal to is Infamous.

alexdwsn12

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010
Of course x360. It is the best compare to any other console. It contains very excellent features and functionalities so there is no problem regarding any game. I use x360 and works very well.

N.Broekhuijsen

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
That is not a very good argument. Im sorry.

a simple statement like:

My pc can do more than your xbox can!

already wins

nuke123

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
For me im a 360 owner i wish i had got a ps3. the failure rate on 360s are unbelievable ive been through 3 consoles with rrod and even a few single red lights. However they say the new xbox 350 slim whenever that comes out is meant to be rrod free
signature_smiley6.jpg
. So maybe 360s unreliabilty will be taken out of the 360vs ps3 argument.

N.Broekhuijsen

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009

It's only RROD free because it physically does not have any red LEDs. Chances are it will just be a Green Ring of Death now :pt1cable:
lets just hope....

Whiteraven

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
i would have to say the 360 is better it has alot more gaming choice and plus the new kenetic is coming out for it making game play more interative and microsoft are going to make the internet free for xbox aswell of course you have to get a subscription to play on line but its 1 pound for a gold membership for a month so its 12 pound a year to play online which is a pretty good point aswell

sidran32

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
I have less experience with the PS3 but I do have some. There is a lot of give and take. They are near equal, and the only real difference is what you value in terms of game exclusives and your feature set priorities, as well as controller style.

Firstly, it depends on if you will be socially gaming with your friends. If you will be playing online (or split screen) with your friends and sharing games and content, then you probably would do best to consider this first. Though I have a long-time love for Playstation, this was the main reason I got an XBox 360. All my friends got it first, and we play online with each other all the time. Co-operative play online as well as voice and text chat on the XBox 360 is a great way to play, in my opinion.

Second, what kinds of games do you want to play? There are some exclusives to the PS3 as well as to the XBox 360, but most games these days play on both platforms, and there is little difference between the two. You won't get a huge noticeable drawback or improvement (graphically) for most games depending on which system you are playing it on. But if you feel like you're more likely to enjoy PS3 exclusives, go for PS3. If you want to play XBox 360 exclusives, go with XBox 360.

If neither of these have made your decision, then what is your play style? Do you want to play online a lot or offline? Arguably, the XBox 360 has superior online gameplay simply because the interface and XBox Live system is well integrated into gaming. The community on the XBox 360 is also arguably much more rich. Playstation's, however, while it may not be as polished, allows for free online gameplay, while XBox 360 requires a $50/yr subscription. However, Playstation Network is going to have a subscription tier which matches the XBox Live Gold service, so other than online gameplay, you'll get the same thing for similar pricing on each.

The controller scheme would be the last thing I'd consider. The Playstation's controller has largely remained unchanged (ergonomically) since the original DualShock. The layout is great and works wonderfully, except for first person shooters. I find the XBox 360's controller (with the left joystick above the d-pad) more ergonomical for extended use of the joystick. However, for RPGs and fighting games, and other games that use the d-pad extensively, I find the DualShock design to be superior.

If you do want to watch Bluray movies, then a PS3 will do that. XBox 360 only has DVD support (via its DVD-9 drive). However, you can also purchase a standalone Bluray player if you have decided on the XBox 360 over the PS3 already. For me, it's a nice bonus. I already have a 360 so I'd probably get a PS3 for Bluray and get a gaming system out of the deal. But if you only want one gaming system, then this is a potential cost-saving measure for you. If a standalone Bluray player is adequate for you, then you can go that route. If you already have a Bluray player, there's little reason to buy a PS3 for one. The only game that was hampered by the lack of a Bluray drive on the XBox 360 was Final Fantasy XIII, where the videos had to be compressed more to fit on 3 DVDs as opposed to a single Bluray disc.

Reliability is moot at this point. XBox 360 has not been plagued by the systemic heat-related failures leading to RROD since they revised the original motherboard about 3-4 years ago. Wifi is integrated into both (applicable only to the XBox 360 S, the Original XBox 360 requires an external wifi adapter), however the PS3 only has 802.11g while the XBox 360 S has 802.11n, which is faster. CPU and GPU specs aren't as important as they are very close. They balance each other out, anyway. The PS3's Cell processor is better performing than the XBox 360's CPU, but the XBox 360's GPU is more powerful than the PS3's. The XBox 360 S comes with an internal 250 GB hard drive which you probably won't end up upgrading (unless they come out with a 500 GB). The PS3 allows for 3rd party upgrades to the hard drive but I don't know if you may find that useful or not.

Ultimately, they are pretty even, and it all comes down to what you want to do, and who you want to game with.

G

I used to play PS3 a lot and used to think it was the best type of platform to have until recently I got myself a nice PC gaming rig and PC abosolutely dominates both Xbox and PS3 however PC's cost a lot more so you really get what you pay for. In my opionion to choose between the Xbox 360 and the PS3 I would rather the PS3 because the hardware specs are a lot better and plus it's got more choice in what games you want but really it depends on what you feel like getting whether it be games, how friends you have and whether you care about what features both these consoles have.

ScoobyJooby-Jew

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
I like shooters on the xbox. The xbox controller seems a better feel. However, I like the ps3 more overall. Free online. Built in wi-fi. The new xbox has that, but if your stuck with an older one, its 100 bux for the adapter. Although i have heard a rumour that if you have the old wireless adapter for the original xbox, you can use that. I have not verified this.
Xbox has Halo and Gears. ps3 has G-d of War and MGS4. New halo out soon. Crazy awesome MGS/Raiden Super ninja kill everything with badass cybersword, coming out eventually

Status
Not open for further replies.