Forcing Windows 2000 to assign different IRQ

Al3x1s

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2004
I own an Abit NF-7s ver 2.0 and i am quite happy with it except for a little problem.. When i install Windows 2000 it will automatically assigne IRQ 20 to the integrated network controller, the integrated sound card, and finally the usb controller!!

This leads to some interesting problems... for example
transfers to a USB Memory will often lead with an I/O error. Recently after plugging in a USB optical mouse i could also hear the refresh rate of the mouse in my hearphones...(or at least thats what i think it is, pitch varies depending if i move the mouse or not).

Now knowing that one cannot change the IRQ assigned to a hardware device after it has been installed in either Windows 2000 or XP; i reinstalled windows 2000 deactivated some of the devices hoping that if i install them at a further date windows will assign them a different IRQ... my logic is probably flawd anyways but could not think of anything else :p It didnt solve the problem.. and after adding a PCI IDE controller i now have IRQ sharing between the onboard SiliconImage controller the the PCI Promise controller....

So how can i inluence the way Windows assigns the IRQ to the devices it detects?

Thanks for any help

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
well to do that you have to disable whats known as ACPI. It;s not usually recommended.

<A HREF="http://is-it-true.org/nt/nt2000/atips/atips58.shtml" target="_new">here</A> is some more info on ACPI

<pre> \|/
jlanka (. .)
___________oOOo_(_(_)_)_oOOo___________
</pre><p>

Another option<
Go into the bios at boot and look for plug and play options.

Look for an option called "Plug and Play Aware OS" set this option to "NO".Save and exit. This will delay boot a few seconds but will force the motherboard to assign resources to your devices.

Also turn off any unused Serial Ports, Parallel port(printer)Game ports, etc that you do not use. This frees up resources and IRQs.

I aint signing nothing!!!