Sign in with
Your question

Red light on motherboard

Last response: in Motherboards
September 9, 2004 6:46:22 PM

I have a new NF7-S mobo and it doesn't POST. I suspect my old AMD processor. I notice when I have the computer plugged in that there is a red light on the mobo. Does anyone know what it is? I can't find it in the manual. Also, besides changing out my processor, does anyone have any suggestions on testing? If I take out the processor completely the computer won't POST right? Thanks.

Always remember, you are unique...just like everyone else. :wink:

More about : red light motherboard

September 9, 2004 8:41:11 PM

what video card do you have in it?

<font color=blue>This guy here is <i><b>dead!</b></i></font color=blue>
<font color=red>Cross him <i><b>off</b></i> then.
September 9, 2004 8:41:49 PM

As for the red light on the mobo, thats just there to let you know that the power cord is plugged in and the PSU switch is ON. (It is in the manual somewhere, just in small type)

When you press the power button, does anything happen? Do the fans spin for a second then stop? Do you get any POST codes? Have you tried with the board out of the case and only the video card/RAM/CPU plugged in?

XP2800+, Abit NF7, 1GB Dual-Channel DDR333, ATI R9800PRO 128MB, SB Live! 5.1 Digital, TT PurePower 420W, Samsung 120GB, Maxtor 120GB, LG DVD+-R/RW, WIN2K PRO SP4
Related resources
September 9, 2004 8:57:25 PM

1. Leadtek GEForce 2 Ti

2. No POST codes, no POST. When I start it up the case fan starts, I didn't check the CPU fan yet, and the power LED in front of the case goes solid for a short time but the HD LED doesn't. Screen is black.

Always remember, you are unique...just like everyone else. :wink:
September 9, 2004 9:04:27 PM

Agent;

Reset c-mos.
a b V Motherboard
September 10, 2004 6:15:01 AM

Does it turn on for a few seconds and shut off?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
November 17, 2009 6:21:30 AM

I have the exact same problem with a 7-month old HP Compaq dc5750 that was working perfectly. I had the PC boxed & crated, and shipped to the Philippines. It arived DOA???

I get absolutley zero signal to the keyboard or video monitor whether the digitlal or anallog connection is used??? Exhaust fan, CPU fan, lights, USB, HD, and mouse appear to be fine. The monitor indicates it is now connected when is actually is???

Any clues??? Maybe something funny with the building wiring, wired out of phase, etc. fried the board???

Any clues are appecieated since I am now on the other side of the globe and away from familiar resources.

Thanks!

Danny

a c 156 V Motherboard
November 18, 2009 4:45:18 PM

agent, as sparky said, the red LED tells you that the power supply is plugged into wall and physically switched on. It's powered by a small, completely separate section of the PSU called the standby power supply.

Our standard checklist and troubleshooting thread for both of you:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-read-postin...
November 3, 2011 12:26:14 AM

I have this problem. The CPU is working fine when it's not connected to any USB device. But when USB is connected, the CPU automatically (all of sudden black out) restart again, and again (whenever the USB is still connected) right after Logo screen. The light inside the CPU/motherboard is solid red. The fan is working. Even I tried with Jumper plugged off
!