Sign in with
Your question

My system and Crysis

Last response: in Video Games
June 8, 2010 5:50:46 AM

Hey all, just wondering what the main drawback of my system would be in terms of playing crysis on max settings, no AA, 1280x1024 resolution?

Heres my specs:
- AMD Athlon II 2X 250 CPU
- 2GB DDR2 800 RAM
- Gigabyte Radeon HD 5750
- WD WD6400AAKS 640GB HDD
- 350W PSU

More about : system crysis

June 8, 2010 6:44:13 AM

Are you sure about your psu? AMD recommends a 450 w psu for the 5750.
June 8, 2010 6:55:13 AM

yea youre right but i do only have a 350W PSU as i upgraded my video card about a month ago but not the PSU, that was one of the things im wondering about, whether my PSU is hindering my GPU's performance. what do you think? i havnt had any noticable problems such as hardware cutting out or anything though.
Related resources
June 8, 2010 7:57:11 AM

If you haven't run any applications which are graphics intensive then you are not going to notice any problem.But I feel that when you run a game like Crysis there might be some problems like crashes.Other than that you would have no problem running crysis at those settings.I feel that you should upgrade your psu.There are plenty of good and affordable 450 w psu available.GOOD LUCK!
June 8, 2010 8:57:09 AM

yeah that rig can handle crysis on those settings
June 8, 2010 9:56:04 AM

yea ive already played crysis/ crysis warhead quite a bit with this setup and i dont seem to get any problems. (never had any crashes or anything).
Just wondering if my PSU could cause my video card to not be running at its full potential (i.e. giving lower frame rates)?
That would probably be the only reason that i would think about getting a better PSU at the moment because the guy who built my system didnt seem to think there would be too much of a problem with the PSU when he upgraded the card.
Also the main thing ive been thinking about though is whether its worth chucking in an extra 2GB of RAM?
June 8, 2010 10:08:38 AM

i personaly think its very worth upgrading to 4gb of RAM (what OS are you running btw?) i found that with 2 vs. 4, it eliminated those annoying 'this program is not responding' times and overal resulted in a smoother system
good luck mate
June 8, 2010 9:42:49 PM

RealityClash said:
Hey all, just wondering what the main drawback of my system would be in terms of playing crysis on max settings, no AA, 1280x1024 resolution?

Heres my specs:
- AMD Athlon II 2X 250 CPU
- 2GB DDR2 800 RAM
- Gigabyte Radeon HD 5750
- WD WD6400AAKS 640GB HDD
- 350W PSU

Like most others have said, your setup is fine for playing Crysis. One of the things about that game is, yes, it's very stressing on most systems, but Crytek didn't design it so *only* the top-tier systems could play it. @ the settings you're talking about, you'll do fine.

The only suggestions I'd make to you are about your RAM, PSU & HD.

RAM: The more the better. 4GB would be preferable, but if you can get more/stronger than that, great. But of course, it all depends on if you're running a 32-bit or 64-bit OS. Only 64-bit OS's can utilize 3.5GB+ amounts of RAM.

PSU: 350W is lower end. I use a 1000W one. You probably don't need that high an amount of wattage, but you should probably look to upgrading as soon as you're able. Newegg.com has a great, affordable selection. Just remember to do your research before buying. Also, issues might not be cropping up now with an underpowered PSU, but they might in the near future.

HD: Having a 640GB HD, did you partition it so where the OS resides has a much smaller area to work with, say 50GB, making it that much faster? Example: I use a WD Raptor X 150GB HD & it's partitioned into 4 sections:

1] OS [Windows XP SP3 32-bit] - 50GB
2] Games - 70GB
3] Media [Graphic & A/V Programs] - 20GB
4] Programs [Any software that doesn't fall into the categories above &/or isn't essential] - 10GB

I use 2 external HD's for storage.
June 9, 2010 5:04:23 AM

ok thanks. my OS is Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit, and no the HD isnt partitioned at all. what would be involved in partitioning my HD?
June 9, 2010 6:46:02 AM

RealityClash said:
ok thanks. my OS is Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit, and no the HD isnt partitioned at all. what would be involved in partitioning my HD?

First thing's first: partitioning means you'll have to nuke your HD. Meaning, you have to reinstall your OS. You'll need your OS install disc, of course. Most importantly, you're going to have to backup/save all your important files, music, programs, etc., on a separate/external/whatever HD cause EVERYTHING WILL BE ERASED.

Check this link out for all the info you need about partitioning.

Remember, the point of partitioning is to make the area that the OS resides smaller, so it has less area to cover every time a task needs to be performed. The bigger the area [amount of GB's] your HD has to run around in looking for stuff, the slower it is.

Like I said earlier, I have my OS on 50GB of the 150GB total available HD space. I would suggest maybe making your OS partition 50-70GB's. It's up to you. It doesn't matter which Windows OS you're using, cause that's all the space the average person is ever going to need for the Operating System.

Good luck.

PS ~ Here's a cool website that lets you convert MB's to GB's, perfect for Disk Partitioning needs.
June 9, 2010 9:08:25 AM

oh ok. well i dont think i really want to wipe my HD at the moment but thanks for the help.

By the way, I've just started having problems with the graphics in some of my games only today.
e.g. in Dawn of War 2 I've noticed that the main game menu looks as it normaly does (1280x1024 resolution, mainly high graphics settings) but just today all the in game graphics has been really poor quality (very low resolutions and graphics settings) even though none of the actual video settings in the options menu have changed.

On the other hand in CoD World at War the in game settings and resolutions are as normal but the main menu resoltions are very poor and once again in the graphics settings part of the game all settings are maxed and the resolution is at 1280x1024.

I'm just wondering if what tamz was saying about my video card not getting enough juice from my PSU could be the reason for all this???

this is the first time ive had any problems with my system since my video card was upgraded about a month ago.

What do you guys think?
June 10, 2010 8:19:25 AM

RealityClash said:
oh ok. well i dont think i really want to wipe my HD at the moment but thanks for the help.

By the way, I've just started having problems with the graphics in some of my games only today.
e.g. in Dawn of War 2 I've noticed that the main game menu looks as it normaly does (1280x1024 resolution, mainly high graphics settings) but just today all the in game graphics has been really poor quality (very low resolutions and graphics settings) even though none of the actual video settings in the options menu have changed.

On the other hand in CoD World at War the in game settings and resolutions are as normal but the main menu resoltions are very poor and once again in the graphics settings part of the game all settings are maxed and the resolution is at 1280x1024.

I'm just wondering if what tamz was saying about my video card not getting enough juice from my PSU could be the reason for all this???

this is the first time ive had any problems with my system since my video card was upgraded about a month ago.

What do you guys think?

Well even though the settings are maxed out ,when the actual game starts maybe the details are automatically lowered in order to prevent crashes because the GPU isn't getting enough juice from the PSU.I don't know but it seems to be a possibility.
June 10, 2010 8:21:24 AM

Forgot to add: what psu are you actually using?A complete spec of it will be useful.
June 10, 2010 11:01:33 AM

hmm but if that was the case do you know why this would have only started happening lately as ive played both these games before many times on my current system?
And what sort of thing would I be looking for on the PSU because last time i remember looking at it, it seemed quite confusing and i had trouble just trying to find out the wattage haha.
June 10, 2010 12:20:23 PM

RealityClash said:
hmm but if that was the case do you know why this would have only started happening lately as ive played both these games before many times on my current system?
And what sort of thing would I be looking for on the PSU because last time i remember looking at it, it seemed quite confusing and i had trouble just trying to find out the wattage haha.

Wattage isn't the only thing that needs to be looked at while getting a psu.The most important thing is the amperage from the 12V rail from the psu.The 12V rail supplies power to the most important components of the PC like the CPU, drives , graphic cards etc. Thus higher the amperage(ie. current drawn) the better chance you have of running the higher end components.Here is a general recommendation for the minimum amperage from the 12V rail and the relative PSU wattage:
* Small Form Factor - 15A (250W)
* Mini-Tower - 25A (300-350W)
* Mid-Tower - 35A (400-500W)
* Full Tower - 40A (600-650W)
* Dual Video Card (SLI/CrossFire) - 60A (850W+)
The second important thing is whether the PSU will be able to handle all the components under full load.That is where the efficiency rating comes into play.A PSU rated at 800W with 80% efficiency means that the PSU will draw 1000W power from the socket in order to give a 800W output.That is because 0.8X1000W=800W.Thus in order to get the right PSU for your needs, you must have a PSU that can deliver at least 50W more than the combined power draw of all the components under full load.

You say that you upgraded a month ago.Have you tried these games on your system since them?
June 11, 2010 5:18:19 AM

ok ill have a look tonight :) 

and yes ive played both of these games quite a few times since my upgrade without problems. Ive also completed both crysis campaigns on max settings at 1280x1024 resolution without any problems at all since my upgrade.
June 14, 2010 11:30:31 AM

RealityClash said:
hey i finally got round to having a look at my PSU.
i wasnt sure exactly what i was supposed to be looking for so heres a pic. (hopefully it shows the information you need as some of the writing was blocked)

http://z3eikg.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pFLdG2xksbd-JURCB...

hope this helps

All right; your psu can give a total of 16A on the 12V rail.Now the Athlon II X2 250 has a TDP of 65W.So it consumes 65/12=5.4A.The 5750 has a TDP of 86 watts.So it gets 86/12=7.2A.Throw in another 2 A for all the other components(disk, drives, motherboard etc) and you have 5.4+7.2+2=14.6A.That is on the limit of what your PSU can handle.So you should definitely think about investing on your PSU as this scenario can vary depending on what programs you run
!