Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Lan boot

Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
December 20, 2004 7:40:33 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

Hi, I have a "hp 9000 d-class" and I have install a Debian but the
cdrom drive is broken, I can install from lan? How to?

Thanks

Sorry for my bad English.

More about : lan boot

Anonymous
a b α HP
December 20, 2004 5:02:04 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

Why not replace the CD-ROM drive? I would assume that the 9000 D-class
computers, being older, used off-the-shelf SCSI CD-ROM drives.

.... Ben Myers

On 20 Dec 2004 04:40:33 -0800, sttraping@yahoo.es (juan) wrote:

>Hi, I have a "hp 9000 d-class" and I have install a Debian but the
>cdrom drive is broken, I can install from lan? How to?
>
>Thanks
>
>Sorry for my bad English.
Anonymous
a b α HP
December 20, 2004 5:33:56 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

juan wrote:

> Hi, I have a "hp 9000 d-class" and I have install a Debian but the
> cdrom drive is broken, I can install from lan? How to?

In short:
- Put the net-install image on a tftp-server
- configure bootp (see your dhcp-server) that the machine should boot the image


More (way more) details are at http://parisc-linux.org/, there in the faq. or
the other links at the pa-porting page at debian: http://www.debian.org/ports/hppa/

I used an other linux box, my /etc/dhcpd.conf file:
====
subnet 10.11.12.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
# The next options from the real dhcp server
option routers 10.11.12.13;
option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
option broadcast-address 10.11.12.255;
option nis-domain "my.domain";
option domain-name "my.domain";
option domain-name-servers 10.11.12.13;
option ntp-servers 10.11.12.13;

host hpbox.my.domain {
# mac-address of your machine here
hardware ethernet 08:00:09:mm:aa:cc;
fixed-address 10.11.12.55;
# The tftp path, not the local path.
filename
"/debian.parisc/dists/woody/main/disks-hppa/3.0.23-2002-05-21/lifimage";
}
}

====



CBee
Related resources
Anonymous
a b α HP
December 23, 2004 1:36:31 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

Ben Myers wrote:

> Why not replace the CD-ROM drive? I would assume that the 9000 D-class
> computers, being older, used off-the-shelf SCSI CD-ROM drives.

Of the shelf CDRom players are ide-s, even in current high-end servers, where
D-class does not have IDE.

CDRoms for PARisc architectures (at least the older like D-class) need to have
the other blocksize than the CDRoms default

Hence, donnot expect to find off the shelf scsi cdrom drives out there

On the other hand, many D-class systems are now replaced by current servers and
can be found for cheap, even for free. At least, that's how I got mine. Just
look/ask around and see what you can find.


>
> ... Ben Myers
>
> On 20 Dec 2004 04:40:33 -0800, sttraping@yahoo.es (juan) wrote:
>
>
>>Hi, I have a "hp 9000 d-class" and I have install a Debian but the
>>cdrom drive is broken, I can install from lan? How to?
>>
>>Thanks
>>
>>Sorry for my bad English.
>
>
Anonymous
a b α HP
December 23, 2004 5:37:06 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

Toshiba, Ricoh, and Plextor made (maybe still make) off-the-shelf SCSI CD-ROM
drives and CD burners. Yes, SCSI CD-ROM drives are not popular. And, yes,
IDE/ATAPI drives account for 99% of all CD-ROM drives built today. But the SCSI
CD-ROMs are every bit as off-the-shelf and generic as the IDE drives.

The only difference among SCSI CD-ROM drives is the presence or absence of a
block size jumper (is it 2048 vs. the 512 byte block?).

The other potential fly-in-the-ointment with using just any SCSI CD-ROM drive is
the presence or absence of vendor-specific firmware. For example, DEC was
notorious for twisting the arms of its various SCSI device manufacturers. As a
result, a DEC-branded SCSI device would have firmware enabling the host
proprietary (Alpha, VAX, PDP) system to verify that the device was a DEC device.
I still have a couple of Toshiba-made SCSI 12x CD-ROM drives here. When a
Wintel computer SCSI adapter detects them, the adapter shows the drive
manufacturer as DEC rather than Toshiba. The SCSI standard includes a
hard-coded (in firmware) device identification block containing info about the
device manufacturer, model, type, and other characteristics.

If you can identify the manufacturer and model of the broken drive, and are
willing to pay for one or more SCSI drives, I can sell you the first drive for
$10, and any additional drive for $5. Add exact cost of shipping, of course.
You'll receive only drives with the large block size jumper. I'd have to
examine the SCSI drives I have here, but I think that Toshiba was the OEM drive
of choice for HP and DEC and others who used the large block size, while Plextor
was (and still is) the drive of choice for high quality, reliability and
workmanship.

No guarantees that any of the SCSI drives will work because of the
aforementioned possibility that the PA-RISC firmware or software wants to see a
device identifying itself as "HP"... Ben Myers

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 10:36:31 +0100, CBee <I.Dont@want.your.spam> wrote:

>Ben Myers wrote:
>
>> Why not replace the CD-ROM drive? I would assume that the 9000 D-class
>> computers, being older, used off-the-shelf SCSI CD-ROM drives.
>
>Of the shelf CDRom players are ide-s, even in current high-end servers, where
>D-class does not have IDE.
>
>CDRoms for PARisc architectures (at least the older like D-class) need to have
>the other blocksize than the CDRoms default
>
>Hence, donnot expect to find off the shelf scsi cdrom drives out there
>
>On the other hand, many D-class systems are now replaced by current servers and
>can be found for cheap, even for free. At least, that's how I got mine. Just
>look/ask around and see what you can find.
>
>
>>
>> ... Ben Myers
>>
>> On 20 Dec 2004 04:40:33 -0800, sttraping@yahoo.es (juan) wrote:
>>
>>
>>>Hi, I have a "hp 9000 d-class" and I have install a Debian but the
>>>cdrom drive is broken, I can install from lan? How to?
>>>
>>>Thanks
>>>
>>>Sorry for my bad English.
>>
>>
!