motherboard power supply?

SephirothPD

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
Just ordered my new system. But im a bit confused about which or both 12v ports on the mother board to use. The new boards have the old port and a new 4 pin one.
Dont want to fry my cpu but at the same time i dont want it crashing due to lack of power. Can some one clear this up for me.. thanks

xeenrecoil

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2003
heya Sephiroth;

With the introduction of the p4 intel decided the p4 would need more stable power so it introduced a new standard for ATX, which included a second 12v power plug, its a square 4-pin plug, some manufactures also use what they call an "easy plug" which is a standard Molex plug which circumvents requiring a special "P4 Ready" power supply. AMD later adopted this standard as their own to fill their ever increasing power consumption needs. Now if your motherboard has both the 4-pin square plug, and the "easy plug" DO NOT plug in both at the same time. However one of them will be required for normal power operations.

SephirothPD

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
thanks for replie, but im still abit confused. Is the easy plug something like 12 pins long. Therefore i can use either the long plug or the 4 pin plug to power my board....???

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
There are no 12-pin long 12v supplemental power connections. How OLD is this board you're refering to, is it AT or something?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

SephirothPD

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
was just geusing at 12 pin. Im just on about the standard ATX power cable. My new board has that and a 4 pin one...
Do I use one or both?

Worf101

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2004
My ASUS A8V Deluxe requires that BOTH the 20 and the 4 pin power lines be plugged in at the same time or the system will NOT boot. I just changed HSF units so I know exactly what's in there and both are hooked up now. So go fig?

Da Worfster

If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Always Both.

OH yeah - RTFM! :wink:

---
Epox 8RDA+ V1.1 w/ Custom NB HS
XP1700+ @200x10 (~2Ghz), 1.4 Vcore
2x256Mb Corsair PC3200LL/1x512Mb Corsair XMS PC4000 2.5-3-3-7
Sapphire 9800Pro (VGA Silencer Rev3) @418/742<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by ChipDeath on 09/08/04 05:44 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
OK, a quick rundown:
ATX: 20-pin double row
newer server style ATX: 24-pin double row
ATX 12v: 4-pin square
AT: 12-pin flat, 2 connectors
older server supplemental power: 6-pin flat (same style as 1 AT connector).

Now, YOUR board should have the standard 20-pin ATX and 4-pin ATX12v connectors. You would use both.

If you had an older server board, you'd use the 20-pin and 6-pin.

If you had an older Dell board, you'd use the 20-pin and 6-pin, but you'd need a Dell power supply as well since Dell re-arranged the wires.

So it looks for you to be 20-pin and 4-pin.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

xeenrecoil

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2003
heh

There must be an illiteracy problem around the world, or perhaps its lack of general terms and knowledge, whatever the problem is, its definately annoying, i explain that the "easy plug" is a molex connector, and the guy doesnt know what a molex connector is when they have been around so long i cant even remember when they were actually introduced, over 10 years for sure.
I thought I gave a detailed explaination, I dunno I cant figure it...