Pinpointing an issue causing lag in games

G

Alright so for the last few months I've been having issues with certain games lagging/stuttering sometimes. However, this doesn't happen with all games so I'm not convinced that it's actually an internet issue but maybe a hardware issue (I got a new video card, and power supply). Furthermore, when I do get stuttering in games, my ping is not going up, so it's not a ping spike.

For example, the stuttering occurs in games such as Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2, as well as Project Reality (mod for BF2), but does not happen with IL-2 Sturmovik or Red Orchestra Ostfront.

Although I moved recently (a couple houses down the street), I'm using the exact same kind of internet, speed, and provider. And it's cable hookup not wireless.

Is there some sort of test or program I can run to see what's going on with my internet when the stuttering occurs?

thanks

number13

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
Pc Pitstop has a speed test and ping test for your connection, are all the games that have stuttering problems always when they are on the net? if so it could be the Game Servers, and you can't fix that