ScanJet 6100c reboot

To get my Scanjet 6100c to work at all, I have to turn it on before the
computer boots... in other words leave it on all the time or reboot my PC
any time I need to use it... anyone have an idea as to how to get around
this? Once I get it going it works like a champ, I just wanted to know how
to save the life of the scanner by leaving it off while not needing it and
not having to reboot to use it... after all, reboots are for harware
upgrades.

OS = XP
interface = SCSI
software = DeskScan v2.9
6 answers Last reply
More about scanjet 6100c reboot

    "Alex" <none@none.net> wrote in message
    > To get my Scanjet 6100c to work at all, I have to turn it on before the
    > computer boots... in other words leave it on all the time or reboot my PC
    > any time I need to use it... anyone have an idea as to how to get around
    > this? Once I get it going it works like a champ, I just wanted to know how
    > to save the life of the scanner by leaving it off while not needing it and
    > not having to reboot to use it... after all, reboots are for harware
    > upgrades.
    >
    > OS = XP
    > interface = SCSI
    > software = DeskScan v2.9

    Alex,

    Have you tried this?
    - power on the scanner, wait for it to initialize
    - Right click on my computer and select properties
    - click on the hardware tab
    - select device manager
    - select action then 'scan for hardware changes' (You may need to do this
    twice.)

    Then load the scanner software.

    Works for me with a Scanjet 4C, Win XP, and precision scan software.

    craigm

    > Alex <none@none.net> wrote:

    > To get my Scanjet 6100c to work at all, I have to
    > turn it on before the computer boots...

    I have the same issue on Windows 2000, ScanJet 4c.
    The solution is:
    Turn on the scanner. Wait for self-test to complete.
    Start > Settings > Control Panel
    System [Hardware] [Device Manager]
    <Select> SCSI and RAID controllers
    <right-click> Scan for hardware changes

    (anybody got a shortcut for the above?)

    Win2K, and apparently XP, seem to not support SCSI PnP,
    whereas under Win98 the scanner was discovered within
    about 5 seconds of power-on.

    Alex,

    You are looking at a limitation of SCSI. There are more modern SCSI host
    adapters with supporting software to handle hot-plugging of drives and other
    SCSI devices. But whichever SCSI adapter you are using does not handle
    hot-plugging. When the computer POSTs, the SCSI adapter does its interrogation
    to see which devices are out there. If the SCSI adapter does not see a device
    at a SCSI ID during POST, it will not see it until the system is rebooted again.

    Unfortunately, the movers and shakers behind SCSI (Adaptec, Adaptec, Adaptec,
    LSI, Microsoft, and the Linux developers) never saw fit to add the ability to
    sense new devices as they are powered up.

    What you can do is power on the SCSI scanner, boot the computer, then power down
    the scanner. Power it on when you need to use it. This ought to work. If
    not, leave the 6100c scanner powered on all the time. Except for a serious
    electrical power spike, you will neither wear it out not damage it by doing so.

    .... Ben Myers

    On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 16:25:56 -0500, "Alex" <none@none.net> wrote:

    >To get my Scanjet 6100c to work at all, I have to turn it on before the
    >computer boots... in other words leave it on all the time or reboot my PC
    >any time I need to use it... anyone have an idea as to how to get around
    >this? Once I get it going it works like a champ, I just wanted to know how
    >to save the life of the scanner by leaving it off while not needing it and
    >not having to reboot to use it... after all, reboots are for harware
    >upgrades.
    >
    >OS = XP
    >interface = SCSI
    >software = DeskScan v2.9

    Next time I reboot, I'll try that, Thanks!

    "craigm" <none@domain.invalid> wrote in message

    > "Alex" <none@none.net> wrote in message
    >> To get my Scanjet 6100c to work at all, I have to turn it on before the
    >> computer boots... in other words leave it on all the time or reboot my PC
    >> any time I need to use it... anyone have an idea as to how to get around
    >> this? Once I get it going it works like a champ, I just wanted to know
    >> how
    >> to save the life of the scanner by leaving it off while not needing it
    >> and
    >> not having to reboot to use it... after all, reboots are for harware
    >> upgrades.
    >>
    >> OS = XP
    >> interface = SCSI
    >> software = DeskScan v2.9
    >>

    > Alex,
    >
    > Have you tried this?
    > - power on the scanner, wait for it to initialize
    > - Right click on my computer and select properties
    > - click on the hardware tab
    > - select device manager
    > - select action then 'scan for hardware changes' (You may need to do this
    > twice.)
    >
    > Then load the scanner software.
    >
    > Works for me with a Scanjet 4C, Win XP, and precision scan software.
    >
    > craigm

    Tried it, it worked, thanks!

    Alex wrote:
    > Tried it, it worked, thanks!