WinXP with HP Laserjet 5 printer: stops responding

I am having a problem with a computer running WinXP home (service pack
1).
The computer is connected locally to an HP LaserJet 5 printer via
parallel port. When the user needs to print a document, nothing comes
out. In order to get the printout, they have to reboot the PC or they
have to call myself over and change the port settings in the LPT1
driver. I have tried many different settings in the properties for the
port (Legacy printing on/off, use interrupts). I have changed also in
the bios the setting for EPP/Bidirectional/ECP.
Does someone have a solution for this dillema?

Thanks
Mike McWhinney
2 answers Last reply
More about winxp laserjet printer stops responding

    Try attaching the printer to another computer to see if the same problem exists.
    If so, it is the printer, not Windows or the computer itself.

    Boot up the computer into DOS mode with a Windows 98 or ME setup disk, then copy
    a text file to the printer port, i.e. COPY /B CONFIG.SYS LPT1: Afterward, press
    the form feed botton on the printer to eject the page. Does this procedure work
    successfully? ... Ben Myers

    On 21 Dec 2004 07:33:13 -0800, eljainc@ameritech.net wrote:

    >I am having a problem with a computer running WinXP home (service pack
    >1).
    >The computer is connected locally to an HP LaserJet 5 printer via
    >parallel port. When the user needs to print a document, nothing comes
    >out. In order to get the printout, they have to reboot the PC or they
    >have to call myself over and change the port settings in the LPT1
    >driver. I have tried many different settings in the properties for the
    >port (Legacy printing on/off, use interrupts). I have changed also in
    >the bios the setting for EPP/Bidirectional/ECP.
    >Does someone have a solution for this dillema?
    >
    >Thanks
    >Mike McWhinney

    Another parallel cable? Network the printer with a JetDirect card? A mismatch
    in Windows printer settings and the actual printer setup itself, particularly
    the amount of memory? Not enough memory in the printer?

    The cause of the problem could just as well be the computer hardware or Windows
    or the printer itself... Ben Myers

    On 21 Dec 2004 07:33:13 -0800, eljainc@ameritech.net wrote:

    >I am having a problem with a computer running WinXP home (service pack
    >1).
    >The computer is connected locally to an HP LaserJet 5 printer via
    >parallel port. When the user needs to print a document, nothing comes
    >out. In order to get the printout, they have to reboot the PC or they
    >have to call myself over and change the port settings in the LPT1
    >driver. I have tried many different settings in the properties for the
    >port (Legacy printing on/off, use interrupts). I have changed also in
    >the bios the setting for EPP/Bidirectional/ECP.
    >Does someone have a solution for this dillema?
    >
    >Thanks
    >Mike McWhinney

Hewlett Packard Computer Laserjet Printers Computers